I'm venting- only because there is no where else to go

8cats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know if any of this will help. Are you on Medicare? If so check into home health care. Before my mother passed we were able to get home health care. She had the medicare program off and on for 8 years. They came in and did wound dressing and we even had a aide that came in twice a week to give baths and general things for the patient. Also you could check into any respit groups in your area. These are volunteers that come into your home and just sit with patient to give the care giver a break. I am not sure what state you are in, but in my state if you go to a county hospital you can get most of your medical bills written off if you do not have insurance coverage. We also got a lot of "free" samples from the doctor for perscriptions.

Also for anyone else's information if you have a friend or loved one who is nearing the end, get them into a hospice program. The federal government requires that they pay for at least 95% of all medical needs. The group that we got for my mother paid 100% for all the medical equipment, (beds, oxogen machine, wheel chair) all perscriptions and a nurse 3 times a week, a home health aide 3 times a week, all her food for the feeding tube feedings and a respit worker 2 times a week. They did this for the last 8 months of my mother's life. They did so with a caring, loving touch. They gave her diginty to the very end. And they are now doing what they can to help my father deal with her passing.

I hope this information is helpful. I will keep you both in my prayers.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
MA, I am glad you were able to convince him to get this re-checked. I hope that he heals quickly now with the new drugs. Next time you are back at the doctor's, explain your financial situation and ask if he has any samples you can get. Doctor's often do have free samples they can give on a discresionary basis.

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still praying the 'stubborn husband please get well' prayer for Mike, and praying for you, too.

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Speaking of concerned, thank you all for yours. Please know that I am doing the best I can, but I want a refund on a stubborn husband- anyone know what department I go to for that?
Darlin', when you find that department, let me know, I think we might can get a group rate!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've just been able to catch up on this!.

My husband used to be the same when it come to going to the doctors and i ended up getting so frustrated and upset that i lost it in the end and screamed "IF YOU LOVE ME YOU WOULD GO FOR ME!!!!".

It worked though!

Hope he's a lot better soon and tell him from this feisty British bird that "WOMEN KNOW BEST!"

bossinova

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
MA, I've been keeping up with this thread from day one, and I am relieved to see that you were able to get him seen by a Dr. again. He quite obviously needed it very badly. Now, my understanding is that he was seen in an ER, right? If so, you should be able to work out something with the hospital for payment on your visit. This usually ranges from a payment plan to full financial assistance (meaning the hospital writes it off and you pay nothing). As for prescription costs, they should have a social worker you can work with that can mitigate between your financial need and the pharmacy that can usually help. Where I worked, quite often patients with no medical insurance that had very expensive prescriptions (for antibiotics only, they will not do this for pain medicine), they were often able to work it out so that the patient did not have to pay, or only pay a portion. I realize that this is after the fact, but if his antibiotics end up being more than one cycle, please do keep this in mind. This is a fantastic resource that a lot of people are not aware exists. So, if you end up needing a refill on his antibiotic, call the hospital and chat with their social worker. See what they can work out for you. These programs are in force for people who need it, and Mike certainly needs these meds. This sounds like a nasty, persistant bacteria, and he needs to stay on top of it and not stop until it's 100% gone (but you already knew that, didn't you?
).

I really really hope that he is on his wa to a speedy recovery now that he has a stronger antibiotic and is willing to really let himself heal. Does he realize now how serious this is? I hope so. It's so frustrating from your end, I know. These men are so wonderful and add so much to your life, but when it comes to medical stuff, it's like their brains shut off and their heels dig in. For what reason, I have no clue. My honey is the same way, he's a Type 1 diabetic and hasn't been to a Dr. for a check up in years. Hello, you need monitering!! Nothing seems to work- not scare tactics, not bribery...I feel you on this one, honey!! But you are doing a fabulous job, and hopefully he's much more compliant now. You are both in my thoughts and prayers. I know it's mentally and physically exhausting to be on the caregiver side, and I know he's certainly not feeling well at all. Please take care of you, too. This isn't punishment for you! Take some time for yourself, you more than deserve it.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just renewing the prayers, MA
Hope your patient is being more cooperative and will start feeling some better soon, and also that you're managing a little space for you. Please take care.

missy&spikesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just wanted you to know I was thinking of you RIGHT now!!! I do hope that your husband is improving vastly, at this point. Men, can be (and most often, ARE) SOOOOOOOOO stubborn. I think, when they get sick, they take it as a personal affront to their "maleness" and their personal strength...
My DH is Quadriplegic. He really IS a wonderful man.... But, you find him sick--and I can GUARANTEE you, he will diminish it, and deny it and DEFINITELY stick his head in the sand to ignore any and all symptoms!!! In July, he had a TERRIBLE systemic infection(Pseudomonas). --One which is highly anti-biotic resistant, and therefore, a "Super-Infection". When he did become symptomatic, the symptoms came on, fast and furiously. He suddenly was running a very high temp and was hallucinating. HOWEVER, after trying to figure out what-the-heck was going on, and trying to get his temp down, etc...ect... I decided he was, by the hour, doing worse. So, with his LOUD denials that he "Was FINE!" and one-sided arguements that he was NOT going anywhere with the ambulance and squad, they did arrive with my call and take him to the ER. I apologized and told him, very simply: " I am real sorry you are so upset and angry at me right now. But you are WAY too ill for me to take care of you safely at home... The hospital did get him better (thankfully!!!!!!!!)
Is your DH on disability, or anything like that? If so(OR, even if NOT so!), you should REALLY try to call your local Area Dept. Of Aging. In our town, it is not listed with the local, state of federal govt. Offices. It is listed in the Business white pages!
My DH is not really old, but his disability DID qualify him for their help. The Local Area Dept. Of Aging, are actually a networking agency and can be of such HUGE help!!! Unless someone like them knows what you and your DH are up against, they would not come knocking on your door with help. BUT, that help IS out there, and with Prescription prices "Off the Charts"!!!, it is great when Doctors opt for lower costing medications, or find help to get the prescriptions filled as needed.
THINKING OF YOU--and get your rest, as you NEED to stay strong.

cilla

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
MA I'm sorry I haven't been here for you. I am shocked, and my love goes out to you, I hope you feel it surround you, and my prayers are with you. How I wish I could be there with you, but in spirit I am.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks we just got back from another appointment. He is still not out of the woods yet, so they want to see him in 2 days again to put more packing into the wound. They renewed his pain meds and right now, thankfully, he is sleeping-