I'm training Brenna, and it's working!

catbythesea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just want to share a behavior thing that makes me happy. Also it makes me feel clever, because I'm training Brenna, and I love watching her little gears turn while she works things out. She's such a clever girl! So this is what I've been doing with her, and it's working!

Brenna is a Supervisor Cat, so she has to watch everything that's going on in the house. Her favorite thing to watch is when we're in the kitchen making food. Now that we make the cat food there, she sits in the Cat Chair and watches very very closely while we're cutting up the meat and such. At first, she really wanted to climb up on the counter, and that was frustrating. The other thing she does is keep her rump on the chair but put her paws on the counter. But I have a powerful tool when I'm in the kitchen- food that she really wants! So first I taught her "Paws Down," where if she put up her paws, and then one of us told her "Paws Down!" and she listened, treat time! Until she got really good at that. That took maybe 2 days for her to do it reliably. She only really puts her paws up when we're making food or dishing out food, so if we aren't making the food, we just withhold her dish until she complies. She's smart, so it doesn't take her long to track down her mind and remember what the command is for, even when she's excited about dinner time. Now we don't even need to give her a treat and she responds to the command.

So far, so good! But she's figured out that she has to put her paws UP before she can do her "trick" and take them DOWN. And we don't want her to just pop up and down like that, expecting a treat all the time. So I changed tactics today. What I really want from her is to have her sit quietly, or at least politely, in the Cat Chair while I'm doing things in the kitchen. I noticed that she tends to put up her paws when I'm starting to offer her a treat, especially if I haven't asked for her "trick." So, I hold out a piece of meat, and as soon as she starts to rear up, I pull it away but don't scold or say anything. She's smart, and she wants the treat, so she tries to figure out what I want. She tries to bat at my hand, or bat at the counter top, or put her paws up and then down, and finally after maybe 30 seconds of trying different things, she just sits down, confused. Treat! Good girl. We just did that over and over until she learned to sit and wait for me to put the treat right next to her. She's really getting the hang of it! The last half of my meat-cutting went a lot faster than the first half. I gave her a treat or two whenever she'd been sitting still for a little while. I think a few more days, and she'll be a Very Polite Kitty. :) And when it's not food time, if she forgets herself, we can remind her "Paws Down!"

The next thing I want to do with her is develop some kind of behavior she can use to ask us for food. Something that's less obnoxious than wailing at us, winding herself around our ankles till we fall over, etc. That's her usual method, and it's not that I don't want to feed her! But those things are irritating to us, and if we can all come to an agreement on what she can do to tell us she's hungry or needs attention, I think things will go more smoothly.Any ideas on a good behavior to encourage? She needs to not get on the counter top, and sitting in the Cat Chair is something she wants to do a lot of the time because it is like having a cat shelf in the kitchen, so I don't think simply hopping in the chair is a viable one. 

I don't have a clicker yet, but probably I will end up getting one and learning how to use it. I can see how it must be a powerful tool, when used right. This is so much fun! I love that I can teach her new things that make both of us happier. At the end of our little training session today, Brenna was purring and loving on me a whole bunch. She enjoyed it! She figured out how the human treat dispenser works, and I think she liked the puzzle of it. 

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really like the Cat Chair idea. Paws DOWN is too cute. Yup, she has figured out the human treat dispenser.

I am not sure about the good behavior for feeding. I'm not sure how old she is, but getting her on scheduled feedings would be good, so there wouldn't be any food begging (unless you're late!). Does she have a feeding station she can go to show you when she's hungry?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catbythesea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep, she's been on scheduled feeding for several months now. She's around a year old, and we adopted her in May. But, she's still growing, and some days she's hungrier than others and needs an extra snack in the evening. We also recently switched foods on her, twice (now she's eating a raw diet, which she loves), and that combination of things - the growing plus the food switches - means she needs to tell us we haven't given her enough sometimes. As with all growing creatures, it's a little hard to predict and we're not used to how much she needs of the raw yet.

When anything big changes in the house, Brenna also seems to respond with worry about whether the food is going to arrive on time, so even before feeding time sometimes she wants to come get us and make sure the silly humans remember to feed her. I'd like her to have a better way of asking when she feels that need. She was taken from a too-many-cats situation that I don't have the details on, so we suspect that has something to do with why she responds to changes in this way. All we can really do is make sure she gets enough, and give her a routine for long enough that she feels secure. And, make sure she can ask for reassurance and receive it. 

A lot of the reason I want her to have a specific way to ask is that she seems to really want to ask me for things. She's a talkative kitty - she trills and purrs and chirps all the time. She's always telling me something. But when she really wants a specific thing, like an extra snack, or even play time or cuddles, she tends to go straight to the upset sounding crying/wailing. That makes me a little upset! I'm sure that she's willing to learn a new way to get my attention, though, as long as the new way works every time. It's the getting what she needs that she's interested in, after all! 

Brenna does have a feeding spot. The first thing I taught her when she arrived was where that spot is, and the command "Go to your spot." I tell her this when I'm holding her bowl, all ready to walk over there and set it down. This way, she scoots over to her spot instead of tangling herself up in my feet while I'm trying to get there to feed her. 
 She does a great job with it. She learned that so fast, I thought I may as well try to expand what I'm teaching her!

I'm sure with time a lot of this will settle down. We've had a crazy summer, and I know the cats are feeling it too. I'm sure with Dandy's (my dog, pictures on my profile) end-of-life issues Brenna noticed the dog was getting more than a "fair share" of the attention. And, consequently, that Brenna was getting less. Now that Dandy has passed on (last Friday), I am able to pay attention to the cats again. Now I have an opportunity to teach Brenna better ways to work with me on how the household ought to run. She's our Cat in Charge, so that's very important to her, and of course, it's important to me as well. She's such a smart girl. I'm very impressed with how well she takes the training. She really wants to learn! I love her so much.

I've had Dandy for nearly as long as I have memories. Now that she's gone, I'm latching on to the cats more. I have a hole in my heart that needs to heal up, and the best salve for it is to love up these cats and the cats at the shelter where I volunteer.  They aren't Dandy, but they are beautiful and clever in their own right. 

Well, that got away from me a little bit! I hope I managed to answer your question somewhere in there....

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss of Dandy. It sounds like you're doing great with Brenna. She does sound smart. I just can't think of a behavior that doesn't involve the kitchen.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catbythesea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. She was the best dog ever. I did everything I could to give her a good life, and she always knew I was her special person, just like she was my special dog. She liked other people a lot, but if I was calling, it was like they didn't exist. 

Brenna's continuing to improve. Today she sat quite well in the Cat Chair. In fact, she was so excited that she'd mastered sitting still and getting treats, she almost didn't get up to Go To Her Spot for dinner time! Hahaha. Seeing that tasty food walk right past her did the trick, though. 

We'll think of something for her to use as Request Behavior. I've been watching her and thinking about what she already does that would be easy to encourage.