I'm the new guy

my cat mellow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am from England but currently live in Yorktown V
Hello and welcome, This site is great hopefully you will like it as much as we all do!

First question. I only have one cat, I am at home all day and he is perfectly content with someone to hang out I play with him, I do think once I work full time he will get lonley.

Second Question. I have small apartment with one scratching post which is fine for my cat, make sure your post is a nice solid one that doesnt move around. if you are worried bout cat scratching furniture try soft paws these are rubber caps that go over the kittys nails to stop them ruining things he/she should not be touching

Third. we probably spent about $200 on Mellow in the first month for his vet visit, adoption fees, inital start up costs etc, monthly costs are not to bad, food is fairly cheap, there are some interesting threads on the site about what to look for in a food.

Fourth. Da BirdMellow loves this, he is just over a year old and goes crazy for this toy!

Fifth I have not had a child so dont know the answer....

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by conbrio

UPDATE
One of the biggest problems about waiting to get a cat is that my 3 year old asks every morning, noon, and night when we are getting a cat and where is it.
Sending lots of vibes that you hear from her soon.

Here is a temporary kitty for your 3 year old.

Not quite the same is it.

iluvdevons

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!!

First question. Since he has a sister that came in with him, should I consider getting them both? They are both about 2 years of age. I was thinking about getting only one, but might reconsider.
I would seriously think about adopting both of them. Assuming they get along well, they will be great company for each other. (I myself am about to get my second kitty, which I think will greatly enrich Ares's life.)
Second Question. Do I need a scratching post or something to scratch in every room of the house?
I would get a scratching post for the living room, and if you have a second story, I might get one for a room up there. (Put in places that you fell your kitty will spend alot of time at - don't hide it in the corner of a room that no one uses.)
Third. About how much money should I budget every month for a cat. for food, litter, and a fund for the vet. (need to make sure that I can afford a cat(s) before we officially get a cat(s))
It greatly depends on what food and litter that you buy for the kitty, along with how healthy the kitty is and if they are neutered or spayed prior to coming home. I buy a $40.00, 34 pound bag of WBCL, which is a corn based litter, which lasts about 2 months. I buy Natural Balance Venison and Pea wet and Duck and Pea dry, which comes to about $40.00 a month. As for vet expenses, your kitties will need shots and neutering/spaying, but if they are otherwise healthy, you will probably see a vet once a year.

Fourth. If there is one cat toy that you could not do without, what is it.
Well, I have 2 toys. For interactive play with your kitty, I'd go with Da Bird wand. For a toy that kitty plays with by him/herself, I buy Petmate Looney-Loops Cat Toy at Petco. They come in a 3-pack for about $3.00, but are great entertainment and exercise
Fifth and probably most important. Should I wait to get a cat till after my wife gives birth? She has already told me that I am in charge of the cat and the litter box. She WILL NOT touch the litter box.
I think that you could get kitties now. Try taping cries of a baby and playing it for the cats, so they are used to it. Also, dab yourself with baby products, such as baby powder and lotion, so that when the baby comes, the smells will be familiar. As for the litterbox, I scoop mine a couple times a day and don't see it as an unpleasant task - my Hubby scoops occasionally, but not often. (I use a Litter Locker to store the waste in for later disposal.)