I'm taking in a nursing mom and her kittens, need advice

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Should I be concerned that they are still only interested in nursing? I moved moms dry food up out of their reach last week because one of the kittens almost choked on a piece of dry food. She really wasn't trying to eat it, she just picked it up like they do everything else. They also try and taste the litter. I don't know, some of the stuff I read says they should be weaned by 6 weeks which seems young to me especially with the hard start these babies had with a too young mom that was not fed adequate food. I really don't want to rush their weaning since they seem so much better than they were when I got them here. Mom actually looks like she has a much better milk supply now too, since she is eating better. I'm inclined to not push solid food on them quite yet. 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I read says they should be weaned by 6 weeks which seems young to me
You are right, it was sheer rubbish.  Old tales when they even could be sold at 6 weeks.  Gah!

True, usually they had begin to eat own food at this time, but if you arent in hurry so why force things?

If mom is happy with giving them milk so dont force, let it take its natural time.

Good luck!

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I will not worry for now that they aren't interested in the thinned canned food. Mom likes it thinned anyway. I'm planning on keeping the kittens until they are at least 12 weeks and I can get them spayed and neutered before finding them forever homes. I wish I could keep them but I already have 5 cats now. 

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So far one of the kittens will eat the thinned canned food and a second one is interested but I haven't seen her eat. The third one hasn't shown any interest.

Oh and mama hasn't gained any more weight but she also hasn't lost any. She is eating a ton, 6-9 oz of canned food day plus over a cup of dry food. 

Last edited:

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The two girl kittens are now eating the thinned canned food but the little boy is still uninterested. Mom is eating a ton, a good 2 cups a day of dry food plus 2-3 small cans. They are really starting to play like kittens now. Lots of running, pouncing, rabbit kicks and wrestling. All their eyes are now a light blue, they were dark blue up until the last couple days. Not sure what the final colors will be yet.