I'm such a whimp!! What would you do?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We got a little snow here yesterday; not a ton but a few inches. We get snow here where I live; but it's still not handled like it is in states that get a lot. I live on a semi-country road; but they've done a good job plowing it since we moved in (summer of 09). The plows were out yesterday and the sun was out in the afternoon.

This morning the road in front of the house looked really good and dry; so I decided I'd go alone to see my friend in the hospital who just had her baby. Boy was I wrong about the roads!! The wind picked up yesterday and it was blowing the snow back over the roads and freezing it! It was sunny and gorgeous; but I almost went off the road! A few spots had me bumping around some but nearly going off the road was sooo scary for me! I HATE driving in the snow. I was so tense my back started to spasm!

Once I got to the highway it was better. But I found on my way home that even the highway was having that problem on the South bound side where there were fields. I took a different route home; it felt safer because it was less country road. Then I made DH take me and the baby to do the grocery shopping. Normally I love to do that alone!

So Tuesday the baby has a doctor appt. Just a well baby visit; nothing major. But I'm thinking I might reschedule.... I'm not sure that they are going to get our roads any better before this wind calms down. They keep changing the amount of snow they expect us to get Tuesday afternoon. (Appt is in the morning.)

So what would you do? Reschedule or go and hope everything is clear? DH can't take us unfortunately.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Reschedule.

Better safe than sorry imo. There's nothing wrong with being overly catious when it comes to yours and the babies safety especially when it comes to driving.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
reschedule. If there is any doubt its not worth it.
I am the same way I do not drive in the snow. It scares me a lot. Mostly because we hadnt had a bad winter in about 9 years. Then last year it got bad, and this year is worse!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ugh! I was just looking at the forecast. They are only calling for snow showers Tuesday; but Wednesday will be windy. She has an appt here at home on Friday afternoon but maybe we can do an am one. And it looks like they are calling for more snow showers early next week! Sheesh!

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Reschedule.
I am like you I do not like driving in snow at all..and I live in WA..which means I get driven around alot half the year
and even then I try to fit all my errands into times people can drive me. I get so tense and freaked out too it is just not worth it. I was born and raised in CA and only been here a few years and I refuse to drive in it. No reason to take the risk unless it's an absolute emergency and no one else can drive you, IMO.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Reschedule - the appointment is not urgent or important enough to justify the risk to you and your baby. And you are not a wimp, you feel unsure about driving in the ice so you should go with your instincts.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks guys! Part of me wonders if I'm not "overreacting" a bit. But this is something that has always been difficult for me.

I think I'll check the forecasts again in the morning and decide from there. If I do go; the pediatrician is only about a 10 minute drive away normally. I just don't want to cancel last minute and get charged for it. (I think her ped does this; I know the doc I worked for did!)

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Always been difficult for me too. I envy people who can drive in all weather and aren't phased. I also have anxiety issues to begin with so driving can turn into a real nightmare for me really quickly!!
But you are not alone! I check the forecast for the smallest of errands, that's how "wimpy" I am, we can be wimps together, trust your instinct

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks!
I'm going to see what DH says about the roads tomorrow too. It's so weird; because it's the wind messing up the road you go from perfect nice pavement to packed snow/ice, back to perfect pavement. I think if he says the spots on our road are better tomorrow morning I may still go. If the forecasts are ok. I'm just kind of afraid that it's not going to get any better than it is or may be.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I would re-schedule it... We got a couple of inches of snow here too... The thing is, we also got rain and then the temperature quickly dropped to below freezing conditions, and that transformed into black-ice. Very dangerous to drive. I am supposed to drive tomorrow to the vet to pick up some syringes for Gracie and I am not sure what I am going to do... The last time I drove on black ice was driving at 10M/HR and my truck was dancing on the freeway like I was Ice-skating... I had no control at all. I am hoping it warms up well tomorrow by noon, but if it doesn't, I don't think I am risking it.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
If you were going alone, I'd say to take a chance. But with the baby, I think I'd re-schedule.

I can drive in snow and ice. I can, but I don't like it. It I have a good car with good tires, I'll pretty much go anywhere and I'd never call off work. My PT Cruiser is not a good snow car, so DH takes me to work on snowy days. And that's his choice. Right after we bought Clarence, DH drove it during a snowstorm....we had about 3 inches on the road with more coming down. He came back from his drive and told me that I will never drive that car in snow. I have and it's not a good car for winter weather. It's just too light.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks.
I'm still debating here. Looks like snow showers until about 3. I just sent my husband a text and he said the roads are a little better so far; and the wind is better. So hopefully it's not still blowing the snow back onto the roads. But he also had to take my car to work today. His wouldn't start. I'm hoping it's just the cold weather. There is no way I'm driving him to work tomorrow morning and picking him up! He doesn't get off till after dark most days. Hmmm..... :/

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd go Tuesday,... but that's because I'm not worried about driving in snow and ice. If you're concerned about the roads, reschedule!
You don't want to be doubting yourself while driving down the road worrying! If you'd feel more comfortable with it rescheduled, then I'd suggest doing that.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I did one even better than reschedule! I called my step-dad!

I did try to start DH's car after it warmed up some more. I think it's the battery. So I was going to be without a car either way tomorrow (I am not going out in the snow to get DH from work! By the time he is done for the day it will certainly be accumulating!) So I called my mother and found out my step-dad just happens to have tomorrow off. Gave him a call; he will take us to her doctor appointment!
He can drive through anything.

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

I did one even better than reschedule! I called my step-dad!

I did try to start DH's car after it warmed up some more. I think it's the battery. So I was going to be without a car either way tomorrow (I am not going out in the snow to get DH from work! By the time he is done for the day it will certainly be accumulating!) So I called my mother and found out my step-dad just happens to have tomorrow off. Gave him a call; he will take us to her doctor appointment!
He can drive through anything.
That's great that he can take you. If he couldn't, rescheduling would be the thing to do. If it's not urgent and your not comfortable driving, why take the risk?

But personally, I'd probably drive through it. But then again, I like winter driving (yes, I actually like it). I don't know why, but I've always been good at it.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by TigerOnTheProwl

That's great that he can take you. If he couldn't, rescheduling would be the thing to do. If it's not urgent and your not comfortable driving, why take the risk?

But personally, I'd probably drive through it. But then again, I like winter driving (yes, I actually like it). I don't know why, but I've always been good at it.
Can you come teach me?
I keep saying that when I was a teenager learning to drive I should have gone up to my Dad's in New York so he could teach me.

Well it turns out the roads were all dry this morning when we went! They look maybe damp right now. The cars I see going by don't seem to be having any troubles and there is no snow sticking. I saw some tiny flakes coming down a little while ago.