I'm still shaking...

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awww. I'll be honest, i'm a novice when it comes to ferels. I've only ever seen a ferel cat in this country on the odd animal rescue shows and from what i gather their mainly on farms over here?!.

Cleo in those pictures looks just like any normal cat, to me anyway?!, but it's obviously due to the care and feeding that people like MA give

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Susan, ferals and strays are literally everywhere. Shopping centres, fast food places, farms, garden centres, apartment buildings, back gardens, schools, universities - almost always outside. They are very good at keeping away and often only come out at night because of all the hustle and bustle that goes on during the day. You have most likely visited these places without even knowing ferals live there. Sometimes they are left to exist on their own, scrounging for food and breeding freely and sometimes there are managed colonies where the cats are fed, given medical treatment, vaccinations and TNR'd (Trapped, Neutered/Spayed and Returned).

Most strays and ferals look thin if they're not in a managed colony but really, apart from that, look pretty normal unless they are sick or injured. MA's (hissy's) ferals are all part of a managed colony. If they are very feral and not able to be rehabilitated or rehomed, they become part of MA's colony, where they are wonderfully cared for. These cats never come inside the house and are only trapped (often with difficulty) when they need medical treatment. There is another level of ferals where the cats are still part of the colony but are OK to be petted and touched by MA (usually after a long and involved process of the cat learning to get to know and trust MA), but still live outside. Cleo is one of these. MA also has cats that are former ferals. They are inside/outside 'house' cats. Sometimes they have behavioural problems which other people are not willing to deal with, so they become part of MA's family.

MA, please correct me here if I haven't explained something properly.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for explaining that Tania

I know when i was in Greece there were ferels there which i used to feed twice a day by leaving the food under a bush for them, but obviously they would run off if ever i went towards them

I really havent seen any where i live apart from the cats who live in the street, but i'll be looking out for them now!.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nope you pretty much nailed it Tania. Pretty darn good description too! I am always amazed when some people insist there are no strays or ferals in their area, because they are everywhere. Under porches, under houses, in the woods, in the parks, behind restaurants and fast food places. At a popular restaurant here in town, there is an old tom that can't be trapped. The owner of the place finally put bedding out behind the dumpsters and started feeding this old guy. I have seen the cat many times, a siamese mix and I am able to just barely touch him on the top of his head (because I bring him food) but that's the closest he lets me get. Every time this owner puts out a nice bed for this cat he will curl up in it and sleep at night- but someone keeps stealing his bedding!
He hides in the woods behind the bowling alley when people come up so while he is hiding, some low life is taking his nice warm bed!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
MA, I know I'm sleep deprived and emotionally on edge because of what's going on in my life now, and I know Cleo's not "out of the woods" yet, so to speak, but I am crying tears of joy. First, that he has you and knows it and has the good sense to come when he needs care. Second, that he is taking his medication. I hope that was the last abscess, and I'm sending up prayers that he stays as long as he needs to to properly rest and heal up before taking off again.

I continue to send prayers to Mike and you.

Thank God for the Mary Annes of the world (though there truly is just ONE of you!) - and damn the bed-stealers. How insanely petty and awful. Truly sick.