I'm Speaking Up - Would You?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all your replies!

Originally Posted by katl8e

...The schools get these subsidies and, if they don't distribute ALL of the money, they have to give back thw surplus and get less, the next year. That may be why this "undeserving" family is getting the subsidy.
That's a good point. This afternoon I asked one of the single moms I know if she had plans for summer camp for her daughter and she said, "No, I can't afford it." I could name a dozen families (that I know personally) who deserve this subsidy, but only two kids per class were picked.

Originally Posted by Mirinae

...My thoughts, though, wasn't that it was like "summer school," but more like "finding things for kids at risk to do." I mean, if the family is so awful as to find it hilarious that they're getting to send their kid to camp for free when they can so easily afford it and others can't ... well, maybe it's fair to say that their kid can use all the help he/she can get, and would qualify as being an "at-risk" kid....
Also good point.

Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Have you heard them make light of the situation themselves or is it just something you heard from someone?

Also, while they may have money, it doesn't sound like they have very much time to spend with their child, let alone take her camping or anywhere else for that matter.
They joked about it to me! They have done this before, too, about other things. I don't know why people always tell me about their finances.
It's kind of weird; I would rather not know. I don't talk about our finances!

Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

If you have any doubts about whether speaking up would do harm to the little girl in question, rather than just right a wrong regarding her family's financial standing... then maybe the thing to do is ask to speak to the person in charge of choosing participants and ask how he/she determines which families are "needy" and which aren't....
You are right. I need more information. I got two different answers (one from the school office where I volunteer and one from the first educator I spoke to) about the selection process.

It wouldn't bother me so much if the parents (dad especially) wouldn't laugh how people think they are poor when they are not. I wonder if I'm being vindictive because this family is the train wreck... if some of you remember my post about the bully in my daughter's class. The subsidy is for her little brother.

I wonder if my personal feelings are too strong to be objective.
That's why I posted here and I've tried to list just the facts as I know them. I really appreciate all the opinions here.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oooo. Hate to sound, um, ugly? but maybe they decided that this boy needs to get away from his sister for a few weeks? Otherwise, I think they definitely should have picked someone who really couldn't afford it.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gonna go against the grain here, but you have no idea what this family's financial situation is and it isn't any of your business. Even if they are laughing about it publicly, which is stupid, maybe they just don't want people to know whatever has possibly gone wrong in their lives.

It sounds more like a scholarship than anything, and the teachers chose who to give it to, so why are you objecting to their choice?

noludoru

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Why... because if it is set up for children/families who do not have the resources to send their kids to camp for the summer, only families who do not have the resources should have children being sent.

SwampWitch, I am totally with you on this. Please do something about it. Even if part of your drive to do it is b/c of what a bully one of the family's children was, the fact is that this needs to be dealt with. If the camp is really set up to benefit lower income families.. then only lower income families should be getting it. They obviously are not low-income. (Three large houses, two good jobs, joking about how they are mistaken as poor, etc.) If there is a camp set up for greedy families who feel like buying a new TV instead of sending their kids to camp, they can apply for that.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think a lot has to do with what they file in taxes. I went to a private Catholic high school and finacial aid depended on tax records going back 3 years. My parents did without, and we were not rich by any means. But, they couldn't get finacial aid, but doctors could. My parents didn't have enough to get the tax shelters or whatever you need to show that you are in finacial, but the doctors could afford to pay tax preparers to find loop holes. Now, Catholic schools don't get money from the state around here, but it's probably the same system. Do I think you need to speak up? Yes. Can you really do anything? Unfortunately not.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
there may be reasons beyond what you think is why she was picked?
but if she was kicked out of summer camp how would you feel?

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by noludoru

If there is a camp set up for greedy families who feel like buying a new TV instead of sending their kids to camp, they can apply for that.
Oh, so beautifully stated!

And Calico, yes, you're absolutely right about the tax issue.