I'm Soooooo Mad Right Now!!! Argh!!!!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's okay to leave her in the bathroom, esp. since the fleas are freaking you out and you wouldn't want her to take it personally!! It's probably traumatic enough for this poor cat to be in a strange place, then making the rounds about town. And it sounds like her owner may be a bit clueless, to say the least, so the poor cat probably doesn't have the best faith in humans to start with. And even though this is a hassle for you, I am so glad that you are able to help this poor kitty out - can you imagine the torment of those flea bites.....Even if you don't get reimbursed by the owner, you will have done your good deed and you should give yourself a pat on the back for that!!! You are doing the right thing, and sooner or later this good you do will come back to repay you many times over!!
I could go on & on about how I've stuck my neck out on a limb, thinking I was being such a fool, & then, later, even months or years later, whomever I've helped, or someone that knew me because of them, will get to repay me....Trust me - you did the right thing!
-this one's for you!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

journey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsknowme

Yes, it's okay to leave her in the bathroom, esp. since the fleas are freaking you out and you wouldn't want her to take it personally!! It's probably traumatic enough for this poor cat to be in a strange place, then making the rounds about town. And it sounds like her owner may be a bit clueless, to say the least, so the poor cat probably doesn't have the best faith in humans to start with. And even though this is a hassle for you, I am so glad that you are able to help this poor kitty out - can you imagine the torment of those flea bites.....Even if you don't get reimbursed by the owner, you will have done your good deed and you should give yourself a pat on the back for that!!! You are doing the right thing, and sooner or later this good you do will come back to repay you many times over!!
I could go on & on about how I've stuck my neck out on a limb, thinking I was being such a fool, & then, later, even months or years later, whomever I've helped, or someone that knew me because of them, will get to repay me....Trust me - you did the right thing!
-this one's for you!!!
Thank you

That made me feel a lot better.....I'm going to go check on her now to make sure she's not having a reaction to the Advantage.....

journey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
wow - did i really overreact?
these people in a different forum that I wrote in desperation last night basically all wrote "jeez, chill out they're just fleas", "its not the end of the world there drama" etc.

I realize I did make a big deal about it, but fleas are a big deal! aren't they?

talon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To me they are - I hate bugs - fleas are bugs. When I was young, my parents never treated our cats for fleas - I would always have flea bites and fleas on my socks. I get my house treated (pet safe) for bugs every 3 months. I also treat the cats for fleas every month - all year long.

Just say no to fleas.

sunnicat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fleas are a big deal. It's expensive to treat the cat, the house, etc., not to mention VERY time consuming. Then there's the fear that you missed some and you'll be infested forever. I understand! You did the right thing!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it's all relative - if the fleas AREN'T in THEIR house, or on THEIR cat, yeah, it's no big deal.....Just like if some car is broken down in Arizona, in triple-digit heat, it's no big deal, just call AAA to send a tow truck, right?! But to the ones who are suffering, you bet it is a big deal!! Besides, some pets & people can have allergic reactions to fleas - my daughter's Queensland Heeler got this terrible reaction to fleas, just huge welts; he needed to be treated by the vet & to top it off, the poor dog then had an allergic reaction to the flea bath that the vet gave him. So, my daughter had me drive down & pick up her dog & he is now at my grandson's paternal grandmother's house up here - for some reason, our area doesn't have dog fleas, it's too dry & the altitude is too high, or something like that. I think that you were smart to jump on the problem right away - fleas can infest a place pretty rapidly, from what I understand. And I'm sure that you didn't want to spend your entire weekend de-fleaing the place.

chester&piper

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No you didn't overreact. I would have done the same thing! And fleas are a big deal. Not only does the poor cat who gets bit have to deal with the itch, but they could be allergic to the bites. We had a cat when I was younger that was allergic, there were many times she'd lose the fur on her tail and other areas because she was scratching and biting at the bites; her skin would be raw from it all. Plus tapeworm is transmitted by fleas which is no fun for the cat to get (and no fun for their owners to see
). And like others said, it's expensive to de-flea the cat and house.

journey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
See, I knew you guys would understand!!! That's why I keep coming back here. It's such a nice positive helpful board.
I combed her in the bathtub and actually didn't find any live fleas, just some black flaky thingies, but not a lot.
So I let her out of the bathroom and boy she was glad. But now she's lying despondantly sleeping in a strange corner of my house, and I keep apologizing to her and even cried because I feel so bad for her.
The fireworks are tonight and they are soooo noisy so she's going to be freaked out. All in all, not a good day for kitty or for me! Let's hope tomorrow turns out better.......

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You did not overreact. I would have freaked.

Fleas carry tape worm. The cats can get the tape worm if they eat a flea. Tape worm requires a vet apt.
Many cats also have allergies to flea bites.
Fleas are only the tip of a very big iceburg...financial & emotional.
You did right by acting as soon as you noticed them.

Lei

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WEll I would have been FURIOUS, BUT I would have gone to a super market and bought a flea collar. I know they CAN be dangerous for cats BUt I would still have run it all up and down the cat, AND I would have bought a flea comb or a lice comb and combed the cat - IN THE BATHROOM. Then taken the cat and put it elsewhere and left the comb and hair in the bathroom with the flea collar. Collar cann't hurt HAIR and then 9/10 of the fleas would have been gone.

If you think fleas are bad - try having ANTS all over! Personally I would take the fleas any day! Course if I had my druthers I would not want either! <sigh>