I'm Soooo Frustrated Right Now I Don't Know What To Do!!!

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

I suppose Cassidy could have food allergies.
It's something to consider. How did you find out that your cat had food allergies?
And what's the World's Best Cat Litter? I've never heard of it..
Well we adopted Gus at 8 weeks and he had slightly loose stool then. It was always slightly loose and he seemed to go a lot throughout the day. I pay a lot of attention to my cats habits [after having one die very young and unexpectedly, I suppose I'm paranoid]. At that time he was eating a dry food that had chicken, bison and venison proteins. I started feeding him wet food once a day that was chicken based, and that was about the time that the diarrhea started. He was pretty ill whenever extra chicken was added to his diet. We changed him to a lamb based food for 8 weeks and he was still having problems. By this time he was 5-6 months old so we were really fed up with the pooping and took him into the vet. But before I went to the vet I made a long list of every detail of the situation that I could think of...different foods we tried, times when the diarrhea got worse, types of litter we tried, box locations, box cleanliness, times he peed on the floor, etc etc. Literally everything I could think of, I wrote down. When we took him into the vet she ran all the tests to check for any other medical problems, we discussed my list, and to her it sounded like food allergies. He was put on a prescription to cleanse his GI tract, and changed his diet to a hypoallergenic diet and it worked.

In short, I think determining a food allergy is really just ruling out any other medical issues with a vet, and doing food trials. It's just important to sort things out before the litter box issue becomes a habit because the longer it goes on the more difficult it will be to correct.

World's Best Cat Litter is a ground corn litter. It was highly recommended.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Skimble

You may have already looked at this site. Dr Jean was on the expert forum recently. http://www.littlebigcat.com/?action=library Scroll down to titles regarding "litterbox".

There is also an article on "food allergies".

http://www.worldsbestcatlitter.com/ I used this litter with my kittens because they were eating the other litter

Recently gradually switched to http://www.preciouscat.com/ . I am trying the kitten litter from Precious Cat now because it is fine like sand and several of my adult cats seem to like it better.

I hope things get better.
Thanks for posting those links.
I'll check them out!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by whiteforest

Well we adopted Gus at 8 weeks and he had slightly loose stool then. It was always slightly loose and he seemed to go a lot throughout the day. I pay a lot of attention to my cats habits [after having one die very young and unexpectedly, I suppose I'm paranoid]. At that time he was eating a dry food that had chicken, bison and venison proteins. I started feeding him wet food once a day that was chicken based, and that was about the time that the diarrhea started. He was pretty ill whenever extra chicken was added to his diet. We changed him to a lamb based food for 8 weeks and he was still having problems. By this time he was 5-6 months old so we were really fed up with the pooping and took him into the vet. But before I went to the vet I made a long list of every detail of the situation that I could think of...different foods we tried, times when the diarrhea got worse, types of litter we tried, box locations, box cleanliness, times he peed on the floor, etc etc. Literally everything I could think of, I wrote down. When we took him into the vet she ran all the tests to check for any other medical problems, we discussed my list, and to her it sounded like food allergies. He was put on a prescription to cleanse his GI tract, and changed his diet to a hypoallergenic diet and it worked.

In short, I think determining a food allergy is really just ruling out any other medical issues with a vet, and doing food trials. It's just important to sort things out before the litter box issue becomes a habit because the longer it goes on the more difficult it will be to correct.

World's Best Cat Litter is a ground corn litter. It was highly recommended.
I think chicken might be causing her diarrhea. She loves the stuff, and whenever I'm eating some, I usually give her "treats" of chicken. I noticed that the past few days her pooh has become more solid, and she hasn't had any chicken. So maybe that's what's causing her to have runny pooh..
The only way to know for sure is to see what happens the next time I feed it to her.

Can you buy the World's Best Litter at Wal-Mart? Or do you have to get it from a pet store?

I pay a lot of attention to my cats habits [after having one die very young and unexpectedly, I suppose I'm paranoid].
I know the feeling.
I have two cats that have the FIP virus, and any time one of them even so much as sneezes I get all paranoid.
They're on Interferon to keep them in remission, but it's no guarantee. They could become immune to it at any time..

Thanks for all your help!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was so excited yesterday b/c Cassidy did her business on the puppy pad, but some time during the night she poohed on the carpeting again: I got woken up by my s/o's cursing.
I guess he stepped in it.
But that's partly his fault, too - IMO. I keep telling him he needs to wear shoes or slippers in the house till we get her trained.
And the little stinker (no pun intended
) poohed on the hallway floor again this afternoon, so I had to lock her in her "room" again: I feel like a criminal or something leaving her in there all the time.

When I let her out, I gave her a bath, b/c she was getting pretty stinky.
I figured I was in for a big battle, but she actually was pretty good about it.
I think she may have been actually grateful to me for getting the pooh off her.
After I gave her a bath, I wrapped her in a towel and cuddled her, and told her that even though she's getting on my nerves, I still love her.
You just can't help but love her: she's such a sweetheart!

I really am beginning to think that the reason she's going on the floor is b/c of her deformed tail. The pooh gets stuck to it when she goes, and I think that she's "blaming" her tail - if that makes any sense.
I know what I mean, but I don't know how to say it. I'm having one of my "senior moments" today..

Anyway, I told my s/o to see if Wal-Mart carries the World's Best Cat Litter (he works there), and to pick some up if they have it. It's worth a shot, anyway..

I'm gonna have Cassidy's tail amputated, as soon as we have any extra money. I really believe that once it's gone, she'll quit poohing on the floor. My poor little cripple: I feel so badly for her..

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

I'm gonna have Cassidy's tail amputated, as soon as we have any extra money. I really believe that once it's gone, she'll quit poohing on the floor. My poor little cripple: I feel so badly for her..
Have you seen a vet about her pooing and her tail?

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by whiteforest

Have you seen a vet about her pooing and her tail?
The vet said he could do the amputation, as long as she's healthy - which she is, and if there aren't any complications. We're just waiting till we get the money, which hopefully, will be soon.
My s/o's supposed to get a bonus in his next paycheck, which will help us out a lot!

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I meant to seek their professional opinion on what the problem is, because it may have nothing to do with her tail at all.