labyrinth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's good. I can think of two possibilities here. This medication is not working for Max, or something is going on and that's why the medication is ineffective.

I'd like to suggest, ask your vet for a couple of pumps of the transdermal form (it's gentler on the system), use that once or twice a day, and seriously think about doing anything and everything to get Max to eat, even if it means feeding regular food.

Do read and think about Dr. Hofve's article
http://www.littlebigcat.com/health/k...in-older-cats/

Also read here for ideas
http://www.felinecrf.org/persuading_cat_to_eat.htm

kittymom4

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can try to entice him to eat with some baby food. Just PLAIN old baby food - not fancy stuff like entrees with veggies and stuff. Mine always like the plain beef or chicken. We used in the vet hospitals for the non eaters all the time to stimulate appetite.

Oral issues (you can't do a real oral exam on a non-sedated cat) diabetes, or cancer would be my top three guesses.

Be sure he's not dehydrated. sub-cue fluids may be needed
I agree on a complete blood chemistry at this point to start with. You can't let him keep deteriorating.

Of course, at some point we all have to face that they are aging. But we at least want to know what's going on with them so we can do what we can.

Best of luck to you and Max.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

labyrinth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittyMom4

You can try to entice him to eat with some baby food. Just PLAIN old baby food - not fancy stuff like entrees with veggies and stuff. Mine always like the plain beef or chicken. We used in the vet hospitals for the non eaters all the time to stimulate appetite.

Oral issues (you can't do a real oral exam on a non-sedated cat) diabetes, or cancer would be my top three guesses.

Be sure he's not dehydrated. sub-cue fluids may be needed
I agree on a complete blood chemistry at this point to start with. You can't let him keep deteriorating.

Of course, at some point we all have to face that they are aging. But we at least want to know what's going on with them so we can do what we can.

Best of luck to you and Max.
I hadn't thought of baby food, I'll give that a try. He hasn't been back to the vet this week, because he is eating the watered down canned food I've been giving him. For the time being his weight loss has stopped, and he has even gained a little. If he stops gaining I will be taking him back in right away.

I'm not "letting" my cat deteriorate. Unfortunately he's doing it all on his own. If I wasn't trying he would not have been to the vet at all let alone 3-4 times with numerous phone conversations between the vet and myself.

I do appreciate your input and you may not have meant it that way, but that is how it came off to me.