I'm so Angry and Heartbroken

heraymo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Earlier this year a stray adopted us. we fed it we play with it. I even bought a ceder house to try and keep it warm dureing the winter. but the other day i stepped on it's paw the scream was so horrible and i can't get it outta my head. but ever since she run's from me outside she will play with everyone else the minute i get near here she looks at me and run's and it's breaking my heart this whole thing is making me so angry i didn't sleep well last night cause all i could think about how scared she was of me and how she runs from me hell today she was behind some bushes and i wasnt even close she ran when on the side of the house then peeked her head around to make sure i wasn't going to get her.I'm so devastated

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw.  I'm sorry for both of you.  I would try to be quiet around her; sit low to the ground and offer treats.  Even if you leave the treat where she can see it and then back up.  Just sit quietly; even not looking at her, so you don't appear threatening in any way.  Sitting lower to the ground (on it if you can) will make you appear less threatening.  Something along this line should help her come to associate positive things with you again.  

Good luck!! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

heraymo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is still running from me today but i bent over stuck my hand out and talked softly she started to roll on her back i wasnt sure if it was defensive or not but i gave her a small peice of fish and backed away.

trevandbur

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Keep giving her delicious treats and I bet she will warm up to you again. It happens, I've stepped on my cats' toes and tails, and even accidentally shut my boyfriend's cat's tail in a car door (she healed with no sign of ever being hurt, and lives with my daughter now as a house cat). Don't beat yourself up, just keep at trying to make friends again. She'll come back :)

moggymomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know it probably doesn't make you feel any better but hun it was an accident. Try not to dwell on what happened. I step on a tail or a paw at least once a week. I swear some days my boys are trying to trip me. But you're doing everything right. Showing her with positive reinforcement that you would never hurt her on purpose. Hugs.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
   These things happen with all of us,  we all have accidents. It is just taking your little girl a bit longer to regain her trust because of the experiences she has had in her life so far.

If I tread on Mouse he runs off then looks back at me all confused and frightened, and waits until I crouch down and hold out a fish treat for him before he feels reassured and comes back - and this is a little cat that has been safe and looked after all his life.

You are doing the right thing, keep up with the gentle approach and bringing treats for her.  She will learn that you did not hurt her intentionally and are still safe to be around.  That she rolled on her back and you gave her a treat and didn't crowd her or harm her will have been a big positive step for her.  She is still there and showing interest in you, I see this is a good sign that she wants to be around you too.   

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think there is not a single long-term pet parent who has never accidentally stepped on a paw before. Those little buggers like to sneak up under you. Hang in there and don't give up! She'll come to love you again!

heraymo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
had a good step today she ran up to me let me pet her a little bit then went on her businness i thinking she is coming around but i need to make slow movements cause fast movements  seem to freak her out. i have noticed she stays away from my feat which actually a good thing.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Really pleased to hear she's starting to build up trust with you again so quickly.  And yes, avoiding feat is a very good lesson for cats to learn! 

Well done. I hope you are starting to feel better and not being hard on your self anymore. 

trevandbur

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah hopefully she will learn to be more careful around feet. I felt awful when I shut my boyfriend's cat's tail in the car door, but she was very careful around cars after that. I was glad she learned to be more careful because before that she had no fear of cars at all, and I was always afraid I was going to run over her. But with as many times as I've stepped on Trevor's paws or tail (I've had him 7 years and he's always close to me), he still hasn't learned to be careful. I try to watch but of course he likes to be right around my feet when I'm carrying things!

I actually stepped ON my dear old Gizmo several years ago. She laid down on the stairs while I was getting laundry ready. I didn't know she was there and just as my foot started to go down, she ran, which caused me to lose my balance and I slid down the entire flight of stairs on my back! To this day I'm pretty sure that was one of her many attempts to kill me!

heraymo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ok i'm thinking she has gotten over her trauma and its a relief i'm going to be more careful around her also cause i rather it not happen again she is a great cat for a stray and i don't want her to leave.Thks for the help on this forum ive learned a lot and hope to learn more about these crazy little fur balls i like so much.