I'm scared!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by caprice
Thanks guys. When my grandmother was alive, her doctor told her not to use Splenda because it still raises your blood sugar...this confuses me too...but I use it in my oatmeal in the morning! Another thing that is really good is Ricotta cheese with splenda...yummy!
That would be because research has shown that *some* people release insulin when tasting anything perceived as sweet - even if it's not a "sugar'. I avoid all artificial sweeterners for several reasons, that being one. When I do have something sweet, it's real maple syrup or sugar, and balanced by protein and low carb veggies at the same meal.

Your gram's doctor was ahead of the curve compared to a lot of doc's.

yoviher

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Caprice, if 102 is borderline then then 90% of the population is borderline

The average and normal levels are between 90 and 120. If you had 102 while fasting early in the morning you are perfectly allright, normal and healthy.
My blood glucose is usually at the 90s fasting... 110 after having a Banana Split.

Below 90 then you start running the risk of a low blood sugar level. By the time it reaches 70 you are feeling very dizzy and if you do not take some candy or something similar it can be fatal. If your blood sugar levels go that low frequently then you can have hypoglicemia which is the problem of low glucose levels.

If your problem is high blood sugar levels then you have Diabetes.

One measure which is very good is the glucose tolerance test. You go in fast and have your glucose tested. Then you take a certain drink which they call "glucola" (which by the way, it tastes like s***) and one or two hours later you have your glucose tested again. If your glucose skyrocketed to the kuiper belt after your drinking that stuff then you may have diabetes. If you were at 60 and then went up to 80 you may have hypoglicemia, and if all the time you were withing normal levels you are fine.

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know much about his, but you have gotten some great advice here from people who do! My prayers are with you...let us know what you find out!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by KittenKrazy
Now that makes me really concerned about your grandmas doctor, there's nothing in Splenda that CAN raise your bood sugar. No sugar, no carbs no nothing!
Actually it wouldn't surprise me if Splenda had that effect on diabetics. Splenda is derrived from natural sugar. Basically, it's genetically altered sugar cane. I used to be a cholesterol consultant for the company that makes it back when it was just getting ready to go on the market. So although I hadn't heard that it affects blood sugar levels, it really doesn't suprise me at all!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well--I go back in tomorrow morning to see what she has to say...they told me to fast so they can take another blood test...the thing is my blood sugar has been in the 70-80's in the morning time...I am just really frusterated. Please keep me in your prayers today and in the morning that she doesn't give me bad news...I don't want to have to get on any medication!! I'll write back after I get back from the doctor tomorrow. My appointment is at 8:40am. Thank you all for helping to cheer me up! I haven't thought a lot about it since...and I think the weekend trip to Dallas really helped!!

ttmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to say that Splenda is what my mother's and grandmother's doctors have recommended they use as diabetics. I have heard about the research that just the sweet taste can up insulin, I wouldn't be surprised if that were true, but then Nutrasweet and all other's would also be recommended against, not just Splenda. Actually, some of the other fake sugars have been recommended against because they increase the body's need for something sweet. I'm not sure how that works, but I know I crave more sweet when I eat fake sugars (except for Splenda, weird eh?) or real sugar.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very good point Ericka! Thanks for sharing and I think you hit it right on the money!!

Well, my doctor wanted me to be aware that I must take care of myself more and really watch my weight and diet. I have lost another 2 1/2 pounds since Jan. 19th. She referred me to the dietican so I go to her next Thursday. Looks like I could be headed towards a healthier lifestyle. She didn't take a blood test, but she wants to periodically test it and make sure it's within normal limits. Also, she wants me to come in every 6 months, so she can make sure things don't get any worse. So, there you have it. No medicine was prescribed. Just a healthier lifestyle. She said my chances for diabetes will be high since my mother, father and grandparents all have it, but I can postpone it with the right lifestyle. So friends...wish me luck on my new and improved way of life

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on the weight loss, and hurrah on not needing meds.

I wish you all the best with your new improved lifestyle