I'm scared...

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am kind of scared of having a tree too but because of my dog. And I don't buy glass ornaments. And I don't buy the fringy icicle thingys either. I do get the things that look like a boa. But Lilly leaves that alone. But I think I might just put up a tree with lights and some ornaments and leave it alone not sure if I will put one up this year or not due to space.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a large, round tree stand, with a broad base that is tip-proof. Most of my ornaments are plastic, fabric or heavy ceramic ones. I put the ceramic ones right up on top and this seems to appease Rowdy. After her first Christmas, I found 27 ornaments, when I moved the couch back to its normal spot.

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is my fourth christmas with kitties, and every year it seems I have a kid that it's all new for them. The first one, we actually got zakk on new years day, and he jumped in the tree immediately. We took it down that day. The new kids usually jump in for a bit.

Here are my hints. First, use a fake tree. Put it up for a couple days without decorations. That way they can get the initial exploring out of the way. Second- no tinsel. I usually put all the more delicate ornaments on the top! Also, get some air freshner smelly things and hang them on the bottom of the tree. Cats don't like citrus smells so that will deter them. Personally I think the tree ones look good. So far no one has knocked it down and nothing has broken. I have had a few of the plastic ones taken off and played with though. Wrapping paper seems to be the thing that they destroy the most, sometimes ruining some surprises!

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256

to put up a Christmas tree this year

Last year it was Tiger's first Christmas but all in all he did well.. This year, I have 4 little terrors that I KNOW are NOT going to leave it alone. If it wasn't for the kids, I wouldn't put one up

I know I'm going to have to anchor it to the wall somehow to keep it from crashing down but I don't know how I'll keep em out of it...

Any suggestions?
GOOD LUCK !!!!!!
I got 5 helium balloons and stuck then in the tree in various places and turned a fan on them last year

lovinmom828

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I dont think i have any ideas Howler alone knocks our tree over every year dont know how you are going to do it lol but heres some good vibes for a standing tree by Christmas Morning )))((((( i know i hope mine is still standing by then

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The first year I had Max, I had a small table tree. All the ornaments were unbreakable and they were tied on with ribbon, not hung up with hangers. I used very small clear lights. He did real well with it and we never had an accident. Getting it off the floor kept him from climbing it, I think.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alycia, NOT all cats are detured from the citrus smell.I bought some fresh lemons,lemon juice and put them under my recliner so the kits wouldn't get under there and get squished.They LOVE the smell!!~
I have a 7 foot prelight tree also for this year. I have ALOT of very precious ornaments that go on the tree every year. I'm going to put them on the tree again this year and ancor the tree to the wall with fishing line in 3 places.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

Alycia, NOT all cats are detured from the citrus smell.I bought some fresh lemons,lemon juice and put them under my recliner so the kits wouldn't get under there and get squished.They LOVE the smell!!~
I have a 7 foot prelight tree also for this year. I have ALOT of very precious ornaments that go on the tree every year. I'm going to put them on the tree again this year and ancor the tree to the wall with fishing line in 3 places.
Considering they stick thier heads in my glass of orange juice, I'd have to say that it wouldn't work either