I'm scared! My cat is getting her teeth cleaned Friday!

aimee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What a purdy girl! My older gal (13.5yrs old) had her teeth cleaned last year and, except for a bit of vomiting after waking up, did wonderfully. Glad to hear your kitty did fine.

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Was this the first time she had her teeth cleaned? Sierra is 9 1/2 and her vet says her teeth are just starting to look like they need cleaning, but I'm a little concerned about the anesthesia. What do you think, is the benefit worth the possible adverse effects?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

k praper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
SierrasMommy...

You were probably asking Aimee, but, I definitely think the risks are worth it...years ago I had another cat who needed teeth cleaning in a BAD way...but my vet at the time refused to do it...my cat was 15 years old, and the vet said that was much too old. Other than the teeth, she was very healthy. A few years later my cat died with massive infections and decay in her mouth, which had spread bacteria to the rest of her body. If I knew then what I knew now, I would have looked for a new vet. Every vet I talk to now is horrified to hear this story..they all tell me that the benefits FAR outweigh the risks.

I also think getting the cat's bloodwork done prior to the procedure is a good idea...it gave me some peace of mind, knowing they would make sure she was absolutely healthy before giving her anesthesia.

~K

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

k praper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just wanted to add...

Even though I think the procedure is worth it, it's never easy handing your precious kitty over to have things like this done! It's scary for us cat-moms!

~K

eeva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, I just got my kitties home from the vet too, had both their teeth cleaned. The vet said that neither had a lot of tartar on them, though, so next time I can wait a bit longer. Just knowing how horrible tooth problems can be and how they can make you sick, I just wanted to make sure their teeth were fine. I don't see why it should wait until their teeth are in a terrible condition, safer to get it done when they're healthy, too.

My cats are a bit over 6 and 3 yrs old, this was the second clean for the older (she had them done 3 yrs ago) and a first for the younger. Perhaps next time will be in 4 or 5 yrs. They're sleeping the anesthesia off right now (over here you don't leave them at the vet's, you're there with them, helping with most procedures, and take them home to sleep it off once they can tell it's fine).