I'm really tired of this...

c4t5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 8-10 months old domestic cat. I've been trying to teach her how to stay in the carrier tried all kind of things and tutorials online but nothing worked, cat nips, treats, food, games, ticking tricks, ...etc and after 4 months nothing changed at all. I went to the vet to get any kind of sedatives because I'll be traveling soon in the airplane and I don't want the cat to annoy the hell out of everyone specially that the flight is an international flight. Anyway, I went to two vets asking for mild sedatives and they don't sell any for some reason. Then I visited couple petshops to get anything to relax her I got the spray, a new carrier, and some treat that (relaxes her) nothing worked at all! She goes crazy and never stops meowing no matter what I do or how I do it. If I don't find a way to solve this I'm afraid I'll either leave her with a friend or put her in a shelter. :( too bad!

anyone got advices or anything... also some notes, I vet told me to try little of benadrylin or whatever it's called the antihistamine they told me it works as a mild sedative, but that didn't work and I won't increase the dose it might hurt her can't take my chances here... Also, catnips makes her go extremely hyper and crazy running all the time and hitting the walls or anything ..etc

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

c4t5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wanted to add that the cat is perfectly healthy and fine. It's just the carrier that makes here go extremely crazy (so crazy that it's hard to hold the box, that crazy)... 

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lots of cats hate being in carriers and will cry and try and fight their way out, ill flag this with an adviser to see if they can offer any assistance for you.

toomanycats4me

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
if you go to the pet store or vet, they have a thing called a "calming collar.  Has some type of odor that reminds them of mama, and within 15 minutes they are calm.  I have to use 1 when i take 1 of my cats to the vet, he becomes so hyper its almost impossible to examine him.     

Usually he is able to be examined in 15 min.  lasts for 24 hrs, or you can buy them as a 30 day collar.  they work.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I dont think vets do and I dont think they will sedate any animal going on a flight, Im sure I remember seeing something like that on here somewhere I could be wrong though

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Flying animals should never be sedated, that's why the vets won't give you anything. 

Chances are once on the flight she's be quiet, otherwise why not put her in cargo? Animals aren't allowed on planes over here so are always shipped cargo and cope just fine. Many cats are imported here too and fly cargo.

c4t5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
if you go to the pet store or vet, they have a thing called a "calming collar.  Has some type of odor that reminds them of mama, and within 15 minutes they are calm.  I have to use 1 when i take 1 of my cats to the vet, he becomes so hyper its almost impossible to examine him.     

Usually he is able to be examined in 15 min.  lasts for 24 hrs, or you can buy them as a 30 day collar.  they work.
I forgot to mention this part. I actually have tried the collar it has a really strong scent. As soon as I put it (she uses collars so she doesn't mind) but the smell made her go CRAZY and she tried to rip it off her nick and while trying it got stuck on her head and mouth and made her suffer and loudly cry so I had to take it off. Tried again after a while and she done the same. It's useless...

My cat is really weird.
I dont think vets do and I dont think they will sedate any animal going on a flight, Im sure I remember seeing something like that on here somewhere I could be wrong though
You're right they shouldn't sedate animals but I think it's fine if they're not in the cargo because of the pressure. I'm not sure if this is true but that's what I've read online in many websites.
Flying animals should never be sedated, that's why the vets won't give you anything. 

Chances are once on the flight she's be quiet, otherwise why not put her in cargo? Animals aren't allowed on planes over here so are always shipped cargo and cope just fine. Many cats are imported here too and fly cargo.
They won't take her on the cargo it's probably illegal or something and I must take her with me in the cargo where the pressure is normalized.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They won't take her on the cargo it's probably illegal or something and I must take her with me in the cargo where the pressure is normalized.
Where are you flying from and to? Cats are shipped daily around the world in cargo, it's not illegal and it is pressurised. 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I brought my cats from Japan in cargo. On one smaller plane, we could hear one yowling from our seats, before they turned the engines on :lol3:. Cats fly in cargo every day, talk to the airline people. It's certainly a lot better than dumping her at a shelter to die :dk:.

c4t5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Where are you flying from and to? Cats are shipped daily around the world in cargo, it's not illegal and it is pressurised. 
I'm going via US Airways from NY to Cali. I've talked with them and they referred me to their website with info about pet traveling and it says that they won't put animals in cargo (They used to though)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NY to California isn't international. . .:tongue2:

Most cats will give up on yowling after a while. Have you ever put her in the carrier and drove around for a long time? If not, your seatmates can just put up with it--no worse than a crying baby. You can't hear much when the engines are going and you're listening to your iPod anyway.

If you really don't want to take her in the cabin, check with other airlines about shipping her. They ship unaccompanied pets frequently, and obviously they don't have anyone to travel in the cabin with. So they must have somewhere they put them.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NY to California isn't international. . .

I was a little confused over that 
 Wondering if NY or Cali stood for something else outside of the US.
If you really don't want to take her in the cabin, check with other airlines about shipping her. They ship unaccompanied pets frequently, and obviously they don't have anyone to travel in the cabin with. So they must have somewhere they put them.
Agree, breeders & pet owners ship cats and kittens unaccompanied every day. I'd just send her with another airline.

Last edited:

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Or is it too late to get a refund on your ticket and fly with another airline? I know they hate refunds, but their policy is different from EVERY other airline. Most dont allow pets in the cabin.

gaias human

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had the same problem with my cat freaking out about her carrier. I took her with me anyways from Portland Oregon to New Orleans Louisiana with no kind of medication and my psycho kitty never made a peep while we were on the plane. she fought to get out the whole time we were in any airport though....

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Have to say, California to NYC is longer than many international flights elsewhere in the world...

There are companies that specialize in shipping animals like this one -

http://www.wemovepets.com/

They can take this off your hands and handle it for you.

We also have an article about this, written by an expert in the field. I can't find the website of her company anymore, but we still have the article available here -

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/traveling-with-cats

fireoasis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had to ship my cats about 15 years ago, I am sure rules have changed but I was told I -had- to sedate them.  It was a pretty short trip too, so that is kind of strange.  You can also try to cover the carrier with a towel as it tends to sooth the animal as well. Especially if the cloth smells like yourself.   And yes animals are shipped over seas, and from one side of the country to another and often times without the benefit of the owner being present.  Find yourself a 'shipper' who does that sort of thing rather then depending on the airline itself.  I wish you the best, hopefully you can find something rather  then leaving your loving pet behind.