I'm really scared...

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just really need to get this off my chest a little I guess. I'm not really looking for advice, as its a complicated situation, and I'm sure I could never provide enough info for you all to understand completely, but feel free too advise if you can.

Allright guys, I'll try to keep this as short as possible.

First some background:

My mother and father divorced when I was almost eleven years old (about ten years ago) for many reasons. My dad cheated on her a lot, was VERY abusive to her, both mentally, physically and in other ways. He killed several of our pets, in front of me and my two much younger brothers, and "spanked" us, but especially me, for anything and everything. I was always terrified of him. He broke several of my moms bones and busted her left eardrum, but in this hokey-doke town, the cops are cash-influenced and my dad has always had plenty.
After they divorced, he married one of the women he was cheating on my mom with and I have had very little to do with him since. I would visit him some, but the visits always ended badly, or we'd have a good run for awhile and then he would hurt me tremendously and I would shy away for a long time. I have always struggled with the heartbreaks he seems to constantly cause. He and his wife are the type of people that are not happy unless they are making everyone else's life miserable. My dad thinks he is untouchable. He is a HUGE man, and I'm terrified of him.
Four years ago, he left a huge bruise on my then eight year old little brother (they still have to visit regularly b/c of custody laws) and my mom turned him in to social services. Two days later our house was set on fire, with all of us in it at 2 o'clock in the morning. We all got out allright. The police confirmed arson (they had set fire to four different parts of the house) but never prosecuted anyone. There was a lot of evidence that they overlooked. (convenience??) A week after that my dad filled for full custody. After trial he was denied.
Since then I have only had contact with him on birthdays and holidays when he calls me for a five minute chat. I have just now finally started to heal and come to terms with the fact that I do not need his acceptance or approval and starting to live my life without worrying about him.

Tonight, he called me out of the blue. He said he wants me to come to his house either friday or saturday night (while my brothers are there for scheduled visitation mind you) b/c he has something that he needs to talk to me about that cannot be discussed over the phone. I am utterly and completely terrified. When my dad pulls something like this, it can never be good. And when something with him is good, it always comes with a price, a BIG price.
If I go, my husband will be with me and I will be tape recording anything that goes on there. He won't meet me anywhere else, and he won't come to my house. I have no clue what is going on and neither does my brothers, allthough I don't know if this concerns them or not. I've got a bad gut feeling that I shouldn't go over there. Hubby suggested not going at all, but I'm scared that the repricussions (sp?) of not going and finding out what its about may be worse than just going. I don't know what to do and I've been sick about it all day. Its four AM here and I can't go to sleep.
I don't know what to do. I don't know what to think. I'm scared, I'm nervous, I'm angry. I feel like a little kid again, only this time I can't hide under the bed and hope he goes away. I've been told by friends that I have to face my demons, but I'd rathar just stay as far away from them as possible.
If anyone has actually made it this far, thanks so much for listening. It helps a little to put it all out there. I've got a big decision to make, and a lot of thinking to do and putting my thoughts down may help. Its so nice to have a group like this just to talk to when the people around you aren't enough. Thanks again if you've read this far. Prayers and vibes would be very much appriciated, I have a really bad feeling that I'm going to need them...

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm afraid I don't have any advice for you, but I can send some

That's such a scary situation. I'm particularly concerned for your little brothers. I would say to go with gut instincts and have no contact with him, but there's the fact you want to look out for your brothers to consider. Good idea not to go alone.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh no! I hope its not anything as bad as you think, I'm very sorry you've had to go through this your whole life
I do think you should go and bringing your husband is a good idea. Lots of {{{{{vibes}}}}} and
coming your way

lizk729

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow.......((hugs)) Thats such a sad and scary situation. I think as long as your husbands with you Id go. Especially since he still has visitation with your brothers. What a sick person and Im so sad that hes your father. I have a mother thats similar and I have absolutely NO contact with her but neither does any of my siblings. WE are all older though. My baby brother is 31 and my oldest brother is 37. Best wishes to you and come back and fill us in after its over. Im praying for your and your brothers.((hugs))

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good for you for bringing your husband along...I was going to suggest (even though you said you didn't want advice) to make sure someone knew you were going.

Careful with tape recording though. In some cases if something did happen, most states don't consider bringing in tapes as evidence without the other person being taped aware of that they are being taped.

Good luck and many good vibes going your way.

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
if your instincts say not too i would follow them but if u do go just some tips to keep u safe. make sure there is a way out and make sure that he is never between u and the way out. also make sure u take a cell phone and tell people where u are even with husband there with tell them what time u will be there and maybe have a couple call a few times when your there have a code word to use if u need a excuse to leave they can help make up a reason for the call dont need one really though. if the police in town are not much help i might call the sheriffs office and tell them what has been going on and that if there is a phone call from you during that time that u need someone there asap. this is gonna sound kind of harsh but i know your brother(s) are still there but my the fail of court system they have to be u need to protect yourself u are safe and need to stay that way. not saying to turn your back on them they also need to know u are always there not sure what kind of relationship they have with him but if he is hurting them a call to dhs i necesary. if he starts to get threatning while u are there get up and leave make sure he knows he cannot intimidate u anymore.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please be careful and I hope everything goes okay. Lots of hugs to you.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This sounds so scary! I know it will be hard, but there is a lot to be said for facing one's demons. Since he has been abusive in the past, I would get a small can of pepper spray, even if for no other reason, it can give you the power to stop him if he gets physical with anyone. You never can tell, maybe he has come to his senses and wants to make amends. Stranger things have happened. I wish you the best, and sincerely hope that you can get through this strong and safe, physically and emotionally. Please let us know how it goes, if you decide to go.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I agree with not going alone. Who will watch your brothers while you are gone -perhaps they could be away from your house just in case someone goes to your house when you aren't there. I hate to sound melodramatic but they should be safe too. You have a mobile phone-I would keep that really handy just in case you have to make an emergency call.
Good luck with your visit-its too bad you have to be scared of your own father.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My first reaction is for you not to go. Even if you are with your husband. Your father sounds very scary and I wouldn't be having any contact with him. I wouldn't want to see anymore harm come to you

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miss Mew

My first reaction is for you not to go. Even if you are with your husband. Your father sounds very scary and I wouldn't be having any contact with him. I wouldn't want to see anymore harm come to you
I agree. He sounds really scary. But if you do go, please be careful.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by april31

if your instincts say not too i would follow them but if u do go just some tips to keep u safe. make sure there is a way out and make sure that he is never between u and the way out. also make sure u take a cell phone and tell people where u are even with husband there with tell them what time u will be there and maybe have a couple call a few times when your there have a code word to use if u need a excuse to leave they can help make up a reason for the call dont need one really though. if the police in town are not much help i might call the sheriffs office and tell them what has been going on and that if there is a phone call from you during that time that u need someone there asap. this is gonna sound kind of harsh but i know your brother(s) are still there but my the fail of court system they have to be u need to protect yourself u are safe and need to stay that way. not saying to turn your back on them they also need to know u are always there not sure what kind of relationship they have with him but if he is hurting them a call to dhs i necesary. if he starts to get threatning while u are there get up and leave make sure he knows he cannot intimidate u anymore.
Sadly, I agree with April. In general, I think a "child", once adult, should do everything they can to repair broken relationships with imperfect parents. However, I also believe that when everything inside you is saying "Don't do it!", you should follow that.

Ultimately it is your decision. If you go, take precautions. Both physically and emotionally. As you said, a relationship with him comes with a big cost. I'm very sorry for you and your Mom that your Dad was not a good man.

And remember, dogs use size and aggression to determine who is boss. Cats use a steady gaze and calm demeanor. If you visit, be a cat. Be calm and steady, and know that in a pinch you can leave the situation.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beckiboo

Sadly, I agree with April. In general, I think a "child", once adult, should do everything they can to repair broken relationships with imperfect parents. However, I also believe that when everything inside you is saying "Don't do it!", you should follow that.

Ultimately it is your decision. If you go, take precautions. Both physically and emotionally. As you said, a relationship with him comes with a big cost. I'm very sorry for you and your Mom that your Dad was not a good man.

And remember, dogs use size and aggression to determine who is boss. Cats use a steady gaze and calm demeanor. If you visit, be a cat. Be calm and steady, and know that in a pinch you can leave the situation.
Exactly my thoughts.

Good luck with it, and let us know how it goes. Hugs to you.

jeanor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow. I don't have any other advice than what's been offered.

I agree with April and Beckiboo about precautions to take.

and please remember to update us so we will know everything is ok (if you decide to go)

kittylova

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Dont go.... because these does not sound right........can you talk to him on the phone or computer???? I would not go.......

meldonn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with April and Krazy Kat, I would call the Sherriff and let them know the situations before you go and I would also have the sherriff phone number in your cell phone just in case you need to call them. I would also carry pepper spray (or have your husband carry it) just to be on the safe side.

I have a brother who is like your dad and he has always scaried me even though he was my little brother. He has always been very abusive to me and my mom both physically and mentally. Now that I have kids, I have decided not to be near him anymore for the safety of my children. I do feel bad for my mother because she has legal custidy of one of his sons and he has basically scarred his son both physically and mentally and talked my mom into helping him several times financially (which she can not afford on SSI) and ruined her credit because of it. He also abandoned his son for the past 6 years. When he does call my mom it is only to torment her and to ask for money. My mom is also scarred of him and to what he could do to his son.

Anyways, I would say if you decide to go then just be very careful and very aware of your surroundings. Keep yourself and your husband safe and I will say a prayer for you.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also agree with the others, if you go- go with your hubby, tell your mom you are going, what time etc. Tell her you will call when you get in the car to leave his house. Keep your cell in your hand the whole time, and on. Ask a friend to call at a certain time, with a code word or phrase--that was a great idea listed below. Always keep a way out. Bring mace with you in your pocket! It doesn't hurt to have it. And hopefully he does just want to make amends with you, and wants your brothers there cause it's a family situation. I wish you the best of luck, and will pray that you are kept safe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much for your great advice. I still haven't decided for sure if I am going, but I'm guessing I probably will. I might as well get it over with, or its going to haunt me for a lot longer anyway. The advice you guys have given is great! I try really hard to be strong and at least not let him know that he intimidates me. Its a fine line though, because acting like that can sometimes set him off. I hadn't even thought of pepper spray or mace, thats a really good idea! I will have my cell phone, and hubby will have his. If I walk in and things feel really bad, I plan on walking back out.
My brothers know how to keep him from going off, and since the incident I mentioned before, there have been no signs of abuse. Soon they will be old enough to legally decide if they want to go for visitations or not. That will be a whole other battle. I would love to think that dad wants to make ammends, but I find that highly unlikely. The sad thing is, the most uncomplicated situation that I could possibly think of is him having found out he was terminally ill. Horrible I know, but it would probably be the easiest situation to deal with. Not that I want my father to die, that would be terrible, it would probably just be the only situation that wouldn't have some hidden agenda behind it. I don't know if that makes any sense to you guys or not, you would just have to know this man to understand fully I guess. I love the idea of being cat-like, I think thats a great mentality. You've all been a great help to me...I couldn't begin to tell you all how much.