I'm quitting!!!

awliston

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wish you well. Hopefully your family will understand how important a step this is for you and be supportive. I lost both my parents to smoking related illnesses (my Dad to lung cancer and my Mother was on a ventilator for COPD for seven years before she passed away). If you need any encouragement, please email me and I will do what I can! I believe in you --you CAN do this!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I smoked for 35 years. I was never able to quit smoking. I tried everything. There are many jokes in my family about my bizarre attempts to quit over the years.

One day...in 1988, I woke up one morning & had a moment of clarity. I realized that I could never quit smoking, because when I tried not to smoke, I would start stressing & crave a cigarette until I had to smoke...another failure.

I finally understood that, instead of fighting, I needed to trust, relax and "let smoking go." I released the need to smoke. I started to believe that I could trust myself. I began to feel a new found joy in that belief.

For a week, I kept saying to myself..." No thanks...I don't smoke." Day & night I would repeat over & over...'No thanks...I don't smoke...until I began to believe it."

I never quit smoking. I didn't even toss the carton that I had. It was 2 years before I got rid of it. I still have not quit smoking. I just don't smoke. I haven't had one since 1988.

I hope that there is something in my little smoking story that you can use.
(((((Hugs))))

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ciera23

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Marianjela - Thank you so much!! I need all the fingers crossed that I can find!

Awliston - I am so sorry to hear that. I have lost family to smoking related illnesses as well. Thank you for being so supportive of me. I appreciate that.

Xocats - Your story makes tons of sense to me and thank you for sharing that!! I like that idea because it doesn't seem so final and out of reach. I think the last couple times I tried to quit, it was so hard because I couldn't stand thinking that I wouldn't be able to smoke again! How sad is that? I smoke about 2-3 packs a day.

Thanks again for all the support, it means so much to me!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My bf wants to stop.
The other day i was looking at the ciggarettes at the supermarket and i told him, that sometimes i just want to pick it up, but i know that once i smell it i get grossed out.
and he was like YES YES START smoking
Then you will see how hard it is to stop and i said no im not stupid
and smiled sweetly at him