im planning a holiday in the usa, but where to go?

yourbriness763

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Chicago is DEFINITELY the place to be in the summer, there are countless things to do and see! When I was a kid I always to move to another state but now that I'm 30, there's no place I would rather be than Chicago...the city is beautiful!

enuja

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love California, especially the central and northern California coast! You could fly in and out of LA, rent a car, and drive up and back down again on the 1. The coast road is wonderful, with cliff and views and, North of San Francisco, redwoods. And San Francisco is one of the most interesting cities in the US.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Enuja

I love California, especially the central and northern California coast! You could fly in and out of LA, rent a car, and drive up and back down again on the 1. The coast road is wonderful, with cliff and views and, North of San Francisco, redwoods. And San Francisco is one of the most interesting cities in the US.
Ahhhhh.....Pacific Coast Highway! The coastline by Big Sur is so beautiful its almost surreal. Then you have the wine country......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jezmondo69

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i soooo need to do this its 6 in the morning here, i havnt been to sleep yet thinking about it!

any volunteers to show me around for a day of two?

i know im going to love it there i wont want to come back to the uk!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jezmondo69

i soooo need to do this its 6 in the morning here, i havnt been to sleep yet thinking about it!

any volunteers to show me around for a day of two?

i know im going to love it there i wont want to come back to the uk!
Definitely check out Inyo-Mono counties:
http://www.monocounty.org/
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/
http://www.death.valley.national-park.com/visit.htm
http://www.cathouse-fcc.org/

We are adjacent to Yosemite. Inyo County has Death Valley (lowest point) and Mt. Whitney (highest peak in the lower 48), the oldest living trees (Bristlecone Pines in White mtns). We have sand dunes, world class climbing, usu. the longest ski season in the nation. Ghost towns, including Bodie & Masonic. Infamous Charles Manson ("Helter-Skelter") moved his compound to Inyo & was captured by the Death Valley NP rangers, CHP & Inyo Sheriff's dept. We are also near Red Rock Canyon and the Exotic Feline Breeding Compound in Rosamond. We have all kinds of hot springs, resorts & "natural" (Tecopa Hot Springs, Whitmore, etc.). We are only 6 hrs from San Diego
In fact, we are primarily a tourist destination, but we still have lots of cattle ranching. I could go on & on....just let me know what you're interested in - just think, you can leave Bishop in a snowstorm in April & in 4 hours, same county, bask in upper 80s,low 90s in Death Valley or Tecopa

We are only 4 hours from Reno (Vegas without the crowds), 2 hours from Tonopah (nation's best stargazing). You can often get itinerant work around here.
And maybe we could go to court with my DH & watch the action (he's a contract public defender)

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rahma

Maybe you could look into house swapping. I know there are a ton of americans who would loooooove to go to NZ. My entire immediate family has been there but me
Of course they decide to take all the cool trips after I had graduated and gotten an adult job.
I definitely want to do this when I'm older and have my own place!

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

I would recommend New Orleans, Seattle, San Francisco, Chicago or San Antonio if you want city stuff.

If you want more relaxed, then I would do the Grand Canyon and maybe some of the parks out west (Yosemite, etc.) or maybe the northeast (Maine, etc.) only don't go there until winter is over!
I loved san francisco when I stayed with my sister for the summer! Seattle was fun too!
Oh yes maine
No I wouldn't wait til winters over I wouldn't go. Not much here craggy, lots a lobstah not much else

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, you know what we say about Texas? It's a great place to live, but you wouldn't want to visit there. Actually, that's true about a lot of the country, since things are so far apart.

Come to Dallas, and we'll show you around.