I'm now a mommy cat to 5 abandoned, probably 1 week old kittens. Help!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are almost 4 weeks old. You can begin introducing wet kitten food mixed into a soupy mush using KMR anytime now. You can also put kitten chow down for them 24/7. They are on the young side, but I'll bet some of them will start to go for the mush and the kibble, but if not, try again in a few days. Eventually you make the mush less soupy until they are eating just wet food, and lapping their KMR from a dish. You can also try Gerber turkey baby food. I weaned my kittens on it and they loved it! Easy to lick and digest!

To answer your question, as soon as they can all self-feed, you can leave wet food and kitten chow out during the night and get yourself a full night of sleep. It's coming soon!

And remember, because they are so small, they will still need many tiny meals throughout the day when they do wean! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

forbiddenpluto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just looked at the KMR, and I'm worried about it lasting the two feeds before stores open. I'm going to try Walmart to see if they have any, but if they don't, would the baby food work to tide them over a couple of hours?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, the baby food will work. My Walmart sells the cans of powdered PetAg KMR (skip the pre-mixed - it causes stomach upset). I used to mix the KMR, turkey baby food, and Gerber plain rice cereal together into a mush. My kittens loved it, and it holds them longer than just milk. You can put it in a bottle or syringe. Mine learned to lap it up very quickly from a plate!

Last edited:

forbiddenpluto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I checked Walmart. They're out. Everywhere seems to be out. Ugh. Frustrating. Kitten season is here with a vengeance.

I don't know if I'll have enough KMR to use in the rice cereal/baby food mix. I wonder if Walmart has goats milk.

forbiddenpluto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They do have goats milk. I got the powdered type. What's the ratio I need to mix it at?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They do have goats milk. I got the powdered type. What's the ratio I need to mix it at?
Its probably on the can.  If not, I would guess on 1:2 water.  Powdered goat milk is OK, some forumists are really happy with powdered goats milk and are always using it with excellent results.  Just make sure you can blend it out into smooths consistence fully dissolved.   I got some Polish powdered goat milk, but I cant manage to make it really smooths/dissolved.  So for me its only good in coffee...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The pet store will have KMR. But how did you manage? Did they like the baby food?

forbiddenpluto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got a complete feed in with the formula before bed.

It took me forever to reduce the goats milk to something non huge, but I finally did. They got a goats milk feed this morning. I also put down the kitten Fancy Feast that I had at the house with the remaining formula... Let's just say that was a poor decision. They walked in it and didn't really attempt to eat at all.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They might get the idea if you make more of a glop with the fancy feast and goat milk. They won't get the idea of biting, but might lap.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Okay. I guess you decided not to use Gerber baby food. Will you be getting KMR at the pet store today?

forbiddenpluto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They might get the idea if you make more of a glop with the fancy feast and goat milk. They won't get the idea of biting, but might lap.
It started out like that, then they decided to bathe in it, so the liquid started to dry up.

Only upside is that they got really interested in cleaning themselves up afterwards. [emoji]128514[/emoji]

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Excellent! This way their tummies will not have to adjust to something different.

forbiddenpluto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The kittens are almost 6 weeks old now and are all still kicking. Two have tried to die on me, but thanks to the emergency vet and fluids, they pulled through.

I do have a question again though. They have started the weaning process. I give gruel (1/2 can kitten pate and goats milk) 15 minutes before every feed. Most times they eat almost all of it. However, they still are consuming upwards of 1.5 ounces from a bottle afterwards. Dry food and water is out 24/7. Some of them are trying the dry food, but the water goes untouched. How do I get them to drink from it?

And of course, pictures!

Last edited by a moderator:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're adorable. I think they are probably getting enough water from their formula and kitten food. Most cats are not big water drinkers.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are adorable!

They won't drink water for awhile since they are getting all the fluids they need from the KMR right now. At six weeks they will still love their bottles. They are still weaning, and still need their milk. Kittens with a mom will often nurse for 12 weeks along with eating solids.

You'll see them learn the water bowl when they are a bit older. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

forbiddenpluto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The limp kitten scare was seriously one of the most traumatizing situations I've ever had. The gray one in the pics above crashed from dehydration about two weeks ago. The tabby crashed from who knows what (she did have a low temp when I brought her in). All of them are solidly above a pound now though!

She is seriously the most photogenic cat ever. My daughter pointed out that she looks like one of those webkin toys!

forbiddenpluto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Water wise, will they just stop drinking as much from the bottle as they get used to it?

Also, am I feeding them enough? 1/2 can plus goats milk every 5 hours. I've started going 7-8 hours overnight. They're not complaining. When I give them their morning feed, they're awake, but not making any noise.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She does! [emoji]128149[/emoji]

I can imagine how scary that was! Your quick actions to the vet saved their lives. It's not easy to raise orphan kittens. Thank you!