Im Not Sure If Im Saving A Life Or Interrupting A Romance, Help!

FergusTheFiend

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, so I'll start by saying I know nothing about cats. I ended up somehow with two strays, Greg and Fergus. Greg we've had for about five years, Fergus for about three. Fergus was very scared of humans and has only recently stayed in sight when we go to feed him, he used to run a mile at the sight of us. So we're actually not sure what sex Fergus is. Recently he (Fergus) has taken to yeowlling at Greg for hours on end. He gets right up into his face (sometimes touching it) and just yeowls. Greg just stays very still and ignores it..but I dont know if he's really ignoring or terrified. The noise is unreal and only stops when one of us opens a bedroom window and roars! I just wondered if anyone knows if they're just doing normal cat stuff and I should let them be, or if Fergus is terrorising Greg and needs to be stopped. Any help would be very gratefully received!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm assuming they aren't neutered, or possibly Greg is but Fergus isn't. It sounds like typical tomcat territory disputes. You're lucky they aren't beating each other up (yet).

The best thing would be for both to be neutered. You can borrow a live trap to catch Fergus (he's almost certainly a male because a female would have brought her kittens around by now).

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign: Welcome to TCS! Thank you for taking care of those cats. Fergus is probably in need of being neutered - the sooner, the better, for his physical well-being plus to prevent his marking territory by spraying urine. I would check with your local animal control for names of cat rescue groups to get help with TNVR (trap, neuter,vaccinate,release); the feedstores & veterinarian offices also know whom to call.
until neutered. If Fergus is already fixed, this behavior could be an indication of a medical issue. A vet who works with ferals is the best choice as they have more experience with "pole sedating" cats. Just keep the trap completely covered asap and line the transport car seats with plastic topped with old towels, newspaper or puppy/human bed pads. Please keep us posted!:cheerleader:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FergusTheFiend

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ah ha! Right so, I have my answer. Thanks a mil people. I live in the country but everyone I know has a dog and no one had a clue what to do lol. Once again, thanks a mil (from me at least, not sure Fergus will feel the same way lol)