I'm moving...should I leave my cat with my neighbour?

melissalkidd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I live in a housing complex that loves cats. Most of the people who live here have cats. My cat is very active and thus lives outdoors but comes home every night and stays sometimes when i am home in the days.

My hours are very haphazard and ive been coming home later and later for the past couple years so i only get to see my cat at night. He is allowed to roam and I know he goes to visit with my neighbour and her cats sometimes.

I have decided to move and it has been quite a challenge finding another housing complex that will let me take my cat. Said neighbour, who my cat visits, owns a real estate company and she has been trying to help me find a new place. Today she called to ask how the house hunt is going. I told her not well as I can't find anywhere that will allow me to take the cat. This is when she proceeds to "break the news" to me that my cat has actually been living with her for the past couple years and comes straight to her house once I let him out and he stays there all day until she physically puts him out or he feels to come home to me (its mostly the former). She has now said she would like to keep him here because he seems to be happy and that way I can choose somewhere I want to live (and not solely on the basis that they allow cats) and I can visit anytime I want. Of course, now I am torn. Do I leave my little baby or do I take him with me? Here are my thougts and concerns:

1) If I take him to a new place is he in danger of being confused and running away or getting hit by a car or worse...eaten by a new neighbour's dog?

2) If i leave him will he stay with my neighbour at nights or when it rains, or will he still try to come "home" to me?

3) will he try to find me after i leave?

aislinn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It sounds like your neighbor really loves him and will take great care of him. It may upset him having to leave the complex that he knows so well. The good news is that you can visit him. I would leave him with your neighbor.

manemelissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm actually about to move into a new place (one that is allowing my cat and bird), so I completely understand the trouble of finding housing that will allow pets. Many places I looked at already had 3-4 applicants and I had zero chance of getting them because there is such a small selection of pet-friendly housing.

That being said, I think your neighbor sounds like she has been thinking about and cares for your cat a lot and if you are okay with it, then I would leave your cat with her. It sounds like you've already made up your mind about that and are now just wanting to make sure that your cat won't endanger itself to look for you. It sounds like you haven't moved already, so why not let her keep him now and see what happens? If what she says is true and she has to practically toss him out to get him to leave, then it sounds like he won't be coming to look for you at night; he'll most likely be snuggled up in her apartment somewhere. In the meantime you can start applying for housing and by the time you actually move, your cat will be right at home in your neighbor's place.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melissalkidd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I haven't really made up my mind...I love him alot and he carried me through some tough times.

In trying to make my decision the hardest parts come when he's all snuggled up and refuses to leave the house and like last night when he woke up and came right to my face to give me headrubs and kisses while I was asleep.

Breaks my heart to think I'm leaving him.I really am torn.

aislinn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you can keep him indoors when you move, then that would be best. He won't know the new environment and will be confused. It's a tough decision but always do what's best for your kitty.