I'm insane!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KatKisses

So much for having second thoughts!
Yeah, I named them. I guess it's a done deal!!

The girls in the office fell in love with their names.

Originally Posted by cococat

No you would be insane if you just wanted one single destruct-o kitten, two just makes sense
Of all the replies, that one made me laugh out loud!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
That's great! I'm so happy for you! (And congrats on your recent weight-loss in the other post!)

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awww, I LOVE their names!

Pria was a prime example that size doesn't always have anything to do with age. She was tiny from the day she got here, and at 4 months of age, she didn't look any bigger than 8-10 weeks. It took her forever to grow, and although she has grown some, she will always be a small, dainty kitty.

I can't wait to see pics of your new kids!

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Get mommy, too! I wish you could see your way clear to keep mommy with her babies.

We have a total of 8 living with us now. We were caring for 4 outside cats that adopted our home as they're safe haven. When I trapped the mommy feral and her two kittens I had the choice of separating them - especially the kittens to be socialized - but I just couldn't break them up. I felt the mommy would grieve. I was able to closely observe them because I put their "nests" under one of my windows. The daddy helped them all stay safe, would also groom them, and the mommy was very affectionate to the daddy.

We were able to protect them when finally, just about 3 months ago, we now have them all inside. They are gradually making themselves at home. I do not regret the additional work, and expense, of keeping the family together.

So, being insane is part of the pleasure of caring for cats - and, you certainly have the proper Certificate of Insanity - but, I'd like to read that you've decided to apply for another Star to your Insanity Certificate.

By-the-way, mommy feral nursed her kittens for about 2 (?) months after she was spayed.

I am not intending on laying any guilt on you - because you, and you alone know how insane you can be at any given time - but, just thought I'd vote for Mommy, too.

What ever you need to do I whole heartedly applaud your courage in adding to your family! You will be blessed more than whatever fears you may be considering. We always seem to get stretched more than we think we are able, and when we look back we wonder what all the problem was. I hope Abby recovers quickly and is happy for the company you've brought her!
You've done good!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would love to get the Mommy too! But I can't

My building doesn't technically allow pets, but they've turned a blind eye to the fact that I had 1 cat when I moved in and 18 months later had 2 cats. I keep my place clean and the cat litter clean and I don't let my cats roam the halls, and they aren't destructive.

However, I'm pushing it with 3 cats, even though I now that someone in the building has 5 cats and a fish pond in the middle of her living room! Yes, a real fish pond complete with a rock border that takes up most of her living room! (don't ask!!!)

Also, physically I'm going to be hard pressed to keep up with 2 kittens and Abby who is very needy for loving/cuddling and needs to be pasted up against me practically every waking minute, and always in bed.

Plus, the kittens have been separated from the Mom for some weeks now. So it would mean having to reintroduce her to her kittens and Abby, but having to try to introduce all three of them to Abby. It would require more rooms than I have to keep everyone apart until the intros are done. As it is, the poor kittens are going to be in my bathroom during the day and night when I'm not home or am sleeping, and occasionally in the cat carrier for everyone to see one another.

I have been asking around at work to see if anyone wants a beautiful black kitty though!!! I would love to find her a home!

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
I hear you Natalie_ca!

Sometimes I dream of owning a lot of land for a cat sanctuary - and I know there are places like that. We'd just like to take every lonely cat we see and reassure them that they are loved - but, we can't.

But, when we are able to take even one cat and give it a loving home we have done a great thing - one cat at a time makes a big difference - especially for that one cat.

I went to your other thread about Abby - and I see that you do have your hands full supporting her in her time of need.

The kittens are so fortunate to have you as their new mommy and I just know you'll be able to work out any issues that come. I sort of think that they were assigned to you, and their birth mommy is already assigned to someone else - it's just a matter of time for her new mommy to know it, too.

I hope Abby is recovering quickly, and that she will find the kittens entertaining, and not threatening.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tomorrow I'm going to get another litter tray, more cat litter, kitten chow and some soft food.

Tonight I need to kitten proof my wires/cables.

Any suggestions on that?

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Tomorrow I'm going to get another litter tray, more cat litter, kitten chow and some soft food.

Tonight I need to kitten proof my wires/cables.

Any suggestions on that?

Cover all the holes that they can crawl into and you can't get them out - and then watch for surprise moves by those fun lovin' cuties - they'll sure let you know what you've missed.

I'm guessing that you already have all the strings, rubber bands, and dental floss secured.

I can't wait to hear the stories.

g

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are cord covers, they sell them at office supply stores. Someone on here uses them and they work for her. Wish I could find the thread... you could google for a pic lol.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG!!! Tomorrow is the day! I'm a bundle of nerves!!
I'm filled with huge anxiety actually!

I keep second guessing myself as to whether I'm doing the right thing.

Will Abby be ok with them?

Will they be ok with Abby?

Who will be the dominant when the kittens become adults? (I hope it's Abby because I don't want her living in a shadow again)

Will I be able to physically manage 3 cats? Chynna and Abby were both very needy cats and I was hard pressed to give them the attention that they both wanted because of their jealousy towards each other.

I keep thinking that it's not too late to change my mind, but then I think about those 2 little ones living in a cage when they should have a loving home, which I am in a position to give. And then the cycle starts all over again!!!

You know.... all that kind of stuff! I think I need an Ativan for anxiety!!

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
So -

1) don't allow your fears to rob you of joy.
2) Abby: it won't matter who is dominate - you're the leader (boss)

The cats will figure out the rest - just make sure that all have his/her individual bowls for food and water - and, maybe litter(?) then there won't be a cause for arguments (mostly).

Believe me, everything that you are concerned with now will seem funny later. It's a growth process, one day at a time, as the saying goes. Don't make things bigger than they are - and b-r-e-a-t-h-e!
The cats will pick up on your anxiety and then you'll really be in the "soup".

And one thing - I suggest that you stop with the idea that you still have a decision to make - you've made it - the furbabies are now yours to care for - you've already decided. Let the love overwhelm the circumstance.

g

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Linda,

If you can't find the cord covers anywhere, you could use PVC pipe to thread the cords through.

Good luck with the kitties tomorrow! Post pics ASAP, please!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can also just spray them with Bitter Apple and see how that goes.

for calm. You're going to be a great moewmy.
Tell Abby she's your #1, always will be, and these kitties are joining you because they need a home.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

You can also just spray them with Bitter Apple and see how that goes.

for calm. You're going to be a great moewmy.
Tell Abby she's your #1, always will be, and these kitties are joining you because they need a home.

I've been talking to her for a week now telling her about Spencer and Katie while giving her brushes and snuggings.

I just got back from getting a litter tray. Man it's small! But then again they are babies. But I'll have to go and invest in one like Abby uses. Because I know Abby will be using their box too, and she tends to either forget to turn around once in, or perches (yes! She perches with 3 paws on the edge and 1 in the box) too close to the edge in the corner and over shoots. But for now while they are going to be confined to the bathroom, the small box will be ok.

Any advice on when to start introducing them outside of them peeking and pawing under the bathroom door?

Is it wrong to put Abby in the bedroom for an hour or so perhaps on Saturday or Sunday and let the kittens out in the main area for a a short while for a bit of play? I really wish I had a 2 bedroom! It would make this whole process so much easier!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's exactly what you should do. Head into the bedroom with Abby, love on her, leave her treats, and shut the door... and let the little ones out for a little while to explore and play (if they're not still scared out of their wits, which they may be - see how they're doing).

Abby will be able to smell them, they'll be able to smell her out there, and it'll help everyone get used to the idea of those scents being in the same areas.

When we integrated Chumley, that's exactly what we did. Brought him over for an hour at first, and corralled the other cats in the back. Then we did supervised intros, always with play or treats, and then fed them a meal together.

You should also rub the kitties with a cloth (same cloth, both cats), and put it under Abby's food dish.
Get her associating their scent with good things. Might want another one, and leave treats out for her randomly on it.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Get those big doggie wee-wee pads to put under the little litter box, so if Abby overshoots, it goes on the wee-wee pad.
What a good idea!! I'm currently using some plastic grooved mats that I bought through a gift company. They are 20 years old and starting to tear and a huge pain in the butt to wash. The pads would be disposable and I would just have to change the pad and not have to worry about trying to wash 3 plastic grooved mats with caked on cat litter and stinky pee!!

I'm assuming they can be found at most pet stores? I"m going on Saturday to look for a small cat tree, cat nip, a petmate water filter and now those pads. Maybe a cat bed now that I'll have at least 2 cats that want to cuddle up together.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They're available everywhere, I think! We bought them at Walmart (we have to put them in the crate for Shelly when we take him to the vet). But I think I've seen them at the supermarket, and I'm positive a pet store will have them - but it can't hurt to call ahead. They may have different names, but they'll know what you're talking about! They're sold generally for dogs, as pads for when training puppies.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She very well might be mad at first, most cats are. Mainly just a hiss or two tho.
Not trying to freak you out, just being realistic. She will probably give in faster than you expect, mine always do lol.