I'm in!

berylayn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
keep in mind you are leading young children. I tended to be more of a follower too in HS. In college I came out of my shell a little more. But trust me leading 5,6,7 years olds is A LOT different than leading adults. You will be great!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by berylayn

keep in mind you are leading young children. I tended to be more of a follower too in HS. In college I came out of my shell a little more. But trust me leading 5,6,7 years olds is A LOT different than leading adults. You will be great!
Thanks, I needed that pep talk. And I'll probably need more of them within the upcoming year, you've been warned!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by berylayn

Remember the time best spent for you will be in the school with kids. The classes don't really mean much. Teaching is kinda a sink or swim profession. You have to just kinda be thrown into the water and then find your way. I know that doesn't sound all that promising, but you have to find your own style and your own way to get the job done.
That is so true! I'd add that you can also get great tips from other teachers - so don't be afraid to ask them about how they do certain things, what works and what doesn't. And don't pay any attention to the "scare stories". I've seen a couple of studies that found that teachers were subject to more stress than Formula One drivers - to that I have to say that the job is never monotonous!

ali012281

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
HORAY!!!!! What a wonderful (not so suprising if you ask me) suprise!!! Congrats Ariana!!! Be sure to put your start date on a post it!!! Don't forget!!!

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ali012281

HORAY!!!!! What a wonderful (not so suprising if you ask me) suprise!!! Congrats Ariana!!! Be sure to put your start date on a post it!!! Don't forget!!!
Already got it covered - a hot pink post-it no less! I'd love to ink it permanantly in my planner but I have to wait and see which classes I got assigned.

Thanks guys, and here's hoping everything works out according to plan - I get the class days I ask for, I get off from work when I need to, and that my co-workers don't slack off (which could prevent me from going to classes, studying, etc)!

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sofiecusion

Great News!!!!! What grade level do you want to teach?

Thanks guys... and I'm thinking Kindergarten. Either that or Pre-K... no older than 3rd graders though... I look really young and I figure if I taught high school, the students would think I was their classmate!

mamacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just looking through the weekend posts to see what I missed, and I saw this! Congratulations Ari! Oh yeah,...we told you so!
Sorry, I couldn't resist. But seriously, this is terrific, I am so happy for you.

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mamacat

Oh yeah,...we told you so!
Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Yeah, yeah I know... I've only been told, oh 20 times!! Ha ha... funny that you all have so much more faith in me than I do!