I'm going wedding dress shopping!!

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eh. If I ever have a daughter, I won't kid myself. She won't want to wear my dress, just like I wouldn't have wanted to wear my mom's dress if she had asked me (she didn't bother...her dress SCREAMED 1979.) Plus, my mom and I are totally different sizes, so it wouldn't have worked out anyway!

It's a really special dress, yes, but I doubt I'll ever have a reason to wear it again! May as well make someone else's wedding all the more special, since whoever gets my dress wouldn't have been able to afford as nice a dress. I donated all of my homecoming and prom dresses to the Cinderella Project, and one girl actually tracked me down and sent me pictures! It was SO COOL!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

Eh. If I ever have a daughter, I won't kid myself. She won't want to wear my dress, just like I wouldn't have wanted to wear my mom's dress if she had asked me (she didn't bother...her dress SCREAMED 1979.) Plus, my mom and I are totally different sizes, so it wouldn't have worked out anyway!

It's a really special dress, yes, but I doubt I'll ever have a reason to wear it again! May as well make someone else's wedding all the more special, since whoever gets my dress wouldn't have been able to afford as nice a dress. I donated all of my homecoming and prom dresses to the Cinderella Project, and one girl actually tracked me down and sent me pictures! It was SO COOL!
Well, that's very true... although I think we all have to admit that fashion has improved greatly since 1979!!
I do intend to go for something timeless, so maybe that won't be so much of a problem, but I do see what you're saying.

That's fantastic that you were tracked down like that just so you could see your old gowns being put to work again! That's a really special something for you to hold onto for years to come
We never had homecomings, being a British school - and in fact my year's prom dance was ruined by the younger years gate-crashing and getting violent - all because they wanted to come and were told that it was just for the senior year. So, that one dress was destroyed - it was silk, but trying to get away from the "dance" it was stepped on, had beer poured on it and was ripped beyond repair. I would have liked to have worn that one again, but unfortunately we couldn't save it. So my wedding gown is going to be the only nice gown I've ever really owned and had the chance to keep nice.

Was the girl who tracked you down sending pics from a Prom dance or a homecoming? It sounds like she must have had a wonderful time if she cared enough to show you the pictures of how beautiful she looked in it

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you enjoy your shopping! I cannot wait for that day to come for me!

I gave my prom dresses to a few girls that are in high school now, that really cannot afford to buy a big fancy dress. They sent me pictures & it made me feel so good that I helped make their night
Especially since I was in high school over 5 years ago & my dresses are still 'in' style

What made me sad though is realizing how tiny I was back then & I couldn't fit in those dresses if I even wanted to!