I'm draining the water bed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A girl by the name of Susan is coming to pick up the bed this afternoon.

I've managed to take off both side rails and have those plus the foot board in the living room.

She's coming here after her doctor's appointment to help me take the rest of it apart and move it into my living room and to take the drawers home in her car. Then her and her husband are coming with the truck and taking the rest.

My brother will be ecstatic that he doesn't have to take it apart! He hates my bed with a passion because I always call on him to help me take it apart and put it together when I move.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you want some warmth back, maybe you can try a warming mattress pad. I have one and I use it in the winter when it gets cold, it's really nice! The one I have has more warming elements by the foot of the bed so it keeps my feet nice and warm.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekochan

If you want some warmth back, maybe you can try a warming mattress pad. I have one and I use it in the winter when it gets cold, it's really nice! The one I have has more warming elements by the foot of the bed so it keeps my feet nice and warm.
I saw those in a flyer and was wondering how they work! Are they lumpy to sleep on? I know in electric blankets you can feel the coils. Is it the same in a mattress pad?

I just got a call from The Best Sleep Centre and they will be here in about 20 minutes!!!

That means that within the hour and I can go and have a nap!
I didn't sleep a single minute last night and I'm so over tired that I'm feeling nauseous.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I saw those in a flyer and was wondering how they work! Are they lumpy to sleep on? I know in electric blankets you can feel the coils. Is it the same in a mattress pad?
The one I have is not lumpy. The heating wires are pretty flat and it is padded so you don't really feel them. If I run your hand over the bed I can tell where the wires are but when lying on it I can't feel them.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekochan

The one I have is not lumpy. The heating wires are pretty flat and it is padded so you don't really feel them. If I run your hand over the bed I can tell where the wires are but when lying on it I can't feel them.
I'll look into those then!

I finally got around to doing my laundry and making up the bed properly. I had regular queen size sheets and a mattress pad on my water bed, so I just used those. They fit right down to the bottom of the mattress but were not long enough to go under the corners. But that's easy enough to fix using waistband elastic and stitching it under the corner so that it hooks under the mattress.

I will invest in new sheets and a new comforter next month. I also want one of those pretty bed skirts and some extra pillows so that I can prop myself up when I read.

In February I'm going to buy the rest of the bedroom set: Dresser, mirror, chest, 2 end tables and an actual bed frame with a head/foot board. I want a dark cherry wood. After that I can work on decorating the room in a Japanese theme

cassielainie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i don't get the appeal of a water bed.. i mean, i guess they're fun for kids.. i was always jealous of my friend who had a water bed growing up.. but i dated someone recently who had a waterbed, and i was not impressed..
anytime i would sleep over, i always felt like i coudln't move around without disturbing him.. the sheets slipped all over the place, i woke up with back pain the next day.. and i always got sea sick in the morning when he would try to get out of bed..
it just didn't work out..
he finally got a regualar bed.. but that was about the time we stopped seeing each other.. oh well.. i'm guessing the next girl in his life will thank me!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cassielainie

i coudln't move around without disturbing him.. the sheets slipped all over the place, i woke up with back pain the next day.. and i always got sea sick in the morning when he would try to get out of bed..
Sounds like he had what is called a "free-flow" bladder instead of a "wave-less."

Mine was the top number wave-less and had fibre baffles inside to prevent the water from sloshing around. So long as there was no air inside the mattress there was barely any water movement at all. In fact a wave would stop before it hit the other side of the bed.

With a "free-flow" you feel like you are in a dingy in the middle of a turbulent ocean tide because there is nothing inside the bladder other than water and nothing to slow down or prevent it from moving and bouncing back. If the movement is hard enough a wave is created that can even bounce you out of bed unless you are holding on!

Granted a wave-less mattress is more expensive than a free flow one but is so worth it so far as comfort goes.

My water bed mattress was 13 years old and typically they should be changed every 10 years. A new mattress might have made a huge difference to my sleep quality and back issue, but I figured if I was going to spend 7 hours draining my bed that I may as well just take it apart and get a conventional bed. I want to move next year, so I didn't want to have to go through draining the bed and sleeping on the couch for another 2 nights at that time.

I'm absolutely loving this new bed!!!
The last 2 mornings I've woken up with absolutely zero pain! ZERO!!!