I'm dogsitting my mom's Wire Hair Fox Terrier! Before/After grooming pictures!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
(sorry I'm posting this here, cat's and other animals won't let me post threads, "security token invalid"
So I'm trying to post here)

My mom/family is gone for the weekend and I get to dogsit Tinker! We didn't name him, and no, we don't have any idea why someone would name him that!
Thor absolutely LOVES Tinker and couldn't be happier to have Tinker here with us. The cats on the other hand, aren't fond, but they seem to be used to me bringing all sorts of animals home

Anyway, I picked up Tinker, a 10 year old Wire Hair Fox Terrier, looking like this:

Now he looks like this!!! What do you think? Keep in mind I don't have any training, I'm just following pictures. So if it doesn't look perfect that's why!

Look at that face!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Haha that's so cute - good job! I bet he loves his new haircut - it'd be a bit cooler!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He's looking good! Dogs are sooo much happier in the heat when they get a good haircut. He looks like a little troublemaker.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a sweetheart! The very first dog I remember (he was my Aunt's) was a wirehaired fox terrier, and he was a troublemaker, and he was the sweetest little nut I've ever met. That's a very long time ago, and I'm getting misty. Thanks for letting me revisit MacGregor.

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww what a sweetie! Thor's gonna have so much fun with another dog around

wingss2fly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He looks cute!! For a dog..........LOL..no I am kidding. I like dogs. I would have gotten one, but you can't keep them where I live. Plus they bark.
You did a good job with the trimers too!
K.
You should see my DH when I get a hold of the trimers...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tinker and Thor have had a great time! Tinker is great, he listens really well and is either sleeping or chewing on a bone. He's pretty lazy now that he's old. As a youngster though....my land did he have a ton of energy!

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You should never use a 10 on a Fox's pattern; they should be left longer over the back; you can use a 10 on the head and ears but it shouldn't be used over the topline: They have pinkish skin under there, so you use a #5 or longer, to keep them from sunburning, or clipper burning. Also, you gotta comb the long parts out better; I see lots of clumpy matty type areas...

As far as your set pattern...it's fairly good for a 'first timer'. If you do him again, though, His face pattern should stop at the corner of his eye (not the 'front' corner' the 'back' corner, nearest the ear) the rest is scissored to have the appearance of a "brick". Trim around the edges of his ears, to neaten up his head appearance as well. The whole appearance of a fully groomed Fox Terrier, is tight and neat.

His pattern along his body appears pretty good, but next time run the clipper straight off without shaving 'under' the ribcage. Take the pattern right down to his elbow on his front legs; again, just run the clipper straight down toward the table, without pressing 'in' to the elbow. I can't see his chest, but again, run the clipper straight down; no 'bowtie' should be left...the pattern is tight and neat, no excess 'fluff' should be present. The rear end should drop down a bit more, to give a much cleaner appearance, as well. The legs are good, but comb them out really well, and trim around the feet; round them, but don't 'expose' the actual paw underneath... The underside part of the pattern should be tight, as well; not left the same length as the legs. I use thinning shears, or a snap on comb to tighten up the underside. I also use a snap on comb (or scissor) the legs shorter too; they aren't left 'long and natural' like on a Schnauzer.

If I get a Fox in sometime soon, I will try to remember to take before and after shots, so you can see the things I am talking about so when you do him next time, you can do him even better
Good job overall though

Don't worry, I'm not trying to sound 'mean'...just giving you ideas of where you can improve next time around.

I'm a groomer, what do you expect...hahaha

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by faith's_mom

You should never use a 10 on a Fox's pattern; they should be left longer over the back; you can use a 10 on the head and ears but it shouldn't be used over the topline: They have pinkish skin under there, so you use a #5 or longer, to keep them from sunburning, or clipper burning. Also, you gotta comb the long parts out better; I see lots of clumpy matty type areas...

As far as your set pattern...it's fairly good for a 'first timer'. If you do him again, though, His face pattern should stop at the corner of his eye (not the 'front' corner' the 'back' corner, nearest the ear) the rest is scissored to have the appearance of a "brick". Trim around the edges of his ears, to neaten up his head appearance as well. The whole appearance of a fully groomed Fox Terrier, is tight and neat.

His pattern along his body appears pretty good, but next time run the clipper straight off without shaving 'under' the ribcage. Take the pattern right down to his elbow on his front legs; again, just run the clipper straight down toward the table, without pressing 'in' to the elbow. I can't see his chest, but again, run the clipper straight down; no 'bowtie' should be left...the pattern is tight and neat, no excess 'fluff' should be present. The rear end should drop down a bit more, to give a much cleaner appearance, as well. The legs are good, but comb them out really well, and trim around the feet; round them, but don't 'expose' the actual paw underneath... The underside part of the pattern should be tight, as well; not left the same length as the legs. I use thinning shears, or a snap on comb to tighten up the underside. I also use a snap on comb (or scissor) the legs shorter too; they aren't left 'long and natural' like on a Schnauzer.

If I get a Fox in sometime soon, I will try to remember to take before and after shots, so you can see the things I am talking about so when you do him next time, you can do him even better
Good job overall though

Don't worry, I'm not trying to sound 'mean'...just giving you ideas of where you can improve next time around.

I'm a groomer, what do you expect...hahaha
I figured there would be a groomer on here somewhere! I do him that short only because that's what my parents like (stays shorter longer). We haven't had a problem with sun burning at all, but that's probably because the back yard is completely shadded. That's the only area he gets to be in because he runs away off leash.
My parents have taken him to several groomers and they all do an awful job. One shaved ALL his hair off because she thought that's what we meant by "fox terrier cut"
The other groomer would leave it so long that it was pointless, and the others would give him back looking like he went threw a razer wire fence!

His face...I did it really bare because he's nearly blind, I've never done it that way so I was trying it out. He seems to see better
I'm not sure how much he can see with all the open space, he ran into things all over my house. Poor thing.

And those pictures were before I brushed him out
I didn't brush him till that night on the couch.

I'll be waiting for your pictures though!!! Then I'll have a good idea of what you are talking about and maybe do it better next time!