IM DESPERATE

acearunie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I rescued an adult male cat about 5 months ago, and I love him! But, his previous owner did not really have a litter box, so the cat would go wherever he pleased... This hasn't changed. He pees and poops outside of the litter box constantly. I have seen him use the box, but I wake up to his messes every morning. I am desperate! My parents are going to make me get rid of him if I don't stop this. But that will only pass the problem to someone else. This cat finally has a nice home, and I don't want to take that from him. But, I have absolutely no idea how to fix this problem. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you!!

- Rachel

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he neutered? What is the litterbox situation (how many boxes, what kind of boxes, what kind of litter, how often is is scooped/cleaned, etc.)? Does he mostly pee or poop outside the box? Has he been checked by a vet to make sure he's healthy?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

acearunie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got him neutered when I rescued him, about 2-3 years old. I have 2 cats and 2 litter boxes. I know I should get a 3rd, but not sure where to put it and just haven't gotten around to it. I use tidy cats, and I could probably clean more often than I do. I guess he mostly pees. And it's not spraying, we will find puddles in the middle of the floor. And I have not taking him to the vet for this issue. But plan on getting prices for the vet visit tomorrow. 

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
I got him neutered when I rescued him, about 2-3 years old. I have 2 cats and 2 litter boxes. I know I should get a 3rd, but not sure where to put it and just haven't gotten around to it. I use tidy cats, and I could probably clean more often than I do. I guess he mostly pees. And it's not spraying, we will find puddles in the middle of the floor. And I have not taking him to the vet for this issue. But plan on getting prices for the vet visit tomorrow. 
1 box per cat plus 1 per floor or 2 floors x 2 cats equals 6 boxes

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

acearunie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
6?! I was always told that it was 1 per cat plus 1.

keyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay-I know I've heard the the ratios as far as number of cats and number of litter boxes and I have to tell you that I don't follow the "rules" about that at all.  I have 6 cats in my house right now and if I were to follow the ratio thing that would be 7 litter boxes in my house which would leave me no floor room at all.  I have 3 litter boxes.  You heard right.  6 cats and 3 litter boxes.  For litter boxes I use the sterilite or rubbermaid flat storage boxes which are larger that the normal litter boxes.  21 1/2 inches long and 15 inches wide.  I have two of them on rugs side by side in front of my washer and dryer.  The 3rd one, at this time, is in my walk-in closet and it will be moved as soon as Ole gets acclimated to living here.  I'm anal as far as cleaning out the litter boxes as soon as they get used but there are times when I'm gone 5 or 6 hours and there has been no problems.  Granted my house is one level  and it's also 24 ft by 48 ft.  Two level house-if you have the right spot for a litterbox go for it.  I loved one of the suggestions that someone posted earlier on another thread.  Litterbox, cat litter and a layer of regular dirt on top of that.  If it was me, I would keep him confined, bathroom, utility room or something like that with food, water and litterbox.  If not socializing with him then back to "lockup".  Sounds harsh but the alternative of finding him a new home would be worse.  Just passing the problem down the line. 

justicereigh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cats can do this for a lot of reasons.

I would recommend (based off of experience and reading):
1. Vet visit. Make sure he doesn't have an infection or anything uncomfortable. My oldest stopped using her box for a bit, but we found out it was because of a UTI- she was associating the pain with the box.
2. Get one or two more litter boxes, place them in places he pees. Use a couple different litters and shape/style of box to see if he has preferences.
3. Whenever you adopt a cat, they should be kept in one room and not allowed out for some amount of time. I think the time depends on the cat, my Q stayed in my bedroom for three months before she was allowed out, best decision I ever made. She comes when called without fail, has absolutely no aggression, and is a sweetie.

I've also seen a lot of people talking about Feliway (I think?) some sort of little attractor, which has gotten pretty good reviews from what I've seen, though I've never personally used it.

good luck with him! Adopting older cats is a great thing, adopting kitties period is awesome! I hope it works out. From what I've learned, rescued pets that require a little extra care end up being the most loyal and affectionate companions you could ask for.