Im curious to know what breed my cat could be or close to..

gkrisstin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted him from a animal shelter about a year ago. They said he was about a year an a half old. They found him by a nice neighborhood but nobody claimed him. He has very pretty blue eyes an he's White and red they said I think it's kinda orange. It doesn't really matter to me I love him the same. We're just curious to know. Thank you for any suggestions.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
His breed is "Gorgeous."  
   I know next to nothing about cat breeds, but we do have several members who do - hopefully one of them will chime in with an answer for you.  My semi-educated guess is that your boy is either a long hair or medium hair ginger tabby (ginger = orange = red.)  Tabby is just his coat pattern, not a breed.  I've sometimes seen cats his color referred to as "cream" tabbies.    

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gkrisstin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well thank you. That helps me out. I know nothing about breeds either[emoji]128516[/emoji].but hopefully someone can help me with it. I'm just curious to know what breed he could be. The animal shelter told me all they could tell me was he's a domestic long hair

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I adopted him from a animal shelter about a year ago. They said he was about a year an a half old. They found him by a nice neighborhood but nobody claimed him. He has very pretty blue eyes an he's White and red they said I think it's kinda orange. It doesn't really matter to me I love him the same. We're just curious to know. Thank you for any suggestions.
This with blue eyes immediately confirms what I suspected. He is a point, ie a "siamese-mix".  Red is called for flame. Tabby for lynx, so it will be Flame Lynx Point, longhair domestic.     Some may perhaps tell just Flame point - as all red cats are tabbies, so its no sport calling them for tabbies.   But if you think it sounds more impressive to throw in that Lynx, so please, do so.    :)

And yes, although all that fireworks, my guess is he is a longhair domestic, exactly like they said in that shelter.  You dont need no fancy parentage to be a point, its enough with both parents being carriers of the point gene.  The parents themselves could have any looks...

The longhair gene behaves similiar, btw.   So the parents didnt need to be longhaired themselves, either.

If we try to find a breed to compare with??  I dunno, probably the balinese wold be closest, ie the mediumhaired balinese - some indiviudals there do have full longh hair.

Although their muzzle tends to be somewhat prolonged, more than with your boy.

gkrisstin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you stefanz.I knew he had to pretty just to be a regular cat.[emoji]128516[/emoji].that's very interesting to know.even though I love him the same either way. He's the best $125 I've ever spent. My husband didn't want me to get him at first but now he's in love. I looked up the breeds to see what he compare to an that was one of them. He's the sweetest thing ever. Him an my boxer get along well which surprised me even though they get jealous of each other. I appreciate your input.

gkrisstin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This with blue eyes immediately confirms what I suspected. He is a point, ie a "siamese-mix".  Red is called for flame. Tabby for lynx, so it will be Flame Lynx Point, longhair domestic.     Some may perhaps tell just Flame point - as all red cats are tabbies, so its no sport calling them for tabbies.   But if you think it sounds more impressive to throw in that Lynx, so please, do so.    :)

And yes, although all that fireworks, my guess is he is a longhair domestic, exactly like they said in that shelter.  You dont need no fancy parentage to be a point, its enough with both parents being carriers of the point gene.  The parents themselves could have any looks...

The longhair gene behaves similiar, btw.   So the parents didnt need to be longhaired themselves, either.

If we try to find a breed to compare with??  I dunno, probably the balinese wold be closest, ie the mediumhaired balinese - some indiviudals there do have full longh hair.
Although their muzzle tends to be somewhat prolonged, more than with your boy.
thank you