I'm concerned, is my cat in labour or something else?

Hal95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OK so my partner and I took on one of his friends cats 3 weeks ago (long story, but she's better off with us) he said that he has no idea when she got pregnant as she's always been a house cat but she started getting round about a week weeks prior so I assume she's due any day now.
Anyway, yesterday she ate a lot more than what she usually has then went to her nesting area and stayed there all day-she was a little vocal in the morning and wanted me to stay and pet her but then calmed down around lunch and didn't want me near her for the rest of the day/night.
This morning she was in her nest but wouldn't touch her food at all (only a big drink) and again didn't want me near her, so i left her alone and popped my head in the door every 20 minutes just to see how she is(if I could hear any panting, crying etc or any obvious changes) I hadn't noticed anything strange until about an hour ago I spotted her moving from one nesting box to another but her rear legs looked a a bit wet so I went in to have a closer look and there was some brown/pink discharge-while I was there I realised that her sides/stomach tensed, sort of like a contraction-but not seemingly strong enough that it looked like a push? I thought maybe she was about to go into labour so I decided to leave and keep watching from a difference every 10 minutes since she doesn't want me near her-but there has been no difference, she's still tensing/contracting every other minute but she's not being vocal or breathing heavy/panting? I've already left the vet a voicemail and now just waiting to be called back.
Just wondering if its anything to be concerned about as anything I see on other websites seem like horror stories 😔😔

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OK so my partner and I took on one of his friends cats 3 weeks ago (long story, but she's better off with us) he said that he has no idea when she got pregnant as she's always been a house cat but she started getting round about a week weeks prior so I assume she's due any day now.
Anyway, yesterday she ate a lot more than what she usually has then went to her nesting area and stayed there all day-she was a little vocal in the morning and wanted me to stay and pet her but then calmed down around lunch and didn't want me near her for the rest of the day/night.
This morning she was in her nest but wouldn't touch her food at all (only a big drink) and again didn't want me near her, so i left her alone and popped my head in the door every 20 minutes just to see how she is(if I could hear any panting, crying etc or any obvious changes) I hadn't noticed anything strange until about an hour ago I spotted her moving from one nesting box to another but her rear legs looked a a bit wet so I went in to have a closer look and there was some brown/pink discharge-while I was there I realised that her sides/stomach tensed, sort of like a contraction-but not seemingly strong enough that it looked like a push? I thought maybe she was about to go into labour so I decided to leave and keep watching from a difference every 10 minutes since she doesn't want me near her-but there has been no difference, she's still tensing/contracting every other minute but she's not being vocal or breathing heavy/panting? I've already left the vet a voicemail and now just waiting to be called back.
Just wondering if its anything to be concerned about as anything I see on other websites seem like horror stories 😔😔
Reading, will write soon. Stand by

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This could be Braxton Hicks contractions, but I suspect its the real prelabor.
Prelabor may be several hours, even up to 24 hour. Although its usually shorter than with human women.

What you must be highly beware, is active pushing without results. More than 30-40 minutes and off you go to the vet...

So, I hope its a normal delivery, with prelabor, and you have kittens in a few hours... But unsworen is best and good you are watchful.

IF she wants to eat something, try to give her something containing calcium. Whatever she eats; but youghurt, cheese, goats milk, kmr, are reliable sources.

continuing!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How to know what is Braxton Hicks, and what is starting labor for real?

If you know well the cat, you know when she has dropped, ie suddenly seems less big.
If she has dropped, you can presume its starting labor - which in its early fases may take several hours as said.

But if you are sure she hasnt dropped, its almost surely Braxton Hicks - a way of Mother Nature to train up the muscles.

Good luck!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds like labor! Also sounds like her water broke. Most cats get restless as yours did before labor begins. First stage labor can last 24 hours. How is she doing now?

Thanks for giving her a good home! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hal95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sounds like labor! Also sounds like her water broke. Most cats get restless as yours did before labor begins. First stage labor can last 24 hours. How is she doing now?

Thanks for giving her a good home! :)

So not long after I wrote the post a head came out, but mum was absolutely exhausted and could barely bring herself to push anymore, I tried helping her with with a clean towel and gentle tug but it was definitely stuck. I ran her up to the vets, sadly the first little baby was already dead prior and had given her an infection and mum was badly dehydrated-I've just received a call saying that there's 2 living kittens and that her surgerys went well😊

Thank you all for the replies 😊💕

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You did the right thing getting her to the vet! When does the new family come home? Please keep us updated as to mom’s and kittens’ progress. :)

Hal95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You did the right thing getting her to the vet! When does the new family come home? Please keep us updated as to mom’s and kittens’ progress. :)

I'm just glad she's okay! It was so distressing to watch-glad I won't be going through that again 😥
I've been told to come and collect them now! (I thought it would've been tomorrow) but I'm not able to get up as the kids are already in bed and my partners working until early hours-so I'm a little concerned that they might not get enough milk through the night as they won't have anyone keeping an eye whilst the surgery's closed 😥

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are the kittens nursing or being hand fed? Does the vet know you cannot get them until tomorrow?

Hal95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are the kittens nursing or being hand fed? Does the vet know you cannot get them until tomorrow?
Thankfully the vet ended up taking them home! My friend came and watched the kids whilst I went up and got them last night (the vet was happy enough to come and open the surgery) .
Both babies are being hand fed and cared for at the moment as mum isn't producing any milk and is still pretty sluggish
15941071812625692668393238438509.jpg

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thankfully the vet ended up taking them home! My friend came and watched the kids whilst I went up and got them last night (the vet was happy enough to come and open the surgery) .
Both babies are being hand fed and cared for at the moment as mum isn't producing any milk and is still pretty sluggishView attachment 342111
Glad these two were delivered safely 😊 Hopefully mama cat feels better soon and can take over feeding duties. At least two is a nice manageable number for her. They are beautiful!! 😻

Hal95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had 2 little kittens yesterday but she needed surgery so they need to be hand fed at the moment-my vet just told me to feed them every other hour and make sure they're gaining weight & peeing/pooping(I've ordered scales but they won't be here until tomorrow/Thursday).
Just wondering how many ml/droplets a newborn usually eats? One of them only takes a couple droplets at a time and the other one seems to latch a little better. Could it be that it's just not hungry hence why it's turning away from the milk?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How much do they weigh? Amount to feed is based on weight. I’m surprised the vet did not give better instructions. You’ll want to get at least 1-2mLs into each kitten every 2 hours, and if one kitten only takes a drop or two, it needs feeding every single hour.

It’s not that the kitten is not hungry, it wants its mother. It needs to get used to a syringe.

Find out from the vet how many grams each kitten weighs, then I can tell you exactly how much to feed. Did the vet tell you that you’ll need to feed through the night too?

When does the vet say mom can nurse? Is she on pain meds? Was she spayed?

Here is a helpful video:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

Hal95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How much do they weigh? Amount to feed is based on weight. I’m surprised the vet did not give better instructions. You’ll want to get at least 1-2mLs into each kitten every 2 hours, and if one kitten only takes a drop or two, it needs feeding every single hour.

It’s not that the kitten is not hungry, it wants its mother. It needs to get used to a syringe.

Find out from the vet how many grams each kitten weighs, then I can tell you exactly how much to feed. Did the vet tell you that you’ll need to feed through the night too?

Here is a helpful video:

Here is a helpful video:

OK I'll ring up soon and ask and get back to you, I'll try once an hour for both for the meantime anyway. Yes I fed them through the night, and she did get sprayed yes.
They said she wasn't producing any milk, so I would have to feed them myself and that they didn't know if she would produce any at all-but if I let them near her for a few minutes here and there it may trigger some hormones. She is on antibiotics and has zero interest in the kittens at all.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She has no interest because she is in pain and exhausted. Is she on pain meds? She should have them for 3 days. After that, she should feel better and hopefully let the kittens begin to nurse. Nursing should bring on her milk eventually. Let’s hope so, because it gets exhausting feeding tiny kittens around the clock for 4-6 weeks.