I'm at that point of losing one of my friends.

John Perram

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wewe or re-run as my wife calls her is 15 human years. She suffers from hyperthyroid and now her kidney are shutting down. The meds do not seem to be helping I'm going to have to make the ultimate decision soon. One of my fur babies will soon pass because I will need to make the decision to end her life. So hard.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The best you can hope for is for Wewe to pass in her sleep, peacefully and at home. But since this rarely happens, just like with humans, you have to come to some kind of decision on what to do when the time comes. You will know when the time comes. When the quality of life is so undermined that she no longer enjoys being with you, eating, and even moving much, that is the time. Cats are masters at hiding pain. Purring loudly can actually be a sign of pain, they are comforting themselves. Hiding is a huge sign, they withdraw.
There have been a few times like this that I have regretted immensely, and that is I did not ask the vet for a syringe of pain reliever to have on hand. If they won't give you one, there are supplement pain relievers on Amazon and sites such as HomeoAnimal (also kidney supplements if you think they would help, and there is a chance, declining kidney function can be a side effect of illness) My Burt suffered as he died because it was on a weekend and a tragic accident with an overturned cattle truck took away every available vet in town. The best intentions can often go bad. We had planned for the vet to come to our house to reduce the stress.
Do not wait until it is so bad that you are actually relieved when you can get the vet. I have been there too, and it prolongs the little one's suffering and the healing of your heart too much. It has been said on this forum many times,
"it's better a day early, then a day of suffering too late". Try not to think of this as 'ending her life'. Think of it as 'ending the suffering'. I am a nurse and I know that when I am close to my end, I pray I am attended by someone who will keep the pain at bay by any means possible. This is one last act of love we can offer our loved ones......
My heart hurts for your pain. I want you to know you are not alone, there are many of us who have had to make this horrible decision. Try not to dwell on it too long, make a decision on when the signs are there, and wait until then. You don't want to waste one minute of offering love and comfort to that sweet girl right now, she needs you and appreciates having you near.
Please know too that even vets can be wrong. My sweet boy was so horribly sick he couldn't walk and was diagnosed with leukemia. The vet told me it was only a matter of days. We actually dug his grave, he was so bad. I syringe fed him DMG and Life Gold for cancers and he took a few licks of Delectable Lickables in stew, a treat we keep on hand now to administer meds, and over a year later is still with us, happy and running around! I thank God for every day we have with him.
I know miracles do not happen often, but where there is love there is hope.
I want you to know also that even though you know that horrible day is coming, as it must for each and every living thing, you cannot prepare for it. You will be just as heartbroken and grief will try to take over your life. That is another reason to love that precious girl right now while you can. Do not regret wasting a single minute on something you cannot control. Regret and all those should haves, could haves are ALWAYS a part of the grieving process. None of us are perfect. Do not make her death more important than her life. That cannot be, you are her whole world and she is a big part of yours. She is a part of your soul because love is spiritual. She will always be as near as your thoughts and prayers. Take care, and give that precious girl a kiss from me.......

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat, Lily, estimated 15 years old with kidney disease, died just over 2 years ago. It was a Sunday night, I phoned my friends at about 11 pm to say that I was taking her to the vet first thing in the morning to be euthanized. It was the worst night of my life. She died at around midnight and in pain and I could do nothing except sit with her and watch. Please don't leave it too late. All the other cats in my life have been euthanized peacefully and quickly, either at the vet's or here at home. Anything is better than watching your cat die, screaming in pain.
Sorry, just writing this is making me cry again.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There is nothing I can offer, but my heartfelt sorrow for what Wewe/Re-run and you are going through. There are never any easy answers, never any easy outs, never anything remotely simple - and our hearts always break despite the fact we know what is inevitable, even when they are young and healthy.

I am happy that she is not any pain right now, and hope you can keep her that way through the holidays. Love her, stay with her, give her all the comfort and solace that you can - it does make a difference to her. I am going to go hug my 16+yo cat, Feeby, who has hyperthyroidism, right now - as much of a tribute to Wewe, as it is to Feeby.

Last edited:

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Wewe or re-run as my wife calls her is 15 human years. She suffers from hyperthyroid and now her kidney are shutting down. The meds do not seem to be helping I'm going to have to make the ultimate decision soon. One of my fur babies will soon pass because I will need to make the decision to end her life. So hard.
Completely understand, it never gets easier. My heart goes out to you.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can feel and understand your pain, because I experienced it before, more than once, and I know how hard and terrible it is.
My advice is that you spend more time as possible with her during these days, celebrate the Christmas with her, make these days the best ones she can have, this will be your gift for her, and she will be grateful forever.
Though our messages can be of some comfort for you, don't sit at the computer, stay next to her.

Hugs to you and kisses to Wewe, there's nothing else I can do for you from the other side of the Ocean :hugs: