I'm afraid my cat suffered from food poisoning from some old bad tuna

Jeff.J

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So on the last Friday night Dipper (male cat 8yo) got into some canned human tuna (which was a day old and water based) and I noticed my him having a heavy gag reflex in the middle of the night. Given he was always a really healthy cat I didn't think much of it I just checked on him a couple times to make sure he was alright and went back to bed. The only issue he had outside of that was a warm forehead and ears. The next day I found a good amount of vomit in one of his hiding places and noticed he hadn't eaten much of his dry kibble and was sleeping a lot more than normal, but he was still eating freeze dried salmon treats when offered. By late Saturday night he wasn't accepting any treats and still hadn't eaten any of the kibble. So I gave him a can of wet food (pate) which he gladly gobbled down. Feeling reluctant I went to bed. The next morning I found a good amount of vomit again.
On Sunday I started watering down his pate and tried a bunch of different brands of wet food to entice him into eating. He'd just make a reflex like he had a bad taste in his mouth and walk away from it. Luckily I did manage to find a wet food he'd eat and keep down but it was a very small amount.
Monday I continued the same procedure with the food he was eating and he ate at least 2/3rds of a can offered but would still gag if he got excited or went to try his dry kibble. He was mostly drowsy for the day but he was doing better compared to the weekends events.
Tuesday he managed to eat a full can of wet food and seems to have mostly normalized. He's attempting to play, is much more stimulated by his surroundings, and you can tell his attitude is better but he's still making an odd reflex. It's not gagging, but just a weird reaction as if he's tasting something bad. Overall you can tell he's tired from the entire ordeal. Hes been plenty hydrated since he's still drinking and getting lots of water from the pate / water / puree pumpkin mixture I prepare for him 3 times a day in 1/3 portions from the can.
Wednesday morning (today) I found some bile on the carpet but he still had an appetite and ate half a can of his pate and peed again.
I'm worried he's suffering from some kind of acid reflux and nausea, and he still hasn't pooped since Saturday morning when he had a case of diarrhea.. which I assume is because he's mostly been on a watery diet and only started holding down substantial amount of food over the last 2 days which's unnatural to him since hes been a dry kibble cat for years. Just as a side note the only reason I didn't bring him to the vet immediately was because i'm in pretty dire straights when it comes to income (i'm on disability and he's an incredibly timid cat since he's a rescue and suffers from trauma with people) I've basically gotten only around 12 hours of sleep over the last three days trying to treat and care for him. The stress has been horrific..

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, did you or anyone else eat some of that tuna?

Can you talk to your vet and possibly work out a payment plan? Do you have vets in your area who will come to your house?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Do you think that you are seeing improvement? Did the tuna sit out for a long period of time? Contained mayonnaise? Was something about the can suspicious from the beginning but the cat found it and ate it? From reading your post, it sounds like there might be some improvement, but I don't want to misinterpret. I am not a vet or a medical professional, so this is only my take on this. It sounds as if he ate tuna that was left out, as opposed to tuna from a can which contained botulism. However, spoiled food can grow all sorts of bacteria and some of it can show symptoms even days later which would still put your cat in range for having side effects from the tuna.

Vomiting, diarrhea, and fever can all be symptoms of food poisoning. A serious case of food poisoning can result in some difficult consequences depending on the bacteria, health of cat, etc.

Unless a cat is very hungry or just inclined to eat anything, they have a sense of what is not safe to eat based on their sense of smell mostly and will usually avoid bad food.

Another possibility is that this is all coincidental to the can of tuna and something else is going on. I agree that if you have a vet you have worked with that you at least call them and explain the circumstances.

No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life - TheCatSite

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jeff.J

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thankyou for the replies and I just want to follow up with some good news. Dipper has seemingly made a full recovery over night. He left a big smelly surprise in his litterbox last night, he's begging for food and even sprinting around again. The only weird thing I've noticed is he wont touch his dry kibble or the shredded meats after getting nothing but the pate diet. I'll keep this thread updated if anything weird shows up in his stool / pee or if the symptoms show back up.