I'm adopting a cat today!!!

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hooray!!!

Although, I dunno, I think you're the definitely the questionable sort, as far as cat caretaker goes!

I feel like a total dolt for asking this (becuase I feel like I SHOULD know), but does Smudge have eyelid agenesis?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have to confess to being a bit thick myself - I didn't realize you were just fostering this sweet, beautiful baby. If, for any reason, they do not allow you to adopt her, tell them we will all descend on them and rip them to shreds if that baby doesn't get to be yours.

I must say - judging by those pictures of your hubby and Smudge, they would have ample reason not to let her stay with you - yeah right! LOL

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations!!!
Happy Gotcha Day Smudge!!!
Its so nice when stories like these have happy endings!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

Hooray!!!

Although, I dunno, I think you're the definitely the questionable sort, as far as cat caretaker goes!

I feel like a total dolt for asking this (becuase I feel like I SHOULD know), but does Smudge have eyelid agenesis?
Hehe yeah we're really questionable

Lots of terms were thrown around - but I'm pretty sure they did mentioned eyelid agenesis...
What exactly is that? I know she has small eyeballs, and is missing all of her upper eyelid on one eye, and most of the eyelid of the other eye, and so that's why the fur was touching her eye.

Originally Posted by Yosemite

I have to confess to being a bit thick myself - I didn't realize you were just fostering this sweet, beautiful baby. If, for any reason, they do not allow you to adopt her, tell them we will all descend on them and rip them to shreds if that baby doesn't get to be yours.

I must say - judging by those pictures of your hubby and Smudge, they would have ample reason not to let her stay with you - yeah right! LOL
No need to feel a bit thick!!!! We've had so long, and we've considered her "ours" for a long time, I'm sure a lot of people didn't know

She's all ours and officially adopted now

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
awwwwwwww Congratulations Sarah to you and to your hubby and to Smudge, too and her sisters!

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Hehe yeah we're really questionable

Lots of terms were thrown around - but I'm pretty sure they did mentioned eyelid agenesis...
What exactly is that? I know she has small eyeballs, and is missing all of her upper eyelid on one eye, and most of the eyelid of the other eye, and so that's why the fur was touching her eye.
Essentially, it just means that the upper eyelid is either not there at all or is partially developed. Basically, it's painful because their tears don't distribute properly and because their little hairs rub against their eyeballs. Generally, surgery is pretty successful and adopters just have to make sure the eyes don't look irritated or discolored, but generally speaking there is no further treatment after a successful surgery. I've heard vets also call it it coloboma.

We have two wonderful babies at our shelter with it:
Lemonade and her sister Orange Blossom.

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Yeah for Smudge! She's very cute, irregardless of whatever is going on with her eyelids.
Having a new member of the family (or at least making it official) is always so exciting.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I'm so happy that this day has finally come for all of you.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations, I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo glad that Smudge has a forever home.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I too admit that I thought she was yours all along...and now she really is! Congrats to Smudge, and to you and hubby, whom she seems to ADORE! What a happy ending!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I took Smudge in with me when I went to finalise everything, and to show her to the staff there. Two of the ladies were the ones who found her on the front doorstep of the shelter in a box one morning, and even though she was under the minimum weight, they decided they couldn't bear euthanise the sweet little thing.

So I showed them how big and healthy she was now and said thanks, and one of the girls gave Smudge a cuddle, and Smudge looked up at her and rubbed her face against the lady's nose

It was so sweet!!!! So hopefully in the future with kittens that small, they'll continue to give them a chance

kittydad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
wonderful news, and I hope she is happy about that too. I am sure you will be a suitable home for her, as you have had her this long right. but great news, congrats.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mooficat

yay, thats just brill - are you going to have an official 'Gotcha' party
Yeah I'm going to poke more ointment in her eyes

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Yeah I'm going to poke more ointment in her eyes
umm........well I was thinking more in the line of some treats and a couple of party games with cat-nip and Lily & Stumpy but...... hey whatever floats ya boat !