I'm a new daddy !!!!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy Merricks, Tiki Cat, and Artemis. Sometimes Wellness. Other good ones would be probably Felidae, Evangers, Instinct...

This is all sort of my opinion, although I do know that we switched from what's considered a bad canned food, and my kitties stay satisfied for much longer and look better.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am not of the opinion that dry food is at all good for our cats. With the extremely high amounts of grain (especially corn) in most and after having cared for 3 cats over the years who were diabetic and couldn't ingest that much corn, I don't like it at all. I have never in my life seen a cat in the wild walk into a corn field, shuck himself an ear and chow down. I have seen them stalk and kill small mammals - they are carnivores, not herbivores. However, the fact is that dry food ~is~ a very practical and convenient approach for many cat owners and something we like to use for those reasons. If I had my druthers about it, I wouldn't feed it at all.

The generally-accepted way of thinking about dry food was that it would help to dislodge tarter from the teeth. However, this theory fails to recognize that for the most part, cats do not chew their food. Sure, some might crunch a piece of dry food to make it smaller to swallow, but they do not masticate like we do. They normally swallow small pieces of dry food whole. (Ever seen a pile of binge-and-purge cat hurl??) I know that in the Siamese as a breed, gingivitis and other gum issues are rampant in the breed's lines. When you already have a whole breed of cats susceptible to such problems and then you give them a dry pet food with the nutritional content of junk food, those problems are exponentially increased. The dry food leaves a residue on the teeth which provides a very hospitable breeding ground for bacterial growth. That bacteria, if not removed and treated with regular dental cleanings and when necessary, a thorough sub-gingival scraping is linked to causing secondary systemic infections - and they quickly attack the renal system, shutting down the kidneys, leading to a very short life-span.

Be careful with using a lot of dry food in the diet of a pedigreed Siamese cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigerlord

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Orijen proudly advertise their dryfood is 0% Grain ... see www.orijen.com for their products... I was told it's top of the line.

I don't mind feeding wet at all, I always thought it was healthier!

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of the bonus of dry food (which is the main reason I feed some dry in addition to wet) is that you can use it to help keep cats occupied.

I.e you can get treat ball like these: http://www.petdiscounters.com/mc_ima...age/d_1991.jpg and then put the dry food inside and the cat will have to roll the ball around to get the food to fall out.

I have an insanely active cat and have to feed all her dry food through balls like those to help keep her occupied.