I'm a bit depressed...need advice

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nebula

Do you go to a church or anything where you can connect with people? thats a great way to connect with people.. generally
That is what I was thinking. I get together at least twice a month with the ladies from my church. The 1st Saturday of the month for a Bible study and potluck. Every December, we have a ladies luncheon with scrumptious food, fellowship and prizes. The 3rd Friday is Bunco night. We pay $7 a person and there are some nice prizes.

I, too, am childless, and people can be so uncaring and mean. We were not able to have kids and people always would ask why we didn't have kids. The ladies at my church accept me as I am.

But I understand how you feel. I feel slighted sometimes by the other girls in my office. I think it is because I am a lot older than most, but also I do not want to go out drinking and partying. But, then again, I am never invited to any type of party or get together they have.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

I took one suggestion, and searched a meet-up site--it includes many different groups, with different interests. This Saturday, DH & I may be going to a Halloween pub crawl nearby (even though I don't drink--but they are at decent restaurants, some of which I've been to before).

I also joined 3 other groups. Also, DH & I plan to spend Thanksgiving morning at the Salvation Army shelter, serving home-cooked food to the residents. Some of you may remember my posts about not having holidays with my family, and how sad I would get. As I'm not making a big dinner that day (we're actually celebrating Christmas 2 days after that, with DH's family coming down; we did this last year, and I saw no point in cooking a turkey, etc.), this will work out well. It will be good to do something to help someone else who would normally be sad that day, as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
El bumpo!

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand how you feel. We don't have children --- love kids, but it was never a great priority on our part. Living here in Florida we find friends are difficult to find -- at least long time, real friends. People here are so transient that I think they're sometimes afraid to get too close to people. We're at a stage of our lives now (married a LONG time) where are parents are gone, my husband's sister & her husband are gone, my brother is gone --- and it makes your own mortality that much more real. We have nephews who we're not real close to --- but we are close to my nephew's soon-to-be ex-wife and the children. They're kind of like surrogate grandchildren to us -- but we still dont' see them as much as we'd like. I just don't know what the answer is --- but hopefully we'll all find the answer. When we lived in Ft. Lauderdale we had some closer friends but somehow here on the west coast it's just not the same. Oh we love our home, and are adjusting to retirement --- but it would be nice to find some people who we are really compatible with.

Do you think that in this day and age, with all the problems people are having, they'e just afraid to get close to others?

This may sound funny, but I feel closer to some people I've met on-line (cat web site) than people I see every day. And I think a couple of you know just who I'm talking about --- Pam, Carol (Winchester & LaRussa)

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MargeCat

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

I took one suggestion, and searched a meet-up site--it includes many different groups, with different interests. This Saturday, DH & I may be going to a Halloween pub crawl nearby (even though I don't drink--but they are at decent restaurants, some of which I've been to before).

I also joined 3 other groups. Also, DH & I plan to spend Thanksgiving morning at the Salvation Army shelter, serving home-cooked food to the residents. Some of you may remember my posts about not having holidays with my family, and how sad I would get. As I'm not making a big dinner that day (we're actually celebrating Christmas 2 days after that, with DH's family coming down; we did this last year, and I saw no point in cooking a turkey, etc.), this will work out well. It will be good to do something to help someone else who would normally be sad that day, as well.
That sounds really fun! I feel the same way as you, but I'm busy 4-5 nights a week. So I'm constantly doing stuff, but I feel like I don't have any friends or anyone who cares about me.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that you are feeling down sweetie.I have kids but I would never turn away a friend if they didn't have any,those people aren't worth bothering about and would probably not turn out to be true friends anyway.I only really have 2 good friends and I am happy with tha,these 2 friends have been the only ones who have stuck by me and truly been there when I needed them .If you ever need to chat to anyone please pm me,don't get down hun.xx