If You See a Homeless Person Asking For Money To You Give Them Any?

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always give something. It may not be much, but I always give -- because as Pami said, you never know why someone is in this situation. And it's not my place to judge them, anyway.

Sure, there are scammers -- but I'd rather give to a dozen scammers than fail to give to even one person who really needs help. I mean... how could I sleep at night, wondering if that person went hungry?

And as for jobs... well, I myself have been unable to work on any regular basis for a few years now. So there but for grace go I. If not for my parents, I truly don't know what might have happened to me by now. I could easily be one of those people on the street... and if I didn't have a serious mental problem to begin with, I'm sure I would have developed one after living on the street for awhile. And with so little help available for the mentally ill in this country, that's a very hard place to come back from.

I'm an odd person to be quoting the Bible, but... "Whatsoever you do for the least of these, that you do also for me," right? To me, that means that every fellow human on this planet is unconditionally worthy of whatever help I can offer. So I offer it every chance I get.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mezlo

I'm your typical cold-hearted male. The reason I don't give money is because I have yet to see a newspaper with the "Help Wanted" section empty. There is always work to be done somewhere. It may not be fun, easy or clean, but it's there.

Mez
I agree with you. Homeless people are usually homeless because they've made bad choices. Yes there are times when things out of their control happen and one winds up on the street. But there are groups that can help them get back on their feet, and there are places that will hire them if they try hard enough to find them. People who are motivated will find ways to change their life for the better. Those who don't beg for hand outs and take the "easy" way out. So to answer your question, no I do not hand out money to the homeless. I do however donate to reputable charities so that I know my money isn't being wasted.

badninjakitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will give someone assistance, but not money. I will put gas in someone's car or buy them some food. But I usually find that when I offer to do these things the person only wants money--in which case you know that they didn't really want the food or gas that they said they wanted. It is so sad that you can't trust people.

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would personally never give money to a homeless person. It may sound mean, but I just don't trust them to use it for food or somewhere to sleep. One time there was a man outside of mcdonalds when I went once, and he was asked us for a dollar so he could get a cheeseburger. I felt really bad, but I only had big bills, no dollar bills. So when ordering our food, I got him a cheeseburger meal and took it outside to him. It wasn't very much, but he was grateful, and he thanked me several times for putting food in his belly. It made me feel good to kno that he went to bed with a full stomach that night.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mezlo

I'm your typical cold-hearted male. The reason I don't give money is because I have yet to see a newspaper with the "Help Wanted" section empty. There is always work to be done somewhere. It may not be fun, easy or clean, but it's there.

Mez
I have to agree w/ this. And as Natalie said, helping is one thing, but enabling is another...

I'm one of those people who has a big heart, and am always willing to help or give if I can: but unfortunately, my giving nature has been taken advantage of more than once, so I'm not as trusting as I once was.
If I really believe a person is down on their luck and truly needs a helping hand, I'm more than happy to oblige. But if I think someone's being dishonest and is only looking for a free handout w/o having a legitimate reason, I won't do anything to aid them. And unfortunately, the area I live in is full of freeloaders and welfare abusers - so I'm not likely to donate anything to them. I'd much rather donate to an organization or a good cause, where I'd know the money was being spent as it was intended for. I witnessed plenty of charity abuse after Hurricane Rita blew through, and it's highly unlikely that I'd be willing to donate after witnessing what I did. There were too many people sobbing "Oh poor, pitiful me" who received aid after that, and then turned around and abused what they received by spending what they got on frivilous stuff such as new TVs, DVD players, expensive jewelry, etc., instead of using that money on food, clothing, and housing.

So I'm willing to help out if I can, but only if I know for a fact that my donation won't be abused..

~KK~

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I said it depends...

I never give money but I have given them a hamburger or something.

Several years ago, I was walking to Burger King for lunch from my job. I saw a woman and 2 little kids dressed in dirty ragged clothes. I went on and ate lunch and was going to give them some money on my way back.

Well, as I was approaching where they were, I observed them getting into a Cadillac!!!! And not a beat up one! I didn't even have a car then.

And another incident my hubby told me about is a Doctor he used to work with approached a guy with a "Will work for food" He offered him a job that would pay him food and money. The guy refused, saying he made more just standing on the corner begging.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

I'd be broke before I ever got to work. I simply can't give to everyone, so I don't give direct handouts to anyone. It doesn't make me feel good, but here you get approached so often, and wherever you go.
I would probably feel differently if I lived somewhere where it was more of a rarity, but here it's nearly daily, and if you're out and about, it's several times in a day.
I'm fortunate that I don't work in the downtown core, so I don't get approached all that often, but that is certainly the way of it downtown. And those who are there every day (like DH before his office moved to the suburbs) come to recognize the regulars, who are there for the handout, often with a different hard luck story every day, but aren't interested when you offer to take them to the Golden Arch Supper Club for food.

And then there was the young woman with the down-in-the-mouth expression, and the battered cap receiving donations -- and the hairdo that couldn't have been more than a day old or cost less than $75 -- talk about a cognitive dissonance...

We give generously to charities that do have homeless people as part of their mandate, so while I often feel bad saying no to an individual street person -- because you really don't know for sure how they came to be there or whether their claim is legit or not -- I remind myself that they do have options that I am contributing to.

ryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Last summer I saw my first beggars ever here. It's really a weird thing: poor people, whole families with infants from countries like Romania are suddenly coming to Nordic countries for a few months period to beg. People here are not used to beggars and won't usually give them any money, since they trust anyone in real distress can always get help from the social services. These people can't possibly cover even their travelling costs with what they earn.

I personally don't give them money, because I think they are somehow cheated here with false promises by someone and I don't want to encourage this kind of activity. Also, many of them are professional thieves, others picking your pockets while one occupies your attention.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have in the past. Am so broke now I have nothing to give. Here in Portland, we have an awesome place called Sisters of the Road Cafe. People can buy "meal tickets" for $2 each and hand those out to street people. The street people can then go to the cafe and have a healthy, hot meal. http://www.sistersoftheroadcafe.org/

Portland has a large homeless population. Those we see are not all there is. I have been homeless as a child and as an adult. As an adult, I've been lucky to have family. It isn't fun, it isn't an adventure, it isn't something a sane person knowingly chooses. There are programs, yes. There are shelters, of course. But the need ALWAYS exceeds the resources. Shelters always have to turn people away on the coldest nights of the year plus shelters have their own dangers.

When I had a bit of money, I would buy a cup of hot chocolate or a couple of burgers if they looked hungry or cold. Or a can of dog food if the person had a dog with them. The street kids are especially a soft spot with me, the girls in particular. I cannot think of a less safe place for a young girl to be than on the streets. I know it is unsafe for the boys, too - the girls just get to me more.

When you live around it, you learn to discern the scammers and liars from the real thing.

So many of us are just one paycheck away from homelessness. There are many more poor people than rich people. If we learn more about it, we can learn of ways to minimize it.

So, my answer is sometimes, depending

karicassie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my girls dad and I were homeless for the first few months that I was pregnant with my oldest daughter and a lot of people did give us a few bucks here and there for a place to stay and food, one couple even bought us a bag of grocerys, I have never forgoten that so yes if I see someone I can tell needs the help and I have a few bucks I will give it to them.

kittee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can afford it but I do not give money to homeless on the street. I've been known to buy food and hand it to them as I walk/drive by but never money. Here in NC it's especially hard to go anywhere without someone asking for money. Very odd, I would have never thought the problem would be so prevalent here. Every stoplight has its "resident" homeless person. They all wear orange safety vests and the same people with the same signs are out there every day.

One day I was going into a grocery store and there was a homeless man outside asking for money for food. So instead of money I came out and gave him a few cans of soup. He said "What's this for? I wanted money."

Then there have been a few times I've tossed a hamburger or what not to a homeless guy and been thanked. Either way... money = no. Food, clothing = Yes.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to but not anymore, like someone posted above, back when I was a teenager, my dad offered someone a job, they said they were happier on the street and made more than he would pay them - if they can make more than I do working they don't need my help.

That being said there was an older man who used to sleep outside the train station back home when I commuted from university for work and I always used to get him a coffee to help him stay warm. One day while I was waiting for my mum to pick me up he told me he was finally getting his life sorted any my mum gave him some of my dad's clothes for an interview, he got the job and waited on those steps to try to give me back some money for all those coffees.

So I would buy them a meal / hot drink / can of dog food etc but not give them any money, if they are really in need they will be greatful of the help instead of just wanting the cash IMO

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only once I have seen someone begging for money. And it was near a Walmart. My husband was with me and we took the man in Walmart and bought him some items he needed. I will not give money but I will help. If I was alone I would probably not do anything, I would not feel safe.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was homeless with my daughter for close to a year back in 1986 and I answered NO to handing money to a homeless person.

There are plenty of resources for the homeless to seek assistance through for food, clothing and shelter and to get off the streets.

If they are panhandling, then they are strictly looking for money to support a habit, plain and simple.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I generally don't give money anymore. I know someone who is a social worker who works with the homeless, and she explained to me once that giving money to panhandlers frequently does more harm than good. They are usually looking for money to support a habit, and giving them money just serves to enable them. She explained that I'm better off giving to a trustworthy organization who helps people who want it, so that's what I do now.

I will give food, or offer to buy someone food if they look like they need it. But frequently they'll refuse it. Several years ago a company I was working for went out of business. We had stacks of McDonald's gift certificates leftover from an old promotion, and I ended up with them. I decided that it would be a good thing to give them out to the homeless, so I took a trip downtown to hand them out. A lot of them refused them...they didn't want food certificates, they wanted money.

Sometimes I will see somebody who looks like they're honest (and not panhandling) and could use a hand, and I will give them money...sometimes without being asked. I also always buy the homeless newspaper from the people selling it.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I have a couple of dollars to spare, I will give it to someone, especially elderly or a veteran. A few years ago I ran across a oler couple with their kitties in the car who had run out of gas money about 100 miles short from home and had a "will work for gas money" sign in their car window, (a beat up out station wagon) trying to shield their kitties and not let them get away from fright. We went into Wal-Mart, bought some drinks, cat food and sandwiches. I made the girl I was riding with stop so I could give it to them, as well as a little money. We were doing pretty well then, and was able to help a little. They really did not want to take it without doing some work for it, but at the time, I had nothing for them to do. The girl I was with called me stupid, but I just felt that sometimes we must remember how blessed we really are. Even some of the poorest Americans are better off than in some places. These people had been to see the birth of their first grandchild, and would have done anything to get there, no matter how tough it was to get back.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catkiki

I said it depends...

I never give money but I have given them a hamburger or something.

Several years ago, I was walking to Burger King for lunch from my job. I saw a woman and 2 little kids dressed in dirty ragged clothes. I went on and ate lunch and was going to give them some money on my way back.

Well, as I was approaching where they were, I observed them getting into a Cadillac!!!! And not a beat up one! I didn't even have a car then.

And another incident my hubby told me about is a Doctor he used to work with approached a guy with a "Will work for food" He offered him a job that would pay him food and money. The guy refused, saying he made more just standing on the corner begging.
People standing on corners begging for money apparently make good money. I once saw a guy standing on a corner with a sign asking for money for food, and behind him parked in the bushes was a newer (probably only a year or two old) Expedition. This guy obviously wasn't really poor, he was just using people for free money.

roxie225

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I said No.

I live in New York.. not the city but close enough. Where I work (by a train station) there are dozens of homeless people who I see everyday begging for money for a train ticket. They just go in the deli and buy booze!! Plus, in NYC there are homeless everywhere. It's sad but there are programs for these people to get back on their feet. Some just choose not to because like someone said earlier, they are making more money begging or they are just supporting a habit.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I was homeless with my daughter for close to a year back in 1986 and I answered NO to handing money to a homeless person.

There are plenty of resources for the homeless to seek assistance through for food, clothing and shelter and to get off the streets.

If they are panhandling, then they are strictly looking for money to support a habit, plain and simple.
i also said no... not because i know they're planning to buy drugs, booze, cigs, whatever, but because i can't be certain.
one of my friends bought a bag of groceries, including milk, for a mother requesting $ for food [she had her children alongside]. the mother didn't want the food...