If you scoop daily.....

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats house, we just pay the mortgage..
I scoop everytime someone does a poop (3 or 4 times a day) because although theres no odour from the litter, fresh poop stinks our house out.
We usually change the whole litter and scrub the box once it turns from white to grey. Usually every 3 days or so. I did it Tuesday morning and it needs doing tonight when I get in. I wouldnt walk about in my own stuff so I dont expect them to either. Sleeves will also cry his little head off if he needs to poop and the litter is too dirty.

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one cat that doesnt care about the dirtyness of his box, and one cat that WILL NOT go in the litterbox if there is a hint of poop in it.

So...I scoop once a day(all 3 litter boxes) and change and clean completly every week or so.

Works great, it took me a long time to figure out how I was going to deal with my "pretty kittys" preferences, but I have it under control now, and no more smelly days for me!

I use Tidy cats "small spaces" because I live in a small place and that seems to work great!!!

sbw999

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just started using Super Scoop today, a product by Arm & Hammer that clumps, low dust, low odor. So far it is great. I plan on scooping daily and changing once weekly which is what I did before.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
How often you completely change the litter very much depends on the litter itself. A non-clumping litter has to be changed at least once a week. A coarse clumping litter probably should be changed every 1 or 2 weeks, while a very fine clumping litter may be good for 2 to 4 weeks.
I tried the crystal litter (both the irregularly shaped and the round), and Jamie hated both. He not only scratched all of it out of his box, but down the hall and the steps, which must have taken hours.

snowis mum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi i change my litter every 2-3 days i feel its mells after that i use srt of grain litter iv also tried wood litter but didnt make a diffrnce and the crystals where very expensice for a little bag i got 2 uses from

fluffysimba

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I basically scoop every time there is poo. My kitties poop once a day so and I clean pretty much right after they'd done their job. I use wood stove pellets for my litter and LOVE it! You don't get the icky smell or the icky crap with other clay litters. I've tired various litters and the wood stove is the best. The pee just dissolves the pellets and you simply scoop out the good pellets and toss the dissolved pellets outside as mulch b/c it's made with trees!

I am using world's best as I got a free sample but it doesn't mask smells...and I'm slowly switching that over to Nature's Miracle that also has a pine smell. My male Persian doesn't care for the wood stove pellets all the time so I had to add another box and litter for just him.

I hope I made sense...I'm really distracted and having a hard time focusing today. *sigh*

shambelle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have two cats, and two boxes. They are covered (because PJ has peeing over the side issues), and they are gigantic. We also use LOTS of litter, and probably change out the pan itself every month, and scrub out the tops since sometimes PJ's pee will end up on the back.

They don't seem to care at all about any type of smell in the box (it doesn't really smell, we mix baking soda with the fine tidy cats litter); it's if there's stuff in there, Teddy gets annoyed. Usually he'll wait until right after I scoop it clean to go do his thing. We scoop 3-4 times a day, however many times it needs it. Whenever there's something in there, unless it's freshly put there, we scoop it. Nothing sits in the box for long if we're home.