if you saw a coyote

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
[font= "Comic Sans MS"] I live waaaaaaaaay out and we have lots of coyotes. If we see them too close to our cattle or the horses or headquarters, we of course have to... well... get rid of them. (Really praying no PETA people are on here, prolly shouldn't be saying this.) But it's really the humane thing to do, especially since if we let them get too close they start killing off our foals, calves, and cats. If you are in a rural enough area and on private property, you legally can "get rid of the coyote", if you are a good enough shot. It's what we do; it's fast, easy, painless, and puts the poor animal out of it's misery. But StarryEyedTiger's post was good; they legally cannot refuse this. It's literally abuse to let this coyote continue to suffer. Good luck with it![/font]

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
call your local wildlife rescue/agency again- by law- they HAVE to do something.
Sorry Nikki, but NO they do not have to.
If you live out in the boonies, they don't have to do anything.If they chose not to do anything, there is nothing you can say/do about it.It is at THEIR descretion as to what they HAVE to do.
And as for treating it, they won't go to that extreme either.Why spend that much money on an animal that is already in that condition?---THIER words NOT mine. They have more important things to worry about spending money on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well since this thread made it back up, this is what happen

it was to late, when i got home from work this morning, it was laying behind the house, still alive, but with birds trying to eat him.

i thought it was best to take care of the issue,
that sounded better then letting him being pecked to death. then i used a shovel to pick him up, wrapped in plastice and a old blanket, and buried him. it seemed the best course of action i could think of.

i just am not fan of killing something that is not going to be for dinner(if that makes sense) that's why i call parks and wild life people , who said they could do nothing.

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AmberThe Bobcat

Actually, this is a illegal, unless you have a license from the state to trap and rehabilitate wildlife. Bruse, did you call the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, Division of Wildlife? I believe you live in district 3. What county is that? I have the phone numbers for each district wildlife office throughout the state if you want it. They may help you, but they may just tell you to let it be
[font= "Comic Sans MS"]Trapping is indeed illegal unless you have the proper license to do so. Also, you cannot catch a coyote in a "live trap". Coyotes are very smart and it takes a skilled trapper to lure them even into a foot trap, as clever as they are; a live trap is much too obvious and in the case of a foot trap, you would have to have a license to trap, a tranqualizer gun with a license for that (if you intend to rehabilitate the animal after curing it of its medical issues, if not, just a regular .22 works), the legal rights to shoot the coyote on the property, etc, etc. And even if you did get the coyote to the vets; it would be extremely stressful for the coyote, considering the amount of sedatives, antibiotics, and tranqualizers they would give the coyote; it's probably never had anything artificial like man-made medicine. I truly think putting it out of it's misery is the best ordeal. But that's the end of my say I guess, this could easily turn into a heated argument...[/font]

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I were you, I would go and buy some lime to put in the area that he was laying in.Ask what kind of chemical you can use to kill off the mange bacteria, so that none of the other animals will come into contact with it.

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

Sorry Nikki, but NO they do not have to.
If you live out in the boonies, they don't have to do anything.If they chose not to do anything, there is nothing you can say/do about it.It is at THEIR descretion as to what they HAVE to do.
And as for treating it, they won't go to that extreme either.Why spend that much money on an animal that is already in that condition?---THIER words NOT mine. They have more important things to worry about spending money on.
[font= "Comic Sans MS"] Just had to add: if you live on private property they can refuse to come out. If it is public land, they legally must come out and take care of the situation.[/font]

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right.I guess I should have made that more clear in my post.

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
[font= "Comic sans MS"]TheImp: am very glad you were able to take care of the situation. You did the right thing; it's just a shame the poor thing had to suffer so. Am proud of ya! :hug: And crittermom: it seems to me that if you attempted to dispose of the mange by applying chemical only to the area that the coyote laid during it's last hour, it would be fairly useless. The coyote has been all over and just disposing of one area assures nothing at all, really. If your animals are treated for pests, it should be fine.
[/font]

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KuntryKitty

[font= "Comic Sans MS"] (Really praying no PETA people are on here, prolly shouldn't be saying this.)[/font]
Who cares what PETA thinks, they don't care about animals

But, back to the topic
Every state is different with their laws and shooting wildlife, when out of season, can be illegal. But as you stated, if you have enough land, who would know if you did shoot it? But, you also have to make sure you are a good shot and kill it, instead of injuring it and have the animal run away with a gun shot wound.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AmberThe Bobcat

Actually, this is a illegal, unless you have a license from the state to trap and rehabilitate wildlife. Bruse, did you call the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, Division of Wildlife? I believe you live in district 3. What county is that? I have the phone numbers for each district wildlife office throughout the state if you want it. They may help you, but they may just tell you to let it be
Good to know see here that is what the wildlife dept told me to do

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

...it was to late, when i got home from work this morning, it was laying behind the house, still alive, but with birds trying to eat him.

i thought it was best to take care of the issue,
that sounded better then letting him being pecked to death. then i used a shovel to pick him up, wrapped in plastice and a old blanket, and buried him. it seemed the best course of action i could think of...
I wish you wouldn't have had to do this, it had to be tough, but you did the right thing. RIP, coyote.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bruce,

I think that you did the only humane thing. At the point where the coyote was in his life, I am sure you were a blessing to him and you treated him with dignity and respect.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by adymarie

Bruce,

I think that you did the only humane thing. At the point where the coyote was in his life, I am sure you were a blessing to him and you treated him with dignity and respect.
I absolutely agree. Hard though it must have been, I'm glad you had the guts to put it out of its misery, rather than putting it out of your mind and letting it die a slow and horrible death.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You truly did do the right thing. The poor baby was suffering and you helped him to pass quickly. Bless you for taking care of him like you did.

RIP coyote. Run free at the rainbow bridge.