If You Love Cats

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Then steer clear of a new movie out with Denzel Washington- The Book Of Eli that shows a beautiful Sphynx kitty becoming his dinner in a post-nuclear world setting. Later, in another scene, he meets another beauty- this one a big Maine Coon mix who instantly takes a dislike to him (gee wonder why?) and he sweeps it off the bar where he has stopped to get some water quite violently. Irony is rampant in this film. Denzel shares a bit of cat meat with a mouse that comes to visit, and the movie has a Biblical theme, along with a lot of violence and gore.

I do not understand why writers in hollywood have to continually putting out scripts where cats are victims of human abusers. I have a hot tip for them- cats already ARE victims, so why reinforce this fact? I don't know the last time I watched a movie where a dog was abused- it seems to always be cats. Yes, I know that it is "Hollywood" make-believe- but in real life, I ALREADY see this daily in my reality. I go to the movies to escape. I can just imagine some idiot that already holds hatred for cats, leaving this film thinking that the next stray cat he sees outside his window is going to get an arrow straight to the heart.

Please, I beg you, do not see this movie nor rent it from anywhere else.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had the unfortunate chance of seeing this movie in the theatre before knowing what it was even about. Not only did I want to walk out right at the beginning because of that one scene, but the rest of the movie was just as bad! It was horrible! Probably one of the worst movies I have ever scene. I didn't enjoy the storyline AT ALL. The only thing I slightly enjoyed were the pretty bloody fight scenes.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the heads up, MA. I'd probably lose my dinner on the person in front of me. Sounds like the movie wouldn't be my cup of tea anyway, but now I don't need to find that out the hard way. I'm sorry you had to see it.

ETA: Rob thanks you too.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the heads up MA - I had wondered about that movie but I am not keen on post-apocalyptic movies so decided against going to see it. I am glad that there is even more reason not to see it!

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I looked up the directors and writer on Wikipedia. Ugghhh. I hope karma gets those who approved those scenes. The three (a British writer and twin brothers doing the directing, Americans) do not "seem" like cat-fans, in my opinion.

Thank you for the warning. Just a side note but I don't remember ever loving any movie with DW in it. And looking at the list of previous works by the directors (who I'd never heard of before), I doubt they're folks I'd want to spend even 10 minutes with (all their previous works seem very very dark).

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I usually like the movies he stars in. But I won't go see this one. Thanks for the heads up.

vampcow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
thanks for the heads up so I wont see the movie. Any movie that hurts a cat really bugs me. In a simliar vien skip the movie untraceable.

It opens with a guy putting down a cat carrier and opening it and this REALLY cute kitten comes out to drink some milk that was set before it and it had to walk across this sticky tape to get to it and it got stuck and so the cat starved to death on this video tape....It was so bad and in the first ten minutes of the movie I couldn't stop crying. Later on in the film when they discover the dead kitten my sister literally flew across the room to put her hands over my eyes saying...don't worry I won't let you look until the part with the kitten it over...(she gets the same way in movies that hurt dogs...like I am Legend)

Just warning everyone even thought it is an older movie.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, it always seems to be cats/kittens that are on the receiving end of horrible treatment. It's almost as if people say "hey, it's just a cat". If dogs were mistreated in movies the way cats are, people would be outraged. I simply don't understand it.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't do animal movies. Period. So a movie like this; well I'd probably loose it and my husband would have to carry me out of the theater. I don't understand why they think that is entertainment!! I'm upset just reading your post!!

python

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by c1atsite

I looked up the directors and writer on Wikipedia. Ugghhh. I hope karma gets those who approved those scenes. The three (a British writer and twin brothers doing the directing, Americans) do not "seem" like cat-fans, in my opinion.

Thank you for the warning. Just a side note but I don't remember ever loving any movie with DW in it. And looking at the list of previous works by the directors (who I'd never heard of before), I doubt they're folks I'd want to spend even 10 minutes with (all their previous works seem very very dark).
Sadly, in the UK now everything seems to be turned on it's head - i.e. violent criminals don't even get sent to prison anymore. They just get put back in the community to reoffend with terrible consequences for their victims.

Decent people are heavily fined and given criminal records for putting the wrong garbage in the wrong garbage bag - even old people don't escape so reading your post that this disgusting film (thanks for the heads up - one I definitely won't be watching) doesn't really surprise me.

We have become a degenerate, depraved country

I don't recognise my country anymore and it's so sad to have witnessed it's decline. I really wish I had the means to move to another country where the people are decent and take all my cats, dogs and snakes with me.

Another film I absolutely refuse to watch, and if it comes on the television I switch off is "Snakes on a Plane". I love snakes - I have 19 of them and the snakes used for that film are mostly harmless Cornsnakes, Kingsnakes etc.

I wonder how many of these beautiful animals have died because of stupid films like that - and now this one.

I really wonder what goes on in the corrupt minds of these "writers" and "film directors".

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, thank you!!, for the heads up. I just saw some previews, I like D.W., but absolutely would NOT want to put that image in my head to haunt me!

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I LOVED this movie. I went in thinking it would suck and came out of it with my boyfriend and I talking about how awesome it was!

I had a friend warn me so what we did was go a bit late, the boyfriend went in the theater, I went to get refreshments and he texted me when the cat thing was done. It was really just a 30 second scene as far as I know where some guy needs food so he hunts a cat.

This was a great movie though, kind of movie where it ends and youâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]re like “what the heck! Thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s insane!â€. Good thing I have a great boyfriend who tends to my sensitivity to animals.

The only issue I had with this movie (since I did not see the cat thing) was the brutal rape scenes, there were like 3. They were overly brutal, I understand itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s the end of the world and its brutal… but we donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t need to see it more then once.

dave_ph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Too late. I saw it On-Demand last night. That first scene was disturbing and following it up with the cat in the bar scene made me wonder about the writers.

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dave_PH

Too late. I saw it On-Demand last night. That first scene was disturbing and following it up with the cat in the bar scene made me wonder about the writers.
Hi everyone. I found the below

For "The Book of Eli"
Rating from ahafilm.info - "Monitored: Outstanding" (Meaning the way the crew treated animals during filming. Details below. For definition of this rating, click here)

For details page, click here http://www.ahafilm.info/movies/mr.phtml?fid=8102

I could not find anything on the site for "Untraceable", and its director Gregory Hoblit is only listed under another movie "Hart's War" http://www.ahafilm.info/movies/mr.phtml?fid=7379