If you live in the U.S.--Cat State or Dog State?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I wouldn't consider this a cat state either. I wonder how they counted---were farm cats included? I guess I can see the raw cat numbers being higher, but not pet numbers, and dogs are definitely valued more and treated better.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
My family is spread out - but everybody except one niece lives in a "cat state"; for the most part they have both cats and dogs. Our niece in New Mexico also has both.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
These stats are based, I think on veterinary visits and I would guess there is a large population of pets that don’t get regular vet visits which could change these numbers greatly

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I don't think it was meant to be that serious or scientific. If you click the link, there are also 'stats' on which states say 'soda' vs. 'pop' and what is each state's favorite ice cream flavor, etc. :)

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm guessing cats are popular in Minnesota because people don't want to walk dogs in the winter? hahaha, I'm getting that vibe from the clear north/south divide!
I would also say that while I know probably just as many people with dogs as with cats, a lot of those people have multiple cats whereas they only have one dog.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
It's a tie state for me which is probably good since we have shared our home with both dogs and cats. 🐶🐱

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Looks like Oregon is a cat state. I’m doing my part with three. :) Even though the place I live allows only two...shhhhhhh.

Last edited: