If you like riddles...

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
,,,,here`s one for ya that I heard from one of the Liberian guys when we lived there YEARS ago....
You have 3 married couples, one canoe, and a river to be crossed.
3 people at a time can ride in the canoe.....but...there is a "law in the land" which says that no married woman can be in the presence of another man, unless she is with her husband. (Feminists , please don`t get your hair all riled up about this ...it`s just part of the riddle, OK?)
So how are you going to get everyone "legally" across the river?
Hint: If you need help to figure it out you can use 3 sets of Queens and Kings from a deck of cards and draw an imaginary line on the table to represent the river...just remeber....no woman can be in the canoe OR on either side of the river with another man, unless her husband is with her.
(You can also do this with 3 live couples in your living room too, and actually make the people exchanges across the imaginary river...that`s a lot of fun, cause you`ll get tons of reactions by one or another blurting out "Oh no! You can `t do that cause so and so can`t be left here without her husband."
Anyone else have a good riddle?
Linda
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d153/stampit3d/tedyandtobysig.jpg

alaynna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stampit3d

,,,,here`s one for ya that I heard from one of the Liberian guys when we lived there YEARS ago....
You have 3 married couples, one canoe, and a river to be crossed.
3 people at a time can ride in the canoe.....but...there is a "law in the land" which says that no married woman can be in the presence of another man, unless she is with her husband. (Feminists , please don`t get your hair all riled up about this ...it`s just part of the riddle, OK?)
So how are you going to get everyone "legally" across the river?
Hint: If you need help to figure it out you can use 3 sets of Queens and Kings from a deck of cards and draw an imaginary line on the table to represent the river...just remeber....no woman can be in the canoe OR on either side of the river with another man, unless her husband is with her.
(You can also do this with 3 live couples in your living room too, and actually make the people exchanges across the imaginary river...that`s a lot of fun, cause you`ll get tons of reactions by one or another blurting out "Oh no! You can `t do that cause so and so can`t be left here without her husband."
Anyone else have a good riddle?
Linda
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d153/stampit3d/tedyandtobysig.jpg
I might have the answer:

to better explain it below is the legend on who is who:

1-1st male
2-1st woman

3-2nd male
4-2nd woman

5-3rd male
6-3rd woman

All the women 2,4, and 6 go over in the conue.....then 2 goes back over and gets her husband 1 and also 3......when they go over the 3rd woman 6 goes back and gets her husband 5.....now they should all be over on one side...i dont know if i make sense though

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Makes sense to me! i did it different and they had to take a lot more trips!!

Man 1
woman 1

man 2
woman 2

man 3
woman 3

All men cross river
man 1 goes for his wife and returns

man 2 goes for his wife and returns

man 3 goes for his wife and returns

they are all across the river!!

alaynna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

Man 1
woman 1

man 2
woman 2

man 3
woman 3

All men cross river

That works too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

So what is the answer? i think i have it!
Post your answer and I`ll check it out.
I`m sure there may be more than one way.
Gonna check out these other reply posts and see if they are right or not.
Linda

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Alaynna

I might have the answer:

to better explain it below is the legend on who is who:

1-1st male
2-1st woman

3-2nd male
4-2nd woman

5-3rd male
6-3rd woman

All the women 2,4, and 6 go over in the conue.....then 2 goes back over and gets her husband 1 and also 3......when they go over the 3rd woman 6 goes back and gets her husband 5.....now they should all be over on one side...i dont know if i make sense though
When #s1m,2w & 3m get back to the other side of the river, then #6w is in the presence of 2 men (#s 1 & 3)that are not her husband.
Don`t give up!!!

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Man 1
woman 1

man 2
woman 2

man 3
woman 3

All men cross river

When 1 of them men comes back to get his wife, then the other 2 women are in his presence without thier husbands. (I hope the penalty for breaking this law is not the death penality!) :-)
Please keep trying!
Linda

emmysamson

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay, I think I got it.

All 3 women go over, one comes back and brings her own husband and the husband of another, then the woman who's husband is still on the other side goes over and picks up her own husband.

like this:
wife 1 husband 4
wife 2 husband 5
wife 3 husband 6

all three women go, wife 1 comes back, bringing 4 and 5, wife 3 then goes over and gets husband 6.

Am I right?

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think i got it

woman 1 and man 1 go across

man 1 comes back for man 2 and woman 2 and goes across

woman one gets back in the boat and goes to get woman 3 and man 4 and leave woman 1

man one goes back to pick up woman 1!

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emmysamson

Okay, I think I got it.

All 3 women go over, one comes back and brings her own husband and the husband of another, then the woman who's husband is still on the other side goes over and picks up her own husband.

like this:
wife 1 husband 4
wife 2 husband 5
wife 3 husband 6

all three women go, wife 1 comes back, bringing 4 and 5, wife 3 then goes over and gets husband 6.

Am I right?
The 3 women would be OK going over together...and the one coming back would be legal with the other 2 guys, cause her husband would also be there...but the minute she , her hubby and the extra guy get to the other side, one of those women (who`s hubby is still on the other side) is illegal.
Keep working on it...you can get it!
Linda

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think i got it

woman 1 and man 1 go across

man 1 comes back for man 2 and woman 2 and goes across

woman one gets back in the boat and goes to get woman 3 and man 4 and leave woman 1

man one goes back to pick up woman 1!
The man and woman going across and the man coming back is OK...but the minute the 2 men and 1 woman leave it leaves 1 man with 2 women on the first shore....and that man is only a husband to one of the women.
(They say these riddles are good for our brains.....but I`m not always sure...sometimes it feels like they`ll wear mine out!)
Linda

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do ya`ll give up? ..You`re gonna be mad at yourself if you do....and I won`t post the answer yet, in case some of you still want to play...but if you are getting bored and want the answer you can PM me and I`ll tell you.
Linda

alaynna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stampit3d

Do ya`ll give up? ..You`re gonna be mad at yourself if you do....and I won`t post the answer yet, in case some of you still want to play...but if you are getting bored and want the answer you can PM me and I`ll tell you.
Linda
Is it an answer like: the 3 women go over in the boat and just leave the men on the other side, since they dont like the law the town has.....

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Alaynna

Is it an answer like: the 3 women go over in the boat and just leave the men on the other side, since they dont like the law the town has.....
Now that`s something I had`nt thought about....but maybe they would consider that if the penality is stiff enough!
Linda

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So shall I post the answer(s) yet? Do ya`ll give up????
Linda

hadley's mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ok the three woman go accross in the canoe one woman goes back gets 2 men husbands of the 1 woman on other side as well as hers 3rd woman gose across gets her husband? is that right

emmysamson

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is it something like, all the women (or men) discuss it till the river dries up and they just walk across? Or the men lay down so the women can just walk over them, as us women sometimes do?