If you had cats as a child, how were your cats taken care of?

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
Like many others have posted, my cats growing up as a child in the 70's were strictly outdoor cats for mice control.  We only got boy kittens from people who had free kittens to give away.  I lived on a main road, so every so often one would succumb to the perils of the traffic.  They never got cat food of any sort, only scraps of our dinners and whatever they hunted and ate.  We would put boxes on the covered back porch, and an old doghouse, and they either stayed there out of the cold or would go to the barn. I never remember us having dry or wet cat food.  Amazingly, several lived to be in their teens.  What a difference from how my cats are treated now!  Our pet dogs also never had dog food, unless they were sick, then they "might" get a can of the old Twin Pet wet food.  I still see that in the dollar stores here.  I can still remember the smell of it.  My dad's hunting dogs did get dog food, but it was either Purina dog chow or whatever he got at the feed store, Diamond, or something like that.  Such a huge difference between my childhood and now!

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cats got no attention whatsoever. The most awful thing was that my father drowned newborn kittens in a pail while his kids looked on. Ugh! I've often wondered why the heck they didn't get the cats fixed.