If You Ever Had to Leave Your Cat overnight at the vet's

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have that problem with my normal vet, they dont stay on site overnight, and I did have a go when Pebbles had her leg amputated. The emergency vet is staffed 24 hours a day, so much happier wehn they go there.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In April I had to leave Chynna at the vet's office for 2 nights. 24 hours pre surgery for hydration prior to her surgery, and 24 hours post so she could have more hydration and pain control.

I was really worried, but they told me that I could call them anytime for updates, and even though I did call a few times, their office manager and techs called me in between to let me know that she was doing well and eating a little, and loving up on everyone.

They were really good with her. I would have no problem leaving another pet with them overnight.

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

Most times when I have left a cat at the vet's it has been OK. But one tip I would give from a horrific experience that I still feel guilty about. When my Napoleon was rushed into the vet from poisoning, I left him there for monitoring and meds. At 7PM that evening I visited him and he was still alive and holding his own. At 8 AM the next morning when I went in he had died during the night. Only then did I discover that he had not been looked at between midnight and 7 AM as there was no one actually there overnight. It had never occurred to me that there would not be an assistant on duty. So he died alone, in a strange place and in pain. Always ask who will be looking after your cat during the night and how often it will be checked. Needless to say, I do not use that vet any more.
Yikes! That's awful. When I've had to leave my cats there was nobody between 10pm and 6am and it really upset me, but they had to be on IV and I had no choice, all be it their situations were not as life threatening or they would have been at emerg. I can't believe they didn't tell you nobody would be there!