If you could choose your time to live, which century/era would you choose?

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

If I could put some conditions on it...

I would love to live in the Antebellum South as a wealthy lady married to a kind man (who may have slaves because it's the only way to run a plantation, but still treats them fairly as human beings). Like Susan said for her reason, I love the dresses of that era! And just the whole romanticism of the whole era. Love it!

http://www.vintagefashionlibrary.com/antebellum_1850s
I'd have to do something similar to Heidi and put major conditions on my preferred time/era. In fact, I think I'd just go the whole hog and make up my own composite era

Modern conveniences, with my choice of all the music we've built up to date, but the fashions and more gentile times of the 40s and 50s, but no war of course. I'm sure you get the idea.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm another that enjoys the modern conveniences too much to go back to another time.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

Right now is good with me, I need modern conveniences

My sentiments exactly!
I don't even like "roughing it" - like when you go camping!
My idea of roughing it would be having to go a day w/o electricity..

enuja

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love my computer and the amazing abundance of good food, but I'm with a few others: I wouldn't want to live in any past time because of the way women were treated. I like being considered a full and equal human being, thank you.

catslave101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would have loved to be born in the victorian era for the dresses. or even been around in the fifties for the poodle skirts

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This time period for me.

I like vaccines, life expectancy above 35, having the right to vote, knowing my relatives of color have that right as well. I enjoy owing property and not having to answer to any males (unless I want to).

I really appreciate flushing toilets. Emptying those chamber pots had to be soooo much fun! YECK.

I love that the low infant mortality rate has given me godchildren and nieces and nephews

If I have surgery, I'll truly appreciate sanitary conditions there

I cannot think of a single good reason to go back.

I like being alive now - in this time. We have seen some amazing things. Hope I am around for so many more

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I had it my way, I would live in this era, right now, and would time travel
That would be awesome... I think every era is perfect to their people - IMO, there is no way to judge the past or the future without being from that era. Can you imagine people from the 1400's dropping in NYC, or even having the world today described to them?

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know about living a whole life in another era, but visiting as a guest would be cool!

In that case, I'd like to visit early 1900's Paso Robles, CA.

To live? Around the time of WW II into the early 60's.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ancient Rome, in the waning days of the late republic. Perhaps as a centurion in the service of Gaius Julius Caesar.

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would go back to a time when being fat was attractive because only poor people starved instead of starving yourself on purpose. I would be quite popular.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TabbyCalicoGurl

Now.I am happy in my own time and really like have a computer,working bathroom,t.v.,ect...
yup, with TCS, modern feminine products, over-the-counter Neosporin, Ibuprofen; organic produce..my sentiments exactly.
Of course, our 2nd house, the fixer-upper is very close to roughing it. At times, the plumbing doesn't work, so the "loo" is a hole dug behind the woodpile - scary to visit at night, esp. with a mountain lion who lives in the area (I rig up a 5-gal bucket 1/2 full with clumping cat litter - works great
). And in the winter, the elec. goes out, so the water is fetched from the artesian pipe, boiled on the woodburner, cooking is done on the woodburner (the sole sourse of heat, except for the fireplace & kitties on the bed
).
I have lived near a mine camp outside of the Yosemite wilderness, when my kids were tiny, so know something of the pioneer life. (cooked on a campfire, on a large granite slab, using cast iron; my toilet was "privacy bushes" & catholes). We were too poor to afford Gortex so the winter was cold
. However, it was fun and nowhere's near as stressful and annoying as city living

I miss the good manners & respect of the 50s & 60s, but am glad that nowadays women, children & animals have their rights recognized

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are a lot of things/places I would love to see if I could travel back in time. The Colliseum in Rome, the Temple of Zeus at Olympia, the Colossus of Rhodes, the ancient city of Babylon during the reign of Nebuchadnezzar II. At the top of that list would be being able to speak and read a number of languages while reading the wealth of the knowledge that has since been lost with the destruction of the Library of Alexandria. The ancient people were far more advanced than most realize.

norachelhere

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would LOVE to be nobility back in the 1800's.... but only on the condition that time travel would somehow also cure my Lupus, because if not, I would die

which would really suck....

I am so thankful for modern medicine, but those dresses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sandra

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would looove to live either in the 23rd century or back in the bibical days like the old testement times and maybe some new testement too... So I could be one of Jesus's disciples