If You Could Choose Your Own Name...

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hated my name when I was growing up. Adrien was mangled in soooo many different ways! I liked the name Elizabeth.

Now I like it fine, along with my last name.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hated my first name (Hope) growing up, mainly because I couldn't find anything like key chains or mugs with my name on it unless it was special ordered. Unless it was Christmas time. I have a TON of Christmas ornaments with Hope on them (and faith and charity). In second grade I tried to start going by my middle name, Marie, but it didn't work because the teachers couldn't figure out who Marie was. Oh well.

Now, I love my name but if I had to change it I would become Danielle. For some reason I have always loved that name since 8th grade french class. I also really like Annette.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hated my name growing up; it's becoming more popular now, but as a kid I was the only one. And for some reason people always asked me, "Is that short for anything?' (yes, it is) The first few days of a new school year were always a pain, too, as I had to explain myself to a whole new bunch of nuns. (not an easy feat) I don't think I'd change it now, tho. I was named for several different family members, and I really like that I'm kind of a tribute to them.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be Abby Brown...nice and simple

My last name is terrible..I can't wait to change it after the wedding.

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like my name (Monica Anne) but my married last name is very common - almost 800,000 people in America with it. I liked my maiden name because it was unique, but it was very offensive to my husband when I suggested I keep it, so I changed it because I loved him (even though I didn't want to...!).

I have always loved the name Zora, or Zorana.
If I ever have a daughter, that is what I want to name her! Zorana Lillian! Zorana is a Slavic name that means "dawn" or "little dawn child" or something like that.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always liked my name (Jordan Alyse) although I go by the shortened version which is Jordi. My only problem is people can not spell Jordi they always spell it Jordie or Jordy and it bothers me. And a lot cant pronounce my middle name, its not hard its just my mom decided to spell it oddly! Most spell it Elise. But thats okay I like being unique!

I know when I have kids I want to name my daughter(s) either Addilynn Paige (call her Addy) or Felicity Mai (probably call her Lizzy)
I really like the name Addilynn but I want to name my son Gary Lynn so they will rhyme LOL!

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was younger, I did some thing for school where we had to see what famous people we had the same birthdays as. I found a fellow named Thursday October Christian and I thought that was the coolest name ever! I was born on a Monday, so I guess I'd be Monday October Christian.
I was a strange child.

spatulahandle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used to hate my name Melanie, but is has grown on me and it is not as common as a lot of other names. My mom was going to name me Melody because of her love for music but after I was born my dad decided he liked Melanie better because the name means dark or black and I was born at night. My middle name Barbra was my great grandma's middle name and my mom's first name. It means stranger. My maiden name is dutch and means happy and my married name is Patience...they both fit well. So I tell people, I am a dark stranger that is happy and patient...and no matter how well you know me, you really don't know me well.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I once knew a Welsh woman named Morfydd (pronounced, "Moraveeth"--roll the "r"). I think it means "Mermaid". Always liked her name. However, everyone was too lazy to learn the proper pronunciation, and called her "Morfid"! Yuck.

I like "Rosalie". My cat is named Marisa, which is very pretty. My other cat, Margaret, was supposed to be called "Marga", the Spanish short version of Margarita ("Pearl"), which is also pretty.

I always said if I had a girl, she'd be named Leah Miriam; a boy, Joshua David (all after the Biblical personages, and good Jewish names).

The neat thing about historical reenacting: you usually adopt a period name! In Civil War, I named myself Eveline, after an actual woman in the CW period. My "surname" was Hamilton. For Rev War, I'm still not decided: I'm leaning toward "Charlotte Lucinda". I may take a family name from the time period; oddly enough, one of those is also MY first name, but I want something different!

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really like my name, but if I had to change it I'd either want the name Summer or Claire. I've always liked both of those. I cant wait to get married so I have a different last name, I've never liked mine, way too plain sounding.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by snake lady

Some other names I like:

Kassandra, Kassidy, and Kiyomi.
How could I have forgotten Kassidy?!
I absolutely love that name!
If I ever would have had a daughter, that's what I would have named her.

Kassandra is a very pretty name, too.

I also love the names Samantha & Krystal.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd keep my name: Kelly

When I was a kid I didn't like it, but I love it now.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

How could I have forgotten Kassidy?!
I absolutely love that name!
If I ever would have had a daughter, that's what I would have named her.

Kassandra is a very pretty name, too.

I also love the names Samantha & Krystal.
My Mum knew she was going to call me Samantha since she was 5 years old. 12 years later she got her wish...