If they could choose the menu...

chinacat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Recently I was in a shop reading the back of a packet of dried cat food and the manufacturers made the rather dubious claim that it 'what your cat would naturally choose'. It got me thinking about what menu my cats would actually choose if it was up to them......this is what I think they would pick:

Newt - mayonnaise, butter, oil, spiders (but not the legs
), strawberry cheesecake Haagen Dazs, chicken pie, cooked sliced turkey breast (the more processed the better), cream

Ripley - tinned tuna, Whiskas Temptations, elastic bands (if she ever manages to get her paws on one she acts like it's the biggest delicacy in the world!), dried spaghetti, macaroni cheese, roast chicken

So, what would your cats choose?

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Genever would choose Ham Sandwiches!! Slathered with margarine of course, and a side of sardines. Vanilla ice cream for dessert. Peanuts for a snack.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Da Lip would love roasted chicken breast, no skin please, medium rare steak, roast pork, all washed down with liberal lashings of fried pork fat and popcorn

Da Magpie - corned beef, ham, chicken including skin, potato chips and chop bones to drag around

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aya would choose chicken, beef, pork, tuna (with juice please), Cheese! Cream cheese, butter.... or anything else I'm eating over her CD food.

laceface

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Haha, I love the food choices! My two wouldn't know what to do! As kittens, all they have ever eaten is what I feed them, so I would think they would stick with that, lol

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hilarious thread!

Tolly: mayonnaise, freshly roasted turkey, breast meat only, white meat chicken, sharp cheddar, green peas and green beans, ice cream

Mazy: mayonnaise....that's about it, she's not much of a people food eater

Jennie: mayonnaise, tomato sauce (her absolute favorite), cheddar cheese and anything else human food that I will let her try. She draws the line at vegetables though.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only "human food" that my cats have every really shown an interest in is chicken. A few of them also enjoy the occasional piece of cheese.

laceface

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I all ready responded once, but this made me think of my sister's kittens. She once gave them a bit of chicken nugget, and after that, ANYTHING she put remotely near her mouth, the crawled up and tried to steal from her hand. They are worse then any dog I have ever seen.
So, if they could choose their dinner each day, it would be the contents of your plate and fridge. Specifics are unnecessary.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laceface

I all ready responded once, but this made me think of my sister's kittens. She once gave them a bit of chicken nugget, and after that, ANYTHING she put remotely near her mouth, the crawled up and tried to steal from her hand. They are worse then any dog I have ever seen.
So, if they could choose their dinner each day, it would be the contents of your plate and fridge. Specifics are unnecessary.
Yes, as your sister has learned, it is best not to start trying people food on cats until they are adult and their eating habits are formed. Kittens should not ahve people food.

Also, some general advice, to avoid that kind of human food mongering problem, begging while humans are eating, do not feed the cats your food while you are eating it.

Wait until after you eat, then save a bit, and go away from the human eating area, and make a little ritual of Treat Time. This prevents begging habits from developing.

george's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This thread is too funny

George: cake donuts, bacon, processed turkey, olives - black or green, tuna water, melon and Temptation Treats.

Ellie's not a big people-food eater - but loves tuna water and recently found out, cheese. Huge Temptation Treats fan.

python

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Siamese from years ago loved curry - the hotter the better and ham and mustard sandwiches. English mustard is quite strong. She loved them.

We had another cat who liked Custard Creams (biscuits - cookies). She would literally fly from the other side of the room, knock the biscuit out of my hand and run away with it with a look of triumph on her face.

Whenever we had visitors, we had to warn them to watch out for the cat

bella_donna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sasha doesn't really do human food apart from fresh cod (cooked), but will devour any fly or moth she comes across (yeeuuch!)

Pixie on the other hand will eat all sorts given half the chance - fish, chicken, cheese, cauliflower (??)

Tippy
used to love spare ribs - she would fish the bones out of the box if we weren't careful. I found some strewn on the kitchen floor one morning...

Ben
once came in with what we thought was a mouse in his mouth - turned out to be a lump of roast beef with a piece of string attached

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK - my living situation doesn' really have me cooking and eating too much in my condo, but here is what I do know...

Tex - ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING. He is my 9 and a half pound Hoover vac. He would dine on plain boiled shrimp, roast beef, chicken, whole wheat raisin bread (tried to pull a two pound loaf off the dining table and rip it open), lunch meat turkey of any kind, canned tuna, salmon.... my sandwiches...my cereal.... pastry..... sighhh.... he is also my biggest puker... any guesses as to why?

Archie - pretty much the same except for the puking, but I did discover that he doesn't like mock crab - you know - the stuff they put in some of the sushi rolls... Oh, almost forgot - chicken salad sandwich - lettuce, tomato, mayo, celery, croissant and all! NOOOOMMMMM, NOM Nom, nom.... And pastry - danish, muffins, ginger-molasses cookies, very nearly swiped one off the counter.... and the list goes on...

The rest - Ghost, Jake, Prowler and Rex want many of the same things - usually whatever is in my sandwich or on my plate. Jake and Prow WILL MUG ME for fruity yogurt and vanilla ice cream... Yeah, Ghost does too.

Casper doesn't really get exposed to this stuff b/c he hides upstairs. But I have shared turkey sandwiches with him in the past and he likes that a lot!

Their favorite cat treats are EVO herring and salmon dry kibble and PureBites freeze dried, cooked chicken. Prow and Rex PURRRRRRRRR when they eat that!

ETA: forgot to mention that Archie is my fly killer and eater in the house... if it buzzes, it's dead and chewed! Gross, I know, but hey.. he's a cat!

tinkermiss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Phoenix: I think if she choose her food it would be cheese, potatoes, sour cream, roast beef, and butter.

Tinkerbell: This weirdo would go for the veggies. If I turn my head well I am eating I lose some veggies.

Mischief will eat anything and everything that goes in my mouth.

Last night for example I had just sat down with my asparagus and beef. I get up to get a drink of milk..... come back and my asparagus is gone. 4 pieces stashed under the end table and Tink just nibbling away. My roast beef was taken by Mischief and a piece or potatoe was taken by Phoenix. I would love to have a meal without food being snatched. We even have a door on the dining room but they still manage to get in.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Python

My Siamese from years ago loved curry - the hotter the better and ham and mustard sandwiches. English mustard is quite strong. She loved them.

We had another cat who liked Custard Creams (biscuits - cookies). She would literally fly from the other side of the room, knock the biscuit out of my hand and run away with it with a look of triumph on her face.

Whenever we had visitors, we had to warn them to watch out for the cat
flash loves hot curries to......both flash and sooty would choose anything and everything.....im sure they think if the humans can eat it we can to lmao