if anyones outthere at 3:20am

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please call your local Child and Family Services Department- if you look up family services or welfare services in the government section of your phone book you'll find the number. The last time I went through counseling with CFS it only cost me $18 a visit. They will charge on a sliding scale and many of their services are free. The counselor will typically be a Licensed Clinical Social Worker and they do have psychiatrists to moniter your progress. I know a lot of folks are wary of goverment funded programs where your counselor isn't a Ph.D, but I'm a social worker myself and I know the type of training involved. We are cheaper- but not lower in quality.

You might also look up "Community Mental Health" in the yellow pages and find an agency that goes on a sliding scale- using licensed community mental health counselors or masters degree level social workers.

If you start counselling and feel that medication would be helpful in coping with your anxiety there are numerous patient assistance programs, which a counselor can point you in the direction of. I don't pay anything for my asthma medicine- there are programs like that for mental health medicines as well.

You can start here:

http://www.dhs.state.mn.us/main/grou...id_003494.hcsp

ricalynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by esrgirl

Please call your local Child and Family Services Department- if you look up family services or welfare services in the government section of your phone book you'll find the number. The last time I went through counseling with CFS it only cost me $18 a visit. They will charge on a sliding scale and many of their services are free. The counselor will typically be a Licensed Clinical Social Worker and they do have psychiatrists to moniter your progress. I know a lot of folks are wary of goverment funded programs where your counselor isn't a Ph.D, but I'm a social worker myself and I know the type of training involved. We are cheaper- but not lower in quality.

You might also look up "Community Mental Health" in the yellow pages and find an agency that goes on a sliding scale- using licensed community mental health counselors or masters degree level social workers.
I called a mental health referral service, and I began by seeing a social worker. She is the one that convinced me to see a psychiatrist for medication. I was initially wary of not seeing a PhD, but it's not as much about the alphabet soup behind their name as it is about the relationship YOU the patient have with the individual counselor.

And Gayef is absolutely right: if they ask "What's bothering you?" the honest answer is everything! (but I seriously doubt they will phrase it like that
) They are professionals, they will know how to tailor their questions to find out what they need to know.
Dear one, you've already done the hard part, admitting that you NEED help. If you follow the advice you've been given about contacting Family Services or a Mental Health center, you should be well on your way to getting that help. Don't let your parents discourage you from getting what YOU need to be happy and healthy. I know they are worried about the finances, but they should be more concerned that their daughter is healthy. Lots of hugs and ((((vibes)))) coming your way that you will find the words to get it through to them this weekend. I know you'll keep us posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

save_adopt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
update: Looks like were calling the people from the brochure. They will talk to me and decide if i need to go to see a threapist. Oh i hope they dont flat out ask whats wrong with me. Please send some vibes my way. And thank you all for all your help.

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm late getting to this thread, but I'm so glad that you are going to seek help. Everyone has been so right-on: there is something that could quite easily be diagnosed and treated.

I definitely agree with Diane- this sounds exactly like GAD from what I remember from psychology classes and having a mother with GAD.

Whatever it is, I hope you are able to find help. Going through something like this can be very isolating- just remember that you are NOT alone and that there are people who care for you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

save_adopt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
update: I went and saw a therapist today. it went very well! I didn't have a panic attack, and she just seemed like a very nice overall person. Today was just the basic question and answer thing. But i am almost excited to go back, she seems very understanding. My next appt. is on the 3rd...long wait, oh well. Just thought i would let you all know where i am with this, and thank you all for being so supportive!

oh yea, we had to buy a 436 page book! Called "The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook" its huge!!!!! I feel like im back in school!