If A Mama Kitty Eats One Of Her Babies, Will There Be Any Signs?

redneckprincess

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
basically I had five kittens and today I went in and there were four. I know that it's possible she moved/hid the one but we have the cat and kittens in my garage in a large dog run/kennel with chicken wiring all around it, cardboard, and a cover. Now that being said we used to house a feral cat in our garage and she escaped out of this (before all the cardboard, duct tape and chicken wire.... when it was just a dog run with a cover) anyway it's very unlikely that kitten got out of this or mama got out of this and somehow back in. I'm not saying it's impossible, just not likely. That being said, there's still a missing kitten. I'm wondering if she ate the kitten. Would there be any signs if that was the case? Would there be bones? Blood? Here's why I think she ate them. Mama is around a year old. She's young (I foster, btw, so these aren't my cats) and these aren't actually her babies. They got put with her because they were so young, just one week old when they came to stay with me. Mama had her babies and they were three weeks old, well the place I foster for decided to have me foster these babies with this mom and not her babies because the foster coordinator was afraid the three week olds would crush the one week olds. mama took them on with no problem, though idk how long they were together before the coordinator decided that they would be okay together. Anyway... mama stopped eating a few days ago. I tried giving her different types of canned food while also keeping one brand of hard food in there. She didn't touch any of it. Finally (after what I think was too late) we found a food she liked and I also gave her some tuna. She was small before but by now she looked really skinny. Then today I go in to check on everyone and one kitten was missing. The problem is I don't know how long he or she has been missing... I made the mistake of trying to give them alone time since they were only about a week to two weeks old... I know they needed time with the Mom. So I was gonna leave them alone. Now I feel horrible because I don't know what happened to this little kitten or where he or she is. There's no sign of him/her anywhere. Which makes me think maybe she ate him... would she have eaten him with him being around two weeks old? And would there be any signs? I don't see anything he's just gone, completely gone. No bones or blood or anything. It's sad, too... he's one of the only kittens I had named so far. He kinda looked like Smiguel from lord of the rings to me so I named him/her that.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sorry I dont have time nor patience to read the lenghy post. No, often there are no traces. In nature, this is the point of the whole: no traces of the deceased kitten, to not attract predators nor ants....

so its not a bad mamma, but sooner, a good mamma instinct, to give the surviving babies best chances.

That said, the most probable the kitten is hidden somewhere, alive or dead. so proceed to seek!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
redneckprincess redneckprincess

Cats do sometimes eat a kitten. You may never know what happened.

I am concerned that your cat needs to see a vet ASAP. If a cat stops eating she is sick, especially a nursing cat. She may have an infection and need antibiotics.

Are you weighing these kittens daily to ensure they are getting enough milk and growing?

Does your cat live in the garage all the time?

Do you plan to spay her when these kittens wean?

Please get her to a vet! She is not well.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, are you saying that you took away your cat's kittens and gave her the new litter instead? Where are the older kittens?

I agree that mom needs to see a vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

redneckprincess

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No she does not live in the garage all the time. She is not my cat, she is a foster. The cat is eating regularly now. The place I foster for spays when they get adopted.

And I'm saying that the foster coordinator for the organization I foster for took away her three week old babies (idk what they did, if they are bottle feeding or sticking with another mom, I didn't ask) and gave her the one week old babies and then gave them to me. I had no part in the decision. I just take the cat/kittens she gives me.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They in the shelter probably though its easier to handraise 3 week old kittens, than 1 week old orphans...

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she ate the kitten, she would be careful to clean up afterward thus ensuring the safety of the others. If the kitten died, likely from a covert medical problem such as heart or respiratory failure, and she could not relocate the rest of the litter, then it is possible that she ate it.
.....and kudos to you for fostering!!! :rock: