Idiopathic hepatitis

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have known of cases where Keppra gave a respite....just hoping for the best one way or another. Please remember you can come here whenever you need to post, or just vent. :redheartpump:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KK300

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks.

He's had another fit, so had further keppra dose. Apparently he's now settled, with just some occasionally twitches. Vet still planning to go ahead with imaging tomorrow.
I just don't know what to think. I went out today, it was just awful coming back to the house without him here, he's always my first priority on getting home, not hearing his meow when I got in broke me.

KK300

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet phoned early this morning, and it was clear that there were no options left.
Our beloved Sammy crossed Rainbow Bridge a couple of hours ago.
Can’t imagine life without him.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so so sorry, I know what that feels like.
Your Sammy couldn't be any prouder of you.
You didn't fail him, you tried your best, and he knows it.
Your life without him will be a different one, surely a sadder one, but one day Sammy will guide you to another kitty in need of lots of love, the love that only you will be able to provide.
And Sammy will be proud of you again.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. You helped him to fight a very serious illness and I firmly believe that animals know that we are there supporting them and loving them. Let yourself grieve as much as you need, and hopefully eventually the sad memories of these recent days will be replaced by memories of happy times with him.

Yes, another cat, someday, would be very fortunate to share your life and love as Sammy did.

KK300

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much.

He's with us in the living room at the moment, and will spend the night in our bedroom before cremation tomorrow morning. We spent the evening sitting outside in his favourite spot, reminiscing.

I just can't imagine life without him.

KK300

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. You helped him to fight a very serious illness and I firmly believe that animals know that we are there supporting them and loving them. Let yourself grieve as much as you need, and hopefully eventually the sad memories of these recent days will be replaced by memories of happy times with him.

Yes, another cat, someday, would be very fortunate to share your life and love as Sammy did.
The vet told us that he was apparently hallucinating, and being very aggressive, despite normally being the most gentle cat you could imagine. When we went in to him, I think he relaxed bit, and seemed to respond to our voices. He crossed peacefully, with us stroking him.

We sat outside with him (in his bed) this evening, and opened a bottle of champagne to celebrate his life.

He was a rescue cat, dumped in a box as a kitten, but his life held so much meaning to us.

I don't think I could do this again.

KK300

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who responded to this thread. The fact that you have taken the time to read and respond to this thread just means so much.

I was trying to find a way of saving my boy, but nothing could be done.

At the end, the vet was so kind and sensitive. We were with Sammy when he passed.

I just can't imagine life without him. At the moment, he is with us, and we are able to stroke him and talk to him. I am finding the finality of cremation really difficult.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I don't think that people here on TCS only take the time to respond but are genuinely concerned for the welfare of cats and in particular for those like Sammy who have fought the good fight for as long as it was possible.

You did the hardest and bravest thing you could do for him when there was no more to be done. Take each day one at a time and remember that you can come here to talk about your feelings and memories as much as you need to. Today seems insurmountable as it always does with a loss.

You gave Sammy, the rescued kitten from the box, an incredible life, and helped him to fight, and live successfully for a while, with a condition that most would have turned away from....even good pet owners. Whatever time Sammy was meant to have here on earth, you helped him to live all of it.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am so sorry to be reading this :hugs:. My heart aches for you. Yes, it's hard to imagine life without him, but as time goes by, it will get easier. I lost my soul cat about four years ago and really didn't know how I would go on, but go on I did. Now when I think of him I do it with a smile on my face, remembering all the good times we had.

Also want to say that when one of our cats passed (previous to my soul cat), my husband told me he simply could not go through loving and losing an animal ever again, so we had no animals at all for some time. My husband could see how desperately I wanted another cat, so one day he drove me to a rescue and told me to go inside and pick out a cat. He said he couldn't go inside because it would hurt too much, but I should do it. So I did, and I picked out a lovely Calico and we took her home. She immediately became HIS cat! They loed each other so much it was uncanny. A week later a friend needed someone to take her cat, so we took him in and he turned out to be my soul cat. Right now you may think you never want to go through loving and losing another cat (or dog) again too,just like my husband, but never say never. When (or if) the time is right, your heart may heal enough to make room for another.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He was a rescue cat, dumped in a box as a kitten, but his life held so much meaning to us.

I don't think I could do this again.
Oh yes, you will, and you'll be surprised at how easy it is, and you'll be happy and proud you are saving another soul in distress.
People like you are misteriously guided to cats in difficulty, and you will even think that Sammy has led you that poor soul that needs love and care. You will feel him by your side.
You won't ever forget Sammy, you will never replace him in your heart, but you'll find out that you have much more room in your heart than you imagine. Sammy and all the new cats you'll have in your life may live together, side by side, in your heart.

I was like you a few years ago, when both my cats left me after a long life together. I thought I would have never been able to open my heart again. Well, I was wrong, and all the people in this forum were right.

Take care of yourself, take your time. One day a new cat will knock on your heart.

KK300

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad I found this site, you are all so kind, and it has really helped to speak to people who don't make me feel like some inadequate because my closest friend happens to be a cat.

Mrsgreenjeans, your description of a 'soul cat' really resonates with me. I had cats during my childhood, and then from my late thirties, but Sammy absolutely felt like my soul cat. He seemed to possess an old soul, with the wisdom that came with that. He was intelligent, funny, sometimes loud and sometimes quiet and pensive. He was a prolific food thief, and the only time he hissed at me was when I caught him with a large, uncooked, fillet of beef in his mouth and he refused to give it back. He slept on my pillow at night, with his chin resting on my forehead. He sat outside the shower cubicle whilst I was showering, sat on my desk when I was using the computer, and was rarely more than two feet away from me. In short, he was such a special little friend. I just hope we meet again eventually.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so glad I found this site, you are all so kind, and it has really helped to speak to people who don't make me feel like some inadequate because my closest friend happens to be a cat.

We here at TheCatSite truly "get it". No one here would ever say "it's just a cat" :nono:. They are our family members. To me, they are as much family as a child would be if I had any.

He slept on my pillow at night, with his chin resting on my forehead. He sat outside the shower cubicle whilst I was showering, sat on my desk when I was using the computer, and was rarely more than two feet away from me. In short, he was such a special little friend. I just hope we meet again eventually.

Although my Tinky is not my soul cat, he does this, and I love him with all my heart. When he's on my lap and I sing to him, he actually "sings" back :redheartpump:. How special is that! But there was just something different about Sven. I guess one can only have one soul cat, but that still doesn't mean every other one can't be oh so special. And my Darko is very special too, but in a completely different way. He's more like a normal cat. When I call his name, he usually ignores me, doesn't sleep with me as often, etc. But between the two of them, I can't tell you which one I love more. I'm just telling you this to let you know there IS life after losing a soul cat :alright:

Last edited:

KK300

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The experience at the Cremation was not what I was expecting. The place had glowing reviews, yet we had to walk past loudly-barking dogs, to what was essentially a shipping container, where the owner was not exactly empathetic. It felt rushed and lacking in any empathy. My mum came with us, and was really upset by the experience. I was tempted to walk away, and take Sammy somewhere else, but it had been so hard to get to the point of having him cremated.

We now have him at home with us. My plan is that when I go, he will be put in my casket, and we will be together forever.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am sorry that you had this experience. All of my animals have been cremated and on occasion the service has been more "business" than support. Sammy is home with you now forever and I hope that you can take some comfort in that.

KK300

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you
I am trying to focus on the fact that he will now always be with us.
I just miss him so much, the pain is horrendous.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you had to experience such a bad adventure for your Sammy's last voyage. Sometimes things aren't like reviews say, and I wonder why... or not...
What counts is that he's at home with you, forever.

I had to cremate several cats (both mine and from my colony) and I've been so lucky to find this place where the owner always wants to listen to what his grieving customers have to say.
I wish you were close to my area.

Take care.

KK300

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We are really struggling to deal with his loss. He was only 11 yo, and should have had years ahead of him. He was such a wonderful friend, a really gentle soul. He was so special.

He was such a huge part of us. We are just devastated by his loss.

I don't know how to go froward without him.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know, it's always so hard to deal with the loss of much beloved pet.
I still can't get over it more than 4 years later... I hope you can have a quicker recovery.