Idiopathic Epileptic Seizure

Violet Roots

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cat, Gino, began having fairly violent seizures last Monday. We took him to the vet on Tuesday and they prescribed Keppra- 250mg 8 hrs apart. That in itself is difficult to do, but we are doing it for the time being to give him, and us, a little relief from the seizures.
It worked really well (as far as we know) for 3 days, then Friday morning he had another and has continued to have them through the weekend with varying frequency and severity.
We are currently home to keep him safe during a seizure, and will be talking to the vet tomorrow about adjusting dosage or medication, etc.
But our main concern right now is keeping him safe if he has a seizure when we aren't home (you know, like work...). We have two other cats and a dog and don't want anyone to get hurt. We've considered putting him in a room by himself when we aren't home and making it as safe as possible (things are destroyed during a seizure, and he could hurt himself), but don't really have a room to dedicate to that. A large kennel may work, but don't want his paws to get caught in the grate... plus how boring for him for 8-9 hours...
We really need any advice on this- what have other people done for their epileptic kitties to keep them safe????

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Instead of a wire crate, you can use a mesh one such as this: Cat with rear leg cast, Advice please

A bathroom is usually a good place as a "safe room" as long as you put everything potentially breakable or hazardous away into a cabinet or closet. Keep the light on or a nightlight on if the bathroom has no window.

Is the Keppra a liquid or a pill? If it's a pill, try a Pill Pocket or one of these methods:

Pilling Cats: Must-know Tips For Hiding Pills – TheCatSite Articles
The Best Pill-taking Secret I Know...
Pilling Cats and Dogs Safely
How We Give Our Pill Hating Cat A Pill
Getting Cat To Take Pills... Post Tips Here.

If it's a liquid, you may be able to hide it in a bit of moist treat such as those Churu lickable treats or just some gravy canned cat food.

Ask the vet if the medicine can be compounded into another form. Wedgewood Pharmacy lists these options: Levetiracetam Medication & Information for Animals A local compounding pharmacy can also do this. A capsule can be pulled apart and the medicine mixed directly into a bit of moist food. Transdermal gel is a good option for cats who won't eat "tainted" food. You apply to the inside nonfurry part of the ear with a cotton swab or gloved finger.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Violet Roots

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your reply!
We actually have the medication down pretty well- we just crush it and mix it in with a little wet food. He gobbles it right up.
Really the part I'm most concerned about is him seizing when we're not home. I didn't know about mesh crates, I'll definitely look into that. He's torn a couple of claws out at this point, so anything they can get caught in is better avoided.
We've considered the bathroom, and honestly, that may be the best option, other than a crate, but banging his head off the tub would be a concern then... or maybe I'm just being overly cautious...

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hopefully someone who has experience with seizures in cats will post their tips and suggestions:vibes: