identification help please :)

vusiff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello everyone!
new to the site and i just adopted a kitten last night from the local shelter. she's a sweetheart, very playful and curious. they didnt know her breed at the shelter and was hoping one of you fine professionals could help me. she looks to be siamese mix but im not great at ID'ing cats. here are some photos. her eyes are reddish and a little splash of blue. depending on what type of light you see her in, sometimes they are very red sometimes just pinkish. thanks for your help!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
By definition, if you don't have papers for her, she's a Domestic Shorthair (DSH). She's certainly pretty. What color are her eyes?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since she doesn't have any hint of points like a Siamese would (even if a red or cream point), then she would not be a Siamese. She will end up as a blue or gold eye white domestic shorthair.

Even a red or cream point would have some hint of color on the head, ears, face, tail and paws. I don't see that on the photos.

How old is she?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vusiff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
she is about 10-12 weeks. her eyes are red with a hint of blue from time to time. any more info that might help yall please feel free to ask. thanks for the responses!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At that age, if she was a pointed kitten, you would see the point color. She will be a blue or gold eye white as I said.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by vusiff

her eyes are reddish and a little splash of blue. depending on what type of light you see her in, sometimes they are very red sometimes just pinkish.
Blue eyed cats will have their eyes reflect orange-red if a bright light is shined at them. Their eyes will also look this color if caught wrong in a camera flash. Is this what you are referring to? If so, that is not her eye color, it's just a reflection. Blue eyed white cats are often deaf, did your vet check for this?

Now, true albino cats actually do have the pink albino eyes. You'd know if you were seeing this, your vet would have said something. They are rare.

Can you provide a better picture of her face taken during the daytime when she's sitting in natural sunlight?

vusiff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i will try to provide a better picture later today when i have a chance. on the topic of eye color, when my roomate holds her and she is say 5ft away or so the red is very very noticeable. i would say this is when her eyes look the reddest/pinkest. when i have her up close and she looks at me thats when i start seeing the hints of blue. with her small size and short hair she has almost a pinkish glow on her less furry areas (ears, around her face). the reason i had made the statement i thought she was Siamese is the way her head is shaped. she has more of that triangular head with big ears. the paperwork i got from the shelter just says possible Siamese mixed/ albino.

let me take this chance to say thanks again for all of your help!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes type wise she is more Siamese and could have it in the background, but not be pointed. I would call it "Oriental" rather then Siamese as its more likely an Oriental SH in the background - not a Siamese.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd be very interested to see pics of her eyes if she's a pink eyed albino (without flash, in daylight), I've never seen a good pic.

vusiff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well i tried, yet failed at trying to get a decent picture of her eyes. my cameras broken so all i have to work with is my cellphone and they dont come out right. when her pupils are large her eyes are red as can be, its when her pupils get small that the blue comes out.
but good news i brought her to her initial kitty exam at my vet and they confirmed she is an albino
. once i get a new camera i will take a good picture for all to see.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, the vet cinches it then. I hope you can eventually get and share some good pictures of her. Remember natural lighting will always look best with her lighter eyes, so if you can get pictures of her in front of a windows they should look great.

Practice, get good at taking pictures. Maybe you can get some published at some point - simply due to the fact that it's harder to find really good quality albino cat pictures.

mysterycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think that is a white american shorhair cat, just a guess
there are lots of that in the Philippines.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MysteryCat

I think that is a white american shorhair cat, just a guess
there are lots of that in the Philippines.
LOL, would it be an American shorthair in the Philippines?
. A domestic shorthair, I imagine. It's interesting that she really is albino! Very rare. I know there are certain health issues associated with albinism in most species, you migth want to ask your vet about whether albino cats have anything to watch for. I do know she'll have to stay out of the sun. Without any coloring to protect her, skin cancer is a risk on the ears and nose especially.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
TS, if you really want to see a siamese mix in her, so think Balinese which is really a variation of siamese. Look this out.

Im sure you would save a homeless kitten anyway to have as your furry friend.
But it is nice to sometimes get full reward already in this live without needing to waiting for the afterlife; thus have a furry friend AND a real beuty!

Lets hope her being an albino dont get her being deaf - as some albinos are.

Good luck and much pleasure!